Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
New Camper

Well are so far loving the Zinger even if we only got to use it a couple of times. We have it in a permanent site and they are closed now for the season. We will miss it. The question is a lot of the other permanent TT that are there cover their campers. I was wondering if this is a good thing and should I consider doing this for next year. If it is a good idea what should I cover it with? I see some use just that blue tarp stuff but I would think that that stuff would not breath at all and possibly cause mold. What is everyones idea on this?
italian12G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Look in the Sunset Trail for a post about this.

General consensus here is NOT to cover. I do not cover ours (we are also seasonal). Many people we camp with cover. Each has pros and cons. Generally, it is up to you.

IF you DO cover, buy a high quality RV cover (ADCO is one). Maybe shop Camping World website for different ones. DO NOT JUST USE TARPS AND BUNGEES. This will ruin your roof and sidewalls with chafing, etc.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Jim, we also have a Zinger and were going to cover it until we started reading about the roof warranty, etc. If you cover, the roof will not be able to "breathe" or whatever it does. And if you have a failure, the warranty may not apply. From my information, I believe Crossroads does not recommend covering. You could call them directly at their customer service number. My contact is Andi Mileswho is in the warranty department and her number is 260-593-3850 ext 2407. If you speak to Andi, please share with us what she says. Thanks.</span>
</span>
Waiting for warmer camping weather,</span>
Jean</span>
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I bought my Zinger from Camping World in DeForest, WI. I too thought I should cover. When I asked Camping World (who sells the covers), they said NOT to as it can't breathe. This was the sales department.

So I haven't. If sales tells you not to, why would you?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Not going to comment on the cover debate but I would never base a decision on what a sales deptartment said. I'll bet if you asked 3 different salespeople you would get different answers. JMO
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I want a simple nylon cover to keep dust and UV rays off my TT. I don't see what a nylon cover would hurt.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

We picked up our new ST25RB early February 2012 &amp; took it to Florida few weeks later. Picked up an ADCO Premium RV cover at Camping world while there &amp;installed it once back home on a warm sunny day. We leave it on when trailer is not in use. Took it off this past summer before heading out again &amp; trailer is still clean &amp; shiny, and interior of trailer had very little if no dust (we leave both air vents open thru winter). I noticed absolutely no "scuff" marks anywhere on trailer....and there were plenty of windy days, with cover flapping. Cover material is very soft &amp;waterproof yet "breathable". It is also "ported" to allow air flow thru it. Roof remained extremely clean (we have lots of trees around our home).....andfading from UV rays from direct exposure under sun is probably negligable with the cover on. Our old Citation trailer which we owned for 14 years was never covered &amp; roof membrane was all dry &amp; cracked &amp; developed many leaks over the years. I can't see how this coverwould not help prolong life of the trailer. Edited by: Tonemeister
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I agree with Tonemeister.

We have covered our last two units since we park in a yard with lots of trees. The times I didn't put the cover on meant clogged gutters from all the small sticks/leaves/etc. from the roof. Then I had to deal with black streaks.</span>
</span>
It takes me less than 15 minutes to cover it and 5 to uncover it. Never had any damage from the cover or mildew/mold on the roof.</span>
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

For what it's worth, this question &amp; responseis from Frequently Asked Questions under Buyer's Tools on Crossroads' home page:

Q: "Should I cover my RV with a tarpaulin or canvas cover when it is not in use?"

A: " It is not recommended that your RV be wrapped with any type of cover. The rubber roof material
needs to breathe and be allowed to dry thoroughly to prevent mold and mildew. According to the
roof material supplier the chalky look of the rubber is normal. Parking under an overhang or in a
large garage is acceptable."

Wish I had access to a large garage. After 7 seasons outsidemy graphics are deteriorating rapidly. Dealer in Denver is putting together the costs to replace. Waiting for Crossroads to respond back to them with part numbers and costs. Then again, the Denver RV Show is in 2 months. New rig? New truck? Hmmmmm.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy
Not going to comment on the cover debate but I would never base a decision on what a sales deptartment said. I'll bet if you asked 3 different salespeople you would get different answers. JMO

I am sure you would get 3 different answers if not 4. But one can still make a valid point as compared to just selling you something.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmataz
Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy

I am sure you would get 3 different answers if not 4. But one can still make a valid point as compared to just selling you something.

Which one of the four different points do you trust for validity? My point is there are better sources. The forum is one, you get difference of opinionbut you at least know they have experience. JMO</span>
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote