Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We just winterized our rig this weekend. We are seasonal campers, and many of my neighbors winterize this last weekend of camping also. Some of us cover our A/C units on the roof and others don't. Some think it will help keep moisture out. Others think it might trap moisture in. I was wondering if anyone on here has an opinion. Cover or not?

2006 Zinger 32SB
CamperBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I have always covered my A/C units, we did not use our 5th wheel this year, I winterized last October and covered the A/C units and the tires, still sitting the same way...I also raise the day/nite shades and cover all the windows with aluminum foil, keeps the shades from rotting in the sun and helps svave the furniture, I do keep all the furniture covered, the window job is not fun but it keeps all the sun out....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I had always covered our a/c when I stored our old trailer outside. This will be the first winter my Sunset Trail has seen snow and weather. Both the campground owner as well as the repair facility I take it to agree that the trailer itself should not be covered, which I have never done. I just chatted with RV Tech yesterday and they advised it is best to cover the A/C to keep moisture out. Otherwise it can freeze the motor. Apparently not normally a hard fix (grab it and turn) but it can sometimes lock it up bad enough that you need to replace it.Edited by: papa2

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We don't cover ours. We don't want the wind all winter rubbing a cover over it and wearing away the roofing.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I know this answer is coming a year late but, here's the issue with covering AC units. The units themselves can take the weather. But, if you live in New England, or similar weather, what happens is that snow falls all over the unit. Then the sun comes out and melts some of the snow, then night comes and it freezes. Pretty soon, you have freezing mush under the AC unit and when mush freezes, it expands. You may see your AC unit being pulled out of its mounts like a jack was placed under it and jacked up. I've seen AC units pulled right up out of it's mounts. So, cover it with a tarp that goes about two feet away from the AC unit in all directions if you are in New England type weather.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Jim,

Do you have any suggestions on fastening down the tarp? Do I just tie it down or are you weighting it to hold it in place?

Dave

Edited by: n36078
n36078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I use milk cartons, half filled with water. If they break, so what. Lay them flat.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I don't have milk cartons (kids are long gone) but I should be able to come up with something that will work. Thanks for the idea.

Dave
n36078 is offline   Reply With Quote