Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

First Trip under my belt with 26rl

Howdy
First I need to thank everyone that has posted on this site, without those posts, tricks and recommendation, I would not have been able to make this first trip safe and enjoyable.

First trip was to Hanover NH at a city owned camp, Storrs Pond http://www.storrspond.org/ Actually we liked it small and quiet.

It was about 104 miles from our house took a couple of hours with pit stops for dog.

All went well except for one minor thing. Water hose wasn’t long enough at site to reach faucet so had to pick up another one up at the friendly Walmart. I need to learn how to use the trailer brakes in combination with the Yukon better. And get better at building speed for hills
That’s it, all and all good trip.

Never planned to buy 26’ , was looking for 20 footer ish they all looked as we had expected, then the salesman said “let me show you this one while I go get more keys to open up the others, it’s not in your price range or length”…….....zing hooked.

Now if you feel like reading here’s the background scope.

Everything ran fine and smooth, no sway felt like under control. Plenty of power to pull out in traffic. At different speed with no one around, tested stopping hard, jerked steering wheel side to side to test sway, all was good.

Averaged 10 miles to gallon, speed 50 – 60, engine rpm was around 2000-2500, engine temp stayed same, tranny temp averaged 190 -202, only once did it get to 218 after shifting a bunch on a hill. I think the TV was happy most of the time.

Keeping her happy is my goal. I’m lucky to have a set of scales about 20 min from house, I must have been there a dozen times in the last couple months testing different configurations. I’ve got a half ton, 5.3 L, 3.73 rear with GCWR of 13000 ish. (yes I have been thinking about ¾ ton but not this year) Have WD hitch with added sway bar. TV is level, TT is couple inchs nose up.(may lower another notch and test)

Highest weight test load was 13500, didn’t want to go any higher even testing. Engine specs were the same as above with this load. After further modifications and weight reductions I’m now at about 200 lbs. over max with full load (people, food, dog, gas). Tongue weight around 12% ish,

All my axle ratings and payloads are under max. I’m adding oil and tranny cooler, HD brake pads to TV next visit to shop. Everything runs well, and I still have a few pound to cut if I wanted.

In order for this to work for me you need to understand our camping plan, background and ways I cut back on weight. We come from the boating world had a 28 ft cabin cruiser same issues weight and no place to put stuff.

Over the years we have learned there are certain things we have to carry no exceptions. Wine, Beer, Tea. 2 tea pots, 2 coffee pots and 2 frying pans one for gas stove and one electric. Enough canned food, drinks, dry goods for two days in case we get marooned. Everything else is up for grabs and we can do without.

Both of us still work full time, that leaves the weekends for camping, 1 – 3 nights max.

I live in Mass on NH boarder, we only want to drive 1- 4 hrs, that gives us access to most of Mass, Maine, NH and Vermont

Three quarters of the trip is on major highways with populated side roads. That means I don’t carry many tools or a jack to change tire, just lug wrench. I figure a tow truck is no more than an hour away.

I have 30 gal gas tank I only need ½ tank to make it most destinations, plenty of gas stations on the way if needed. Swapped out the 2 30lbs gas tanks for 1 20 lb tank. Had 2 swivel chairs in trailer, took one out, now it’s the dog bed spot.

Don’t carry any water in fresh or gray tank, just a little in black tank. Have a gallon jug of water for the emergency flush potty break in trailer if needed. My idea of potty break is off the side of the road, co-pilot needs dunking donuts or McDonalds, if they can’t be found in the trailer.

I still carry outside tables, chairs, grills, floor mat, chocks, and couple of blocks of wood for leveling and a butterfly walking stick she made me carry.

We have another 6 -7 more trips planned this year, to figure things out.

So far I’m saving money with this camping thing. At least that’s what the sales clerk at camping world tell every time I check out.

“See buying all this and you saved 100 dollars today”

Something’s wrong with that but I haven’t figured it out yet…….pete

2011 Zinger ZT-26 RL
2008 Yukon
pripaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Just finished our maiden voyage with my 27RL. No issues noted.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
Congrats on the trailer and enjoy your trips. Glad everything went well for you.

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I forgot to mention in post that i used the tow haul mode and kept it in third gear all the way. Seems i have 2and a half gear somewhere....lol

While cruising in 3rd if i give it more gas it drops down a little gear it seems, if i give it more gas then it goes into 2 (assuming) never noticed that before.

Another strange thing is the car seems to be performing better after long trip. There were times in the beginning of the trip when it shifted into second that i blew out soot buildup from my normal easy driving.

I suppose i should be careful not blow out engine out of exhaust...
pete

2011 Zinger ZT-26 RL
2008 Yukon
Old 06-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

The half gear you feel is the electric torque converter locking up. Give it a little gas and it unlocks.

Glad things are going good for you.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ext. Cab 8' bed.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesz28 View Post
The half gear you feel is the electric torque converter locking up. Give it a little gas and it unlocks.
Thanks for taking time to post, didn't know that, pete

2011 Zinger ZT-26 RL
2008 Yukon