Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

New zinger 280rk owner, highly frustrated

Hello all, looking for some opinions and guidance here. I bought a new 2018 zinger 280rk in April and it has been in the shop a total of approx 6 months since then. I’ll try to keep it short but give enough info on what’s going on.

April 2018 - picked camper up new from dealer in GA.

Used camper 1 weekend trip in May.

Late May took in for leakcoming in around window inside wall on slide out.

Picked up late June, they put in new window and also damaged aluminum siding under window. I accepted back because I didn’t want them to replace siding which would require taking out another window.

Camped July 4th weekend, rained and leaked. Had to store and wait for dealer to make room until late July.

Dropped off at dealer late July. Told to go ahead and fix siding they damaged along with find the leak . Took about a month to find the leak, in the mean time they find the entire slide out exterior wall studs have water damage. Decided complete slide needs to be rebuilt.

Slide finally gets finished around thanksgiving but they tear my linoleum. So order that from factory.

Get a call this weekend after being promised it will be complete, and I’m told the slide was built too short and it isn’t sealing off properly.

Keystone customer relations had been in the loop via email thread since the second time I took it in.

I’m done being understanding and patient. I told the dealer and keystone I want another camper as replacement at this point since mine had been so hacked up and worked on so much it will never be like new again... I’ve also been paying the monthly note while it hasn’t been in my possession.

The dealer is supposed to call me tomorrow with a resolution which I’m not expecting to be a new unit. I’m expecting them to say they are semdning back to factory to repair, since they obviously can not handle this type of repair,

Any thoughts, comments, experiences? Anyone else had major issues with a new camper? Was it resolved? Any chance in getting a new unit?

I’m waiting for the resolution before bad mouthing the dealer and saying who I’m dealing with, i’ll Give them a chance to resolve but if not I’m thinking of contacting WSBTV channel 2 news and spreading the word!
Zinger 280RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

If your state has a lemon law that applies you may be able to get a new unit that way. This law may give you some leverage.
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
If your state has a lemon law that applies you may be able to get a new unit that way.
Thanks for the reply. No lemon law on travel trailers/ campers. Only autos and RV. Must he motorized .
Old 12-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

That really sucks. Sorry your dealing with this. I’m not sure what type of facility Crossroads has, but I’ve heard of Grand Design units going back to factory for a serious issue when needed, and it not only comes back repaired to what it should be, but they inspect and repair anything else that’s not right. Owners have been more than satisfied. They built a large shop for service and repairs. Unfortunately the trailer needs to go back to Indiana. Some owners choose to go back there themselves, and others allow the manufacturer to foot the bill for a tow service. Hopefully Crossroads has something similar. Sounds like they owe it to you, or a new trailer if they can’t accommodate you.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:33 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Can't wait to hear what the resolution is.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Sorry your having these problems. I hope they find a resolution that your happy with. Let us know what happens. Welcome to the forum.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Any updates? I have a idea what you will be told but will wait for your update.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Ouch.....that really sucks.

You've certainly done the right thing so far despite the Coach not being available for you to use for the duration.

My best advice is to remain civil at all times, escalate your grievance to the highest authority you can find at the dealership, and get details of who they answer to if they too drop the ball.

Keep records of all correspondence, and make note of who and when you speak to representatives.

I've been lucky with my TT, but found the dealership, who unfortunately take all the crap for shoddy workmanship, have been 100% behind my claim once identified as such.

It's an unpleasant process but stick with it, the result might surprise you, there are still some very good people out there in this industry.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

To update everyone, the dealer and crossroads has decided for the dealer to repair or shall I say attempt repair.

I had to call the dealer late yesterday and he gave me the news on what was decided. So I emailed crossroads and the dealer afterwards to update the email thread and express that I’m willing to give 1 more shot at getting right but if not I want a new camper, and I will get legal help as well as ATLANTA NEWS channels cunsjmer help involved.

This morning a crossroads manager emailed me explaining she was taking over case. She’ll be handling reimbursements for time out of service etc.. I expressed to here if it isn’t right this time I expect a new camper.

I’m going one more shot. I thing I’ve expressed my feelings in a nice way.

Any GA lawyers on here just in case I need ya?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Just a few thoughts. Will Crossroads authorize another dealer to do the repairs? If not buy a tape measure and take it to them as they must not own one. How do you rebuild a slide out and it comes out too short? Also did you see any of the damage i.e. "All the studs in the exterior wall slide bad"? If the window was the source of the leak how did "all" the studs need replaced? Just don't sound right.

Happy to hear Crossroads is still involved as this is a dealer level problem. The window leaking was it because of a defective window or did it just need to be caulked to stop the leak? The way I see it from that point on the dealer did more damage then they repaired. I have replaced windows in the past and its a matter of remove screws pull out window remove old sealant apply sealant to new window reinstall put in screws and caulk around outside. Its not rocket science its a basic repair.

Hope that Crossroads will let you take it to another dealer but no one else will probably want to touch it. They don't like to fix someone else's mess up. As far as replacing the camper I hope I am wrong but I don't see that happening as yours is repairable but that is just my opinion.

Anyways sorry for the rant but that kind of dealer just gets me. Keep on them and good luck. Also MERRY CHRISTMAS From Mo.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:10 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Just a few thoughts. Will Crossroads authorize another dealer to do the repairs? If not buy a tape measure and take it to them as they must not own one. How do you rebuild a slide out and it comes out too short? Also did you see any of the damage i.e. "All the studs in the exterior wall slide bad"? If the window was the source of the leak how did "all" the studs need replaced? Just don't sound right.

Happy to hear Crossroads is still involved as this is a dealer level problem. The window leaking was it because of a defective window or did it just need to be caulked to stop the leak? The way I see it from that point on the dealer did more damage then they repaired. I have replaced windows in the past and its a matter of remove screws pull out window remove old sealant apply sealant to new window reinstall put in screws and caulk around outside. Its not rocket science its a basic repair.

Hope that Crossroads will let you take it to another dealer but no one else will probably want to touch it. They don't like to fix someone else's mess up. As far as replacing the camper I hope I am wrong but I don't see that happening as yours is repairable but that is just my opinion.

Anyways sorry for the rant but that kind of dealer just gets me. Keep on them and good luck. Also MERRY CHRISTMAS From Mo.

Thank you for your thoughts. If the dealer hadn’t already started the repair again i’d ask to take to another dealer. They have one more chance to get it right. I’m trying to find to visit the dealer next week.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger 280RK View Post
This morning a crossroads manager emailed me explaining she was taking over case. She’ll be handling reimbursements for time out of service etc.. I expressed to here if it isn’t right this time I expect a new camper.

I think this is a good result in itself.

Hang in there, you'll be glad you did I'm sure.

Seasons Greetings, and best regards as always.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #13
New Camper

Just curious...as we live in GA...and are thinking of buying a Zinger RE...would hate to use the dealer you’ve been unfortunately stuck with...
connieandjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by connieandjeff View Post
Just curious...as we live in GA...and are thinking of buying a Zinger RE...would hate to use the dealer you’ve been unfortunately stuck with...
Hello I will PM you so to not slander the dealer publicly. I did visit the dealer yesterday to first hand what is going on with the repairs and what wasn’t done correctly and feel better after talking with them and seeing it in person. But this is their last chance.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

RV Resolutions

Done hesitate to involve Trailer Life/Good Sam, and RV Resolutions to get what you want, or deserve in this. They do seem to get results when all else has failed!
Captbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

All I have to say is"Good Luck" it seems that once a unit is sold the dealer is of little to no help and the manufacturer is less.
They "All manufacturers" build these units so cheaply, yes cheaply, not anything else, that the workmanship and quality is not there.
They use the cheapest components and methods that there are problems from he get go.
Maybe a lawyer would help, you bought this unit in good faith and haven't been able to use it.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

does your state have a lemon law? Check into that. Good luck.
kvmllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #18
New Camper

Well I hope this is all resolved for you in time for your next planned outing.

Back in 2011 we had some issues when we purchased our first Zinger, but finally resolved by switching dealers.

The original purchase was from a dealer that claimed to be the highest volume Zinger dealer for the zone and though they were about a 2.5 hour haul from our home base they prices made it worthwhile.

When we went to pick up the unit they hadn’t completely finished the PDI and made us wait a couple hours while they tried to sell us on extra gear and add ons. We finally got on the road after purchasing a bike rack and insisting on god promised test-tow to show they had the brakes and weight distribution all set up for our fifth wheel hauler. The dealer told us we were all set to start camping and could stop on the way home if we wanted.

After we arrived home we started prepping for our planned first camping the next weekend and found out the main fridge wouldn’t turn on and no water would come out any of the taps. A call to the dealer was useless, they claimed they were too busy to troubleshoot over the phone and the problems were probably a result of our long drive home not defects.

We went ahead with the planned trip as the kids were excited at having a new camper for a change and our camping spot was only a short 30 minute drive away. Just 20 minutes into the drive the rear bumper and bike rack fell off. Needless to say I took an extra day off work and the next business day I had the trailer back at the dealer.

I fought to get them to review the problems with me before I left the unit. After insisting it was all still my fault they reluctantly sent a guy to go over issues with me. Found the fridge issue was with a defective board and the water issue was with winterizing valves behind a fixed panel were closed. Obviously they hadn’t done a proper PDI. Was fixed including a new bumper a couple weeks later and I spent another day retrieving all without compensation for my time or gas.

Next trip out one of the interior door knobs sheared off and fell to pieces. I didn’t want to make another long return trip for just that, so we managed a temporary repair to get through another trip. On that trip noticed a small leak in the bunk room and some other stuff.

Ended up finding a dealer about 45 minutes away who was willing to do warranty repairs. They did excellent repairs and we didn’t have to have anything re-done. So, while initial quality wasn’t great, I would suggest most of your issue is dealer related.
ArrVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:18 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the replies. Looks like crossroads doesn’t have the last couple pieces needed in stock and.l it will be mid January before the parts arice to my dealer. The slide out is currently half taken apart so it is not possible to take to another dealer if i wanted.

Hopefully I will get the camper back in mid February. That will put crossroads owning me 8 payments.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:05 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

ArrVee...I know which dealer you bought from north of Toronto. I bought there also and lots of little problems too, no proper pdi. Salesman brushed me off and sent me to service that was very rude.... Never went back as they were 5 hrs away ...i fell for the Low cost... Theyeven delivered it tome and was supposed to do a phone pdi but never happened. Luckily I can fix most things.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote