Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
New Camper

Outside kitchen stove?

I just ordered my first Zinger. It's a 2014 Zinger 31BH fifth wheel. I've never had an outside kitchen in any of my fifth wheels so I'm pretty excited to try this one out. I'm a little disappointed that Zinger doesn't offer a stove in their outside kitchens. Has anyone come up with a fix for this?
adlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

How about a folding gas stove from CW like this:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...er-stove/69325

You could plumb a propane stub off your existing RV propane piping to somewhere near your outdoor kitchen with a shutoff valve. Use a regulator and supply hose with quick connects so you can run the stove off your RV propane without having to have an external supply.

My old Blue Ridge fiver had an outdoor kitchen with a fold down stove. It hung from the wall of the outdoor kitchen and folded down so that it was perpendicular to the RV and hanging outside the RV when in use. I don't know if something like that would work with the Zinger kitchen layout or not, or even where to find one, but it was pretty handy.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new Zinger!
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks Mike, my plan so far is exactly what you have suggested. I just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has tried anything different. Safe camping!
adlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you have the counter space, you could cut in one of these.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ps-black/70068

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Congrats on the 31BH. You will love the outside kitchen. We bought a 2013 300BH last year this time and were trying to figure out what to do for a stove.

I did a lot of research and went high tech. We bought a Max Burton 6000 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop. Paid 80 bucks on Amazon.

Don't waste your money on a cheaper, lower wattage unit. This is the best of its kind. The commercial grade stuff runs in the couple hundreds and not necessary for how often its used.

We couldnt be happier. We had to shop a couple compatible frying pans, but this thing is great. It does'nt get hot on the bottom, so we cook on the slide out shelf. We use it inside the trailer and don't have to worry about open flames.

Here's the link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And, please, no one ask me how this works, I'm still wrapping my head around the technology. I like to freak the people out and start to boil water, than pick up the pan and lay my head on the burner. It only gets warm after the pan has been heated up for awhile.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

My Crossroad 26RB has a rear bumper mount that supports our grill and swings around next to the outside kitchen area. Works great. Folds flat against the back of the TT for travel. 26rb has a propane outlet just under the kitchen area. Stove and mount came with the TT. Might be an option you can get from Crossroads.

Bill
Beebee381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

adlib,
I tried what Mike suggested..
However, your propane tanks have a regulator and the stove he reccommends has a regulator.
this will not work, as the 2 regulators will cut the supply down too much.
I wiil try the 2 burner cook top, as suggested and build a frame for it.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I use an electric skillet Rival 20" skillet $18.00 at Walmart. But I'm seriously contemplating an induction burner.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Congrats on the 31BH. You will love the outside kitchen. We bought a 2013 300BH last year this time and were trying to figure out what to do for a stove.

I did a lot of research and went high tech. We bought a Max Burton 6000 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop. Paid 80 bucks on Amazon.

Don't waste your money on a cheaper, lower wattage unit. This is the best of its kind. The commercial grade stuff runs in the couple hundreds and not necessary for how often its used.

We couldnt be happier. We had to shop a couple compatible frying pans, but this thing is great. It does'nt get hot on the bottom, so we cook on the slide out shelf. We use it inside the trailer and don't have to worry about open flames.

Here's the link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And, please, no one ask me how this works, I'm still wrapping my head around the technology. I like to freak the people out and start to boil water, than pick up the pan and lay my head on the burner. It only gets warm after the pan has been heated up for awhile.

1800 watts is a lot of juice being drawn on those little wires that they normally run in those trailers.
Have you noticed any problems running it on full power?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Great point.

No issues yet. No more draw than large toaster oven we had prior and no issues. Anyone know what the ratings on the wiring for the 110 lines running in the current ST models?

If its the same wiring for the AC, they run about 1500 watts.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Great point.

No issues yet. No more draw than large toaster oven we had prior and no issues. Anyone know what the ratings on the wiring for the 110 lines running in the current ST models?

If its the same wiring for the AC, they run about 1500 watts.
1800W is 15 amps. My SF270BH only has 15 amp circuit breakers, no 20 amp circuits except for the A/C. Turning on anything else on that circuit when the burner is on high would probably trip the circuit breaker.

My biggest concern with RVs is that you never know what the manufacturer puts into them. I hope they wire the circuits with wire that is of sufficient gauge to take the current. I'm sure the industry has some standards they should follow, but the RVIA is only an association. When a house is built, the builder must follow the building code, which states what gauge of wire and circuit breaker must be used in electrical circuits. Before the house can receive a certificate of occupancy it must be inspected by a qualified inspector for each type of system (electrical, plumbing, etc.). It's too bad the RV industry isn't policed in the same manner.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

why not just get a 2 burner stove and hook up a 10 ft hose with quick connect and make a tee to run bbq and stove..like I did. stove is behind wind block on table with 10 ft hose to tee.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

We have seen a lot of campers using various versions of the Coleman Roadtrip portable grill. http://www.coleman.com/product/roadt...0#.UyZozvldWSo

What we really liked was the ability to cook your meat on the grill and your eggs or pancakes on the griddle. We have seen some real deals on these that included the griddle, etc.

And if you want to go charcoal, we are using a Weber Smokey Joe that is over 40 years old. We use a chimney starter that saves time and briquettes.

As for anything electrical, a lot of good points have been made by others above. When we were at the factory rally, we had a discussion with Lady E from MyRVKitchen about the electricity we use in our RVs. It was very enlightening to say the least. If I knew how to attach a copy of the document that she approved I would. If anyone can provide directions, please. Otherwise, PM me and I will send it to you.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:22 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
1800W is 15 amps. My SF270BH only has 15 amp circuit breakers, no 20 amp circuits except for the A/C. Turning on anything else on that circuit when the burner is on high would probably trip the circuit breaker.

My biggest concern with RVs is that you never know what the manufacturer puts into them. I hope they wire the circuits with wire that is of sufficient gauge to take the current. I'm sure the industry has some standards they should follow, but the RVIA is only an association. When a house is built, the builder must follow the building code, which states what gauge of wire and circuit breaker must be used in electrical circuits. Before the house can receive a certificate of occupancy it must be inspected by a qualified inspector for each type of system (electrical, plumbing, etc.). It's too bad the RV industry isn't policed in the same manner.
Everything your saying is correct. My underlying assumption is I will trip a breaker before baking the wiring in the walls. I have an upgrade on my TT for second AC with a 50 amp connection, not 30 which is standard for the ST ultralight trailers.

I've tripped breakers all the time with my Jayco, but with this trailer I can run AC and Microwave at the same time. Yes, when I'm cooking in the rear outside kitchen, I unplug the outside fridge and plug in the induction cooker to be safe. Nothing else running on that circuit.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Now that I'm thinking about it,

On the Sunset Trail Reserves, they come with an electric fireplace. The fireplaces I've seen run at 1500 watts. If the fireplace is on the same circuit as lets say, the TV, radio and any else plugged into the entertainment center, That has got to be running near or over that wattage by design from the factory.

Just trying to make myself feel better about running the induction stove on the circuit...

Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Now that I'm thinking about it,

On the Sunset Trail Reserves, they come with an electric fireplace. The fireplaces I've seen run at 1500 watts. If the fireplace is on the same circuit as lets say, the TV, radio and any else plugged into the entertainment center, That has got to be running near or over that wattage by design from the factory.

Just trying to make myself feel better about running the induction stove on the circuit...
On the reserves the fireplace is on the same circuit as the hot water heater and there is a toggle switch on the control panel that allows you to run the fireplace or the water heater on AC, but not both at the same time.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
On the reserves the fireplace is on the same circuit as the hot water heater and there is a toggle switch on the control panel that allows you to run the fireplace or the water heater on AC, but not both at the same time.
This is how mine is set up.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #18
Ken
Weekend Camper

I have the same Zinger but in a trailer and what I do is I have a portable propane stove that I store under the sink in the outdoor kitchen with extra bottles. It works real good in the flat area next to the sink under the overhead cabinet. There is plenty of room to cook plus you are under the light in outdoor kitchen. Below is the one that I use
http://www.imarineusa.com/colemanper...rnerstove.aspx

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I have the same Zinger but in a trailer and what I do is I have a portable propane stove that I store under the sink in the outdoor kitchen with extra bottles. It works real good in the flat area next to the sink under the overhead cabinet. There is plenty of room to cook plus you are under the light in outdoor kitchen. Below is the one that I use
http://www.imarineusa.com/colemanper...rnerstove.aspx
I thought about this as well. Could this not be made to work with the quick disconnect that the grill uses?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
Ken
Weekend Camper

I am sure there is a model out there that can, but I wanted to be able to use my Weber Grill that I have hooked up to the quick connect and make my side dishes on the stove all at the same time. I have done this on several occasions where I am making stuff on the grill and have 2 things cooking on the stove. The outdoor kitchen has made cooking so much more fun when camping and so much easier. I do have a 20lbs tank that I do bring that I can hook up to the stove but I just found it easier to use the small bottles and keep them stored under the sink with the stove. On the Zinger full size outdoor kitchens there is tons of room under the sink and plenty of counter space to cook on.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote