Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2015, 04:15 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Roof Material, Roof Maintenance

I own a 2008 Rear living Zinger. With the camper being 7 years old I am having some roof concerns. What kind of material is my roof? Other that the annual clean and treat (UV) what kind of maintenance should I be doing?
Old 11-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

It is probably an EPDM rubber roof. I clean mine with Spic-n-span once a year and treat it like you mentioned (not sure if treating it really helps tho). Other than checking for defects in all the lap sealant, there is not much other maintenance you need to do. When it starts to chalk, you need to start thinking about having it replaced...usually 10-12 years.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Site Team

Like Stan said, keeping it clean, and checking all the seams to make sure the caulking is OK about covers it.
They do not recommend treating the roof with any type of conditioner.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Chalking is a normal process for these roofs and does not mean the roof needs to be replaced. Even when the black shows through, it still does not mean the roof needs to be replaced. When the time comes, there is a process to recoat it, have a bedliner type sealant sprayed on it or have the roof replaced.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

When I spoke with the manufacturer about my roof I was told not to even think about redoing the white coating until the roof is almost entirely black. She also told me that some people never recoat it but just use rubber conditioner on it to keep it from drying out. The original white coating is extremely thin. I have an Alpha Systems EPDM roof.
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote