Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

The good and the bad.

Now that we've camped in the Zinger I can make a few observations on this TT that may be of importance for others considering buying one like it. Although there is storage space, much of it is hard to reach. If you want to use the cabinet space over the Queen size bed you better be young and agile. You have to climb on the bed on your knees and scrabble to reach these cabinets. Not easy for seniors. The storage space over the sofa is also hard to reach when the sofa is left open as a bed. And who is going to break it down and set it up every day? If you're less than 5'7" these cabinets wont be easy to reach, especially the top shelf.
There is also storage space under the seat benches... but again, they're hard to use since CRs didn't put the draws on rollers. It's wood on wood - think friction. You have to pull them out with a few fingers of one hand using a small knob. They don't slide easy and discourage use. Anyone with a little arthritis as I have will find these large draws almost useless. They should be on rollers and have a good handle to pull them out with.

As for the sofa bed. It's very uncomfortable even with a foam pad as it goes down in the middle where the bottom and top cushions meet. There's a groove. The outer edge sags making you feel as if you're going to roll off onto the floor. It's only about 5' so only fit for children. Being open it leaves little space between the bed and table.

Lacking draw space I bought two of those plastic units with draws at Wal*Mart. They'll help with small things and clothing.

The air conditioner, like both our previous campers, is so loud we have to turn it off to hear the TV or have a normal conversation. There's no sleeping with it running. I was hoping the newer TTs had solved the problem of noisy A/Cs. It's quiet from outside, but not on the inside.

There is only about 5" of countertop space so only one sink can be used at a time. I wish there was a larger counter and only one sink. I use the stovetop for the dish drying rack and the covered sink for preparing food which means I have to set the coffeepot temporarly somewere else like on the floor or DR table. The coffeepot also blocks the hot water knob when on the covered sink. There is nowhere for a coffeepot in the kitchen. Fortunately I do most of my cooking under the awning outside.

The TV bracket is too high on the wall. The height can't be adjusted. We have to look UP to see it. After 15 to 30 minutes our necks are aching. It's not a natural postion to hold for long. He's going to put a shelf lower so we can watch it longer in bad weather.

Having had a TT with large and many jalousie windows I came to love them as the entire window opens and lets the air blow through, yet keeps the rain out. These new TT windows only have one small area at the bottom that cranks open, so unless there's a stiff breeze, not much air goes through. They also have less windows. I don't know why TT mfgs started using this type of window.

I'll add curtains that are easy to open and close so the blinds can be left in one position, half way up. Even holding the beads together when running them up and down, they cock. The window box things will be removed.

The good things are I like the large table and bench seats. We did have to use 2 braces to keep the table from wobbling around. I love the large fridge and the bathroom can't be beat. You can actually take a normal, if quick, shower in it. The tanks are large and don't need constant dumping. I use the outdoor electric outlets. I like that I can avoid being kept awake at night by DHs snoring. And I can read in bed and not keep him awake.

We needed a floorplan with a bed at each end. That was the main selling point and why we bought the Zinger. I do believe CR should address some of the storage issues (rollers needed, cabinets easier to reach, TV lower) and the uncomfortable sofa bed though.

The sofa-bed will be removed and DH will build a narrower bed for me and I'll buy a foam mattress for it.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Some changes made by CR in the 2010 19RD and some solutions.

We no longer have drawers under the dinette seats. Access is by removing the cushions and the lid. Same with the sofa-bed.

I was surprised when we first looked at the Zinger that there were no drawers for kitchen stuff. Still thinking about that one.

I was greatly surprised by how loud the A/C was. In our previous TT, you could carry on a normal conversation when it was on low speed. In this one there is virtually no difference between low and medium.

Apparently the sink covers are now optional.I may try to modify the one from the old trailer.

Counter space is always lacking in a small trailer. Camping World, among others, has a flip up counter extension. We had one on our old one. Makes a difference.

They did away with the TV bracket and put a small shelf up in the corner, 16" from the ceiling.
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-rick
Some changes made by CR in the 2010 19RD and some solutions.

We no longer have drawers under the dinette seats. Access is by removing the cushions and the lid. Same with the sofa-bed.
We got rid of the sofa-bed and built in a real bed-frame and bought those heave foam matresses. Much better. We can now use the area under the bed, next to the furnace for storage.

Quote:
I was surprised when we first looked at the Zinger that there were no drawers for kitchen stuff. Still thinking about that one.
Our Zinger came with 3 draws for kitchen utensils and 2 small storage areas for pots and pans.

Quote:
I was greatly surprised by how loud the A/C was. In our previous TT, you could carry on a normal conversation when it was on low speed. In this one there is virtually no difference between low and medium.
We don't even try to carry on a conversation when the A/C is on. I can't seep when it's on either. We're forced to shut it off at bedtime.

Quote:
Apparently the sink covers are now optional.I may try to modify the one from the old trailer.
We did get the 2 sink covers with ours. I only use one side. The little coffee pot is on the other side. We desperately need counter space but there is nowhere to add it. Fortunately our cooking is done outside on the grill or on the 2 burner GE hot-plate. I leave the cover on the stove and have the drain-board on that.

Quote:
Counter space is always lacking in a small trailer. Camping World, among others, has a flip up counter extension. We had one on our old one. Makes a difference.

They did away with the TV bracket and put a small shelf up in the corner, 16" from the ceiling.
My husband lowered the bracket. It works fine now but we watch very little TV. Mainly the NEWS around dinner time. We're big readers.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote