Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2022, 01:09 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Tips on how to redo the back of the camper?

Our 2011 Zinger 19-RDS had some issues with bubbling and separation on the front of it when we got it several years ago. Turned out one of the seals around a market light was leaking. I was able to peel the front off, and replace it with some powder coated aluminum sheeting and aluminum diamond plate…it actually turned out pretty good.

Well, now I’ve noticed that there are a few spots on the rear that are doing the same thing…one spot under the window that’s hard to see in the picture, and one spot at the bottom by the ladder.

Has anyone had the back off in order to do a repair? It is built pretty much like the front? I’m hoping I can just remove all the trim pieces, pull off the outer layer, replace with some white aluminum, cut a new hole for the window and lights, and put it all back together. Or is it going to be more difficult than the front?

Any tips of tricks would be a huge help! Thanks!

IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:23 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I replaced my back with Filon that I purchased from REC Pro and a high-quality contact glue. The original Fillon was adhered to a cardboard like hardboard material, that was bubbling. I replaced it with 1/8" birchwood sheet from Lowes. It entailed removing the window, trim and all the lights. I glued it with Stabond adhesive that was about $320 a gallon. It was recommended to me over other adhesives. Yours should be fairly easy, I had a rounded top transition to the roof that had to be formed.
My 5th wheel is a 2013 that apparently had a leak in the trim at the rounded transition to the upper roof. I replaced the roof and rear panel wall at the same time. Looks like you did a nice job on the front panel.
RVCRUISER34 is offline   Reply With Quote