Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

This past week I noticed that on the inside of the TT there was water on the wall to the left of the window/drapes from the top of the ceiling to the floor (no puddles). I also didn't see it running.

No rain but it did get cold - upper 40's. No A/C running. I did look at both places where the canopy poles are connected to camper and saw that both were sealed (I believe).

Never noticed this before (got camper in May '13; it is a 32QB TT Zinger and a 2014).

Any advice other than to keep a close eye on it! Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Sounds like condensation. The trailer maybe poorly insulated in that area. I would keep a close eye on it though.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

With it being new and under warranty, I believe I would take it in for a good look over and get it documented just in case.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Site Team

You might want to check the caulking around the window. Plus do a good check around the awning rail.
Water will find the smallest crack you could ever imagine.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Ok. I am pretty sure I figured it out!!!!!I have 2 vertical areas that get damp. Each vertical area is inside (one in master br and one in bathroom). Both areas are directly behind the outside posts for the awning. So I have the fiberglas exterior.

So here is my theory. There are aluminum studs in the walls at these places for extra support for the awning. They don't insulate at this spot (or they forgot to). When I turn my furnance on, it isn't bad. When I don't have my furnance on it is noticable due to condensation. It is definitely not a leak. I even dried up both sections with a towel and checked a half hour later and condensation formed again.

Any recommendations before I contact Cross Roads? Mable I call them and ask how they insulate? I even upgraded to the better insulation.

Is this normal or do you think they forgot something? Considering CR mislabeled fresh water and city water connections, I won't be surprised if they forgot to insulate at these 2 spots!!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Condensation is a fact of life with RVs, especially with aluminum studs and single pane aluminum framed windows. Moisture inside the RV is also a fact of life, small spaces with lots of moisture from bodies, cooking and bathing. If outside air is low in humidity, then just ventilating the RV will remove moisture. If not, then a dehumidifier is probably needed to address the problem. Also, using a fan to circulate air can help keep all areas of the RV at the same temp to prevent local cold spots. And running the furnace helps because it both raises temp and removes moisture from the air. But again, in severe cases everything listed above may be necessary.

The two spots you observe are very logical. Bathroom will have the highest moisture level and the bedroom will be coldest at night plus high moisture level from your breath. There is nothing abnormal about your RV.Edited by: Dayle1

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #7
Site Team

There is one possible cure, If you can locate the aluminum stud and drill a 1/4 hole to inject minimal expanding foam into the stud. Covering the hole would be a small problem but there are a lot of caps on the internet that would work..

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I may be wrong, but I believe Zingers are wood studs, not aluminum.
Maybe a pressure test would help locate the source if it is a leak.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w
There is one possible cure, If you can locate the aluminum stud and drill a 1/4 hole to inject minimal expanding foam into the stud. Covering the hole would be a small problem but there are a lot of caps on the internet that would work..

IMHO this will not work, the foam will not expand the full length of the stud, especially if a second hole is not available to relieve air pressure inside the stud. But EZ way to find out, go to HD or Lowes and buy a 6ft length of aluminum 'C' channel, clamp it to a 2x4 and inject foam at the top with the bottom fully open, then remove the clamps and see how far the foam travels the 6ft length. But there is another concern with this idea, the air inside the stud is a dead air space and most of the conduction is thru the connecting sidewalls of the stud, not thru the air space. Adding insulation over the face of the stud is the only way to provide significant improvement if that makes sense, but it is not very practical.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Hippy is right - wood framed...whether aluminum or 'glass.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

So why do I have problems with only 2 areas? In other words if there is wood framing all round, I only get condensation on the 2 vertical studs that holds the awning. I haven't tested it but wonder if it is due to the awning being closed and thus having the awning uprights right there with more water on them. I just don't get it!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmataz
So why do I have problems with only 2 areas? In other words if there is wood framing all round, I only get condensation on the 2 vertical studs that holds the awning. I haven't tested it but wonder if it is due to the awning being closed and thus having the awning uprights right there with more water on them. I just don't get it!

Is the condensation fairly uniform top to bottom? Or noticeably worse near the bottom of the wall? I don't really have a clue, I would expect the windows to be worse than any wall area since they have fully exposed aluminum frames clamped together with many steel screws. Maybe your Zinger was built with aluminum studs for some reason. Look inside the latch plate at the main door frame, do you see wood or aluminum?

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1
Quote:
Is the condensation fairly uniform top to bottom? Â*Or noticeably worse near the bottom of the wall? Â*I don't really have a clue, I would expect the windows to be worse than any wall area since they have fully exposed aluminum frames clamped together with many steel screws. Â*Maybe your Zinger was built with aluminum studs for some reason. Â*Look inside the latch plate at the main door frame, do you see wood or aluminum?
It is pretty consistent. I will have to check the door next time I am there.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Just talked to CrossRoads (Chris from Customer Service). They said I have Aluminum all around the wall studs (not wood). Can't put insulation where the aluminum wall studs are. With the 2 vertical areas, they confirmed it is condensation. Those 2 areas have double aluminum (1) wall stud 2) vertical arms for canopy).

There suggestion is to open bathroom vent and turn on fan and crack open a window. In return the furnance will take the condensation out of the camper. Then to close both (or up to me) when things dry out or when going to bed.
I also asked what the difference would be between Oct. and Jan. They are sending me an article regarding winter camping.

They also mentioned I should look in my owners manual re: Condensation.

Chris was very knowledgable and friendly! Go CrossRoads! Im' a HAPPY camper.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:42 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:

Just talked to CrossRoads (Chris from Customer Service). They said I have Aluminum all around the wall studs (not wood). Can't put insulation where the aluminum wall studs are. With the 2 vertical areas, they confirmed it is condensation. Those 2 areas have double aluminum (1) wall stud 2) vertical arms for canopy).

There suggestion is to open bathroom vent and turn on fan and crack open a window. In return the furnance will take the condensation out of the camper. Then to close both (or up to me) when things dry out or when going to bed.
I also asked what the difference would be between Oct. and Jan. They are sending me an article regarding winter camping.

They also mentioned I should look in my owners manual re: Condensation.

Chris was very knowledgable and friendly! Go CrossRoads! Im' a HAPPY camper.

Air circulation and dehumidifier.

11 Cruiser CF32MK