Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
New Camper

Hello

I am glad I found this forum. I am very close to buying a new travel trailer. I found the Zingers and they are at the top of my list.

I am trying to decide on the mentioned models. I prefer the 25RK, but I drive a Nissan Frontier with a tow rating of 6300lbs and tounge weight of 610lbs. The 19RD would be easier to tow, while the 25RK would have more room.

I live in eatern MA and I camp usually 30-90 miles from home, and it is mainly flat here. I may take 4 trips a season.

Would the 25RK be too much trailer to tow? Does anyone here usea tow vehicle with a similar towrating?

Thanks!

New Bedford, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

This year we bought a new Z25RK at the camping show in February. We tow with a 2005 Toyota V8 4Runner. The tow rating is 7000 pounds. The Zinger comes in at about 4500 poundswhen we picked it up, I would guess all loaded to go we hit about 6000 pounds, although we have not had a chance to hit any commercial scales as of yet. I would not want to max anything out in any case, I like having a little buffer.

We also have a Proigy brake controller, and of course weight distribution. We use the Blue Ox SwayPro system, which was recommended by our dealer...Campers Inn in Merrimac NH. We live in Western Mass...near Springfield.

Our first trip was ablout 450 miles, up to Northern New Hampshire, close to Mt Washington. We went up Rt. 91 thru Vermont..and as you probably know, the roads are certainly not flat!However, once properly set up and adjusted, we are very happy with the Toyota-Zinger combination. We have also camped on Cape Cod this summer, as well as a few trips of about 100 miles round trip.

There are those that say the the 4Runner has too small a wheelbase to tow anything this "long", and there are charts that you will be able to find that will tell what the limit for your Frontier will be....however there are other factors. I found that if I keep my speed to 65 MPH max, I have virtually no sway, even when being passed by tractor-trailers, or in windy conditions. Once I exceed that, I do feel things getting a little "squirelly", so I take that into account. My mileage drops to about 8 mpg when towing this trailer, but the rest of the time we get 17-20 mpg. I hear that people with gas powered full size pickups don't do any better.

The Toyota works pretty well, especially on flat roads. On hills it kicks down one or two gears (it is a 5 speed automatic) but I do not have any problem keeping at least 55 mph, even on steep grades. I know some of this is because we have the V8 model, you didn't mention if you have a 6 or 8 cylinder.

I also know that the same year Toyota Tundra and Sequoia have the same engine that we have, but the the tow rating is dropped to about 6500 pounds because the vehicle is heavier.

In the end, I was also concerned about the 4Runner and 25RK combination, and decided that I could get a bigger vehicle if I needed to, but in the end I am happy with what I have.

Just make sure that you have a good brake controller, and the proper hitch, and use common sense....I like the room of the 25RK!

and Charlie the Wonder Dog

Western Mass

2009 Zinger 25RK

2005 Toyota 4Runner V8
de4nier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Hello

We pull a 19 foot Sunset Trail with a 2007 Nissan Xterra with the 4.0 V6 engine, like what is in the Frontier. It pulls fine on the mostly flat to slightly rolling hills, but after taking it across I81 in Pennsylvania and climbing the mountains in the Poconos on the way to the Hudson Valley my next vehiclewill be the Titan. It would down shift in to second on the hills and drop down to about 50mph, still could pass the really slow trucks but the trip did take longer. With taking it to Virginia Beach this summer it did fine down through Virginia on the rolling small hills. Something that I found is that with trying to pass a slower car, I needed to wait untill I had some down hill to get a better speed, starting up a small grade and the Xterra started to slow. Also the Xterra is a somewhat bumpy ride by it self and with the camper you really feel all of the bumps. When we bought the Xterra we had not plans to buy a camper and after the Xterra is paid off then we are planning to buy the Titan for towing.

xterra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
New Camper

Thanks for your replies! I appreciate the feedback. I know if I get the camper I can upgrade the truck if I am unhappy with it much easier than upgrading the camper.

de4nier - my Frontier has a 6 cyl. I think on the flat highways here it will tow it while being under the limits, but I wouldnt head for western MA anytime soon, or without upgrading the truck.

xterra1 - I think the Titan will be my next truck. I am very happy with the Frontier and it seems like the Titan is a bit big for everyday use, but I think it will make the towing experience alot better!

New Bedford, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote