Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

My 2011 Zinger ZT25SB was purchased November 2011 and brought home for the winter. Last year was the first year we used it. I was never happy with the braking power and had an experienced driver drive the truck with camper. He said it felt good. This year, our first trip out, I was going downhill and activated ONLY the trailer brakes manually. This slowed the truck down but would never bring it to a stop. It just didn't feel right. Yes, I had the controller set for max. So, when I got home, I pulled into a grassy area, put the truck in 4WD, manually activated the controller for braking and pulled ahead while the wife watched. Both wheels on the driver side dragged but did not turn. Both wheels on the passenger side turned as I pulled ahead. Checked wiring underneath and all seems intact.

Any suggestions?? Is this a warranty item (less than two years?)?
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you ever adjusted the brakes since you have owned the trailer? If not, and it was me, I would either have it done, or jack it up and pull the drums to see if the shoes are contaminated with grease. If they are OK then I would adjust the shoes out to where they are suppose to be and try it again. If that doesn't take care of it then the next step would be to test the magnets.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the suggestions. No, I have never adjusted the brakes or had them done. I was told by someone that I could pull the emergency brake cable to activate the brakes without connecting the power cable from the truck. That way, I can see what is happening in those two wheels. In your experience, would that work?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Site Team

I guess that would tell you if the emergency cable is doing what it's suppose to, but to know for sure what's going on "with" the brakes, I would do it the way I suggested.
Maybe somebody else has a better way.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Old farmer seams right to me.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

the trailer is not designed to bring the truck to a stop. That said, the trailer brakes hold activate equally all the way around. I would have them checked. also if you use the easy lubes it is possible to pump too much grease into them causing a seal to rupture and grease to get on your brakes.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I'll second Old Farmer's motion on checking / adjusting your brakes. Lippert's warranty just replaced two brake drums on my 2013 ST25RB (<1000 miles). Similar to your situation I wasn't happy with the braking performance. The trailer brakes pulsated terribly below 45 mph. Took it to the shop and when they pulled the brake drums the two rear drums were ovaled. You could see where the shoes weren't even making contact with the drum on the long sides. Additionally, the good drums were out of adjustment. Lippert sent replacement drums.After everything was done I was able to back off my brake controller from 3.0 to 2.0 and they can still be a little sticky around town. Funny how that works when all four are pulling their weight.
2006 Ford F-250 6.0L

logicsrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

For those who may not have read it in the manuals...they suggest when you first get your camper that you take in on a side road and drive up to 40 mph and then set the brakes on the trailer manually until you slow down to 25....then drive another mile or two and repeat the process over again. Do this for a dozen or so times...to "break in" the brakes. I did this on my last unit and it was the first thing I did with my new unit upon bringing it home last week. And the brakes on your trailer will stop your truck...but I don't recommend it. JMHO

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

As a follow-up to my post. I jacked up the passenger side of the camper; activated the brakes by pulling the plastic plug for emergency braking; turned each wheel about an eight of a turn and the brakes snubbed up the wheel and it would not turn any more. Same with both wheels. So, the brakes are working. The fact that the passenger side didn't slide in the mud might be that there was less solid material on the driver side. From what I've seen, so far, everything points to the controller not applying enough voltage to the brakes. Next test, instead of activating the controller in soft earth would be to pull the emergency braking plug and see if all four wheels now drag. I'm just not happy with the braking power. I've always worried about brakes with my first camper, my three motorhomes and now this Zinger. The operating manual for the controller says : Go 15 MPH down the road, let up on the gas; activate the controller manually and the wheels on the camper should lock up and drag. NO WAY has that ever happened. Am I expecting too much? It seems to stop fine but, I worry!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Hello Horseman,

My brakes on my31 SB are terrible I have my camper in the shop for a 2nd time trying to get them to fix it right. The shop tells me its my truck "NOT" I have hadother campers hooked to my truck and they stop fine at 3.5 gain. I have to turn my gain all the way to 10 to even feel any sort of braking sensation on my Zinger. I recently came across some folks that have a Zinger similar to mineand they told me their camper is in the shop for the same problem. You're right you should be able to lock your brakes up at 15 mph I can't even get mine to lock up at 5 mph stopping in gravel. Get your camper to the shop before the warranty runs out. GOODLUCK!!!

F-150 ECOBOOST 31SB ZINGER

https://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/...ps08c83b98.jpg

luvtocamp7 is offline   Reply With Quote