Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Am getting ready to head "north" for a couple weeks. The past couple days I have noticed much more odor in bathroom in Zinger 19rd than I ever experienced with my Zinger zt18rd (it has been hot and muggy). I did use a different chemical in the black water tank....going to go back to original. Looking at the roof, I'm pretty sure there's only one vent...and that one is somewhere around the shower area. Anyone else had problems with odors? Do you know how many plumbing vents there should be? Thanks for any information you can share.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Each Floorplan is plumbed differently. There is at least one vent per holding tank and each sink, tub shower has a vent. I have had odor issues with different chemicals so we stay with one that works for us. Make sure you flush the tanks real well when dumping. Sometimes having the overhead bath fan on when using the toilet will actually draw odors into the bathroom. Leaving a window open just a bit will help.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Stan. I'm hoping that it's simply a chemical issue. I'm guessing that although there appears to be only one vent pipe coming through the roof, they could all be plumbed into that common vent down under the trailer? Everything seems to work well, drains well. The toilet holds water well. We'll try the different chemical.
thanks,
Tim

Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Like Stan said flush your tanks really well. Try the "geo-method" it really does work! Do it before you are ready to head out, that way it has some time to slosh around in the tank and just leave it until you are ready to dump, then flush and rinse really well. After doing this a few times you should eliminate that dreadful tank odor.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjoebro
Thanks Stan. I'm hoping that it's simply a chemical issue. I'm guessing that although there appears to be only one vent pipe coming through the roof, they could all be plumbed into that common vent down under the trailer? Everything seems to work well, drains well. The toilet holds water well. We'll try the different chemical.
thanks,
Tim
The second vent pipecould be behind the fridge, venting outunder the fridge vent on the roof. One of my gray tank vents is like that. Pull off the outside fridge access panel to see if there is a pipe running up one side.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

A good flushing of the tank and a product with formaldehyde works best for us. 1/4 the recommended dose works.

2008 ZT19RD

~~~~~~~~~~
RanCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have the same camper and had the same problem after 3 uses. I bought a "Camco 39062 RV Dual Flush Pro Holding Tank Rinser with Gate Valve" (which is essentially a half price knock off of the Flush King) and flushed the tank out a few times... you'll know when it's clean. Thankfully it seemed to have fixed the problem so far and it so much easier than dragging a hose inside the camper to flush with.

TxZinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

It may also be your toilet that is allowing tank fumes into your interior. If you have the Aqua Magic V Hand Flush, that is the low end toilet and I replaced mine with a china bowl model. The Aqua V has a hollow interior below the flapper valve and will fill with swamp gas, flies or anything else that happen down the vent pipe and crawls. If the seal at the handleis compromised you will smell it. The china bowl has a direct connection to the tank pipes, a round flush valveand will not allow gas to escape.

https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

As a followup; this last trip our black tank drain clogged completely and wouldn't drain a drop. Using the Flush Pro kit I posted about earlier I was able to clear it pretty easily! It's helped me get rid of the odor as well as a clog. Totally worth the $25!
TxZinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

After spending a couple weeks away I'm happy to report that my "problem" with black tank odor has (apparently) gone away. I've always used the blue chemical but had a freebie packet of a dry product. It was with the dry product that I experienced the bad odor. Once I dumped that tank and started using "old blue" the problem is gone. Thanks much for all of your ideas. This is a great place to figure things out!