Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

#2 Picking up my CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST270BH tomorrow!

I posted this in the introductions section, but I also wanted to post it here because this section of the site provided me with TONS of good information over the last year:

My wife and I have two boys under 2.5 years old and two German Shorthaired Pointers, so we spent a lot of time researching and thinking before we purchased our camper because it's going to have to last a while.

We finally pulled the trigger last month and we're picking up our 2016 CrossRoads Sunset Trail ST270BH tomorrow! I read a lot of posts here during the research phase of the search, so I figured this was a pretty good time to finally sign-up!

I'm looking forward to going over everything with the dealer tomorrow and then hopefully bringing the camper home.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Welcome. I hope you enjoy your new camper as much as we have ours. Bought it late last year so only got to use it once. Prepping to use it again (finally) at the end of this month.

Take your time at the dealer and leave satisfied. If anything needs fixing get it in writing.
Good luck.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
Welcome. I hope you enjoy your new camper as much as we have ours. Bought it late last year so only got to use it once. Prepping to use it again (finally) at the end of this month.

Take your time at the dealer and leave satisfied. If anything needs fixing get it in writing.
Good luck.
Thanks! We're heading up there to arrive around noon, giving us LOTS of time to go over everything.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

So how'd it go?
2015 ST270BH
Old 04-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
So how'd it go?
Patience....give him time to get home...lol

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Welcome
ridgerunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
So how'd it go?
A little disappointingly, I'm afraid to say, although we're okay with how things worked out and excited to get started camping in our ST270BH!

Everyone at our local dealer was great, but during the PDI we realized that CrossRoads missed a couple of things on the order. For example, the power jacks are an easy enough aftermarket upgrade, but the 2nd AC definitely is not. So basically we ended up with the basic model with none of the upgrades we had wanted. (Our dealer showed us the order he sent in and confirmed that he had asked for everything we had asked for.)

The dealer was great, very apologetic for not noticing sooner, and offered to either place the order again (and stay on them to make sure it was right this time) or, if we wanted this unit, he would do the upgrades he had on hand (like the power jacks) and drop the price back down to the starting price we originally agreed to for the basic unit before we selected the upgrades we wanted (and that price seemed very fair based on quotes I got from three other dealers within driving distance).

We decided to take this unit at the lower price. The upgrades would have been nice, but my budget also doesn't mind me spending less and ultimately we were very happy with the unit BEFORE we decided the 2nd AC, etc, would be nice. Plus we have camping plans in May and June, and we're sure we wouldn't have the new unit in time for most of them.

It was a bit of an adventure, but most of our trips are!
Old 04-20-2016, 07:13 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Congrats.

When you say power jacks, do you mean the (4) scissor jacks or just the front jack? A power front jack is a must. If you got the dealer to install power scissor jacks that's pretty sweet.

As for the the 2nd AC, you don't really need it on a trailer that size especially if you have the 15,000 BTU unit. Even with a 13,500 BTU unit I think you'd be fine. The ducted air ducts work great. If you are concerned you might get too hot up front just have the dealer add a fantastic fan in the front bedroom to pull more air thru there. There is no power run there by the factory otherwise I'd have installed one already myself. We also use a small portable fan on the really hot days.

Happy camping
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Yep, that's what we decided, re: the 2nd AC unit. It was a splurge for the hot summer days when we travel south, but considering we used to camp in a tent, it really was an indulgence. It seems like one AC unit will do us just fine!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Good to hear you got it worked out. We had the dealer install a Fantastic Fan, pulls power from the nearby light. Makes a HUGE difference and the remote makes it easy to use.
2015 ST270BH
Old 04-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

We installed a fantastic vent and love it. Had one in our last trailer too. Got a sweet deal on amazon. I agree, I am anxious to see how the one AC does in the summer! We have only had our Sunset Trail since November.

Not sure if this is your first trailer, or first new trailer...sorry, I didn't read the intro. I would suggest finding a local place to spend a weekend for your first trip. Consider it a "shake-down" trip. Keep a list of everything that needs to be addressed. You don't want to discover things when you are a long ways from home, or in it for a week.

Congratulations on the purchase!
BMVillines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMVillines View Post
I would suggest finding a local place to spend a weekend for your first trip. Consider it a "shake-down" trip. Keep a list of everything that needs to be addressed. You don't want to discover things when you are a long ways from home, or in it for a week.
Absolutely, always really good advice! We're scheduling something close to home soon, can't wait to see how it goes!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
We love our ST290BH and we have the 2nd AC but we also live in Texas with 105 degree summer and 70% humidity it is almost a requirement.

Congrats on the new trailer and you will love it!

Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote