Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
New Camper

2013 Sunset Trails 30RE- question about window installation

Hello Forum,
I own a 2013 Sunset Trails 30RE. After a recent heavy rain I found a puddle of water on the floor of the trailer (rear living room area). While searching for the leak I noticed the seal on the rear window on the slide was different from all the other windows (including the other two emergency exits). Every other window on this trailer was sealed with a single piece of gasket material that went all the way around the window frame with the seam being in the middle of the lower edge of the window. The rear window of the slide is sealed with a couple of pieces of gasket material with nothing across the top (Pictures 1 and 2) with the ends flopping around. The ends were very lightly caulked down at one time and there may or may not have been a piece of gasket material across the top at one time.

Pictures 3 and 4 are what really make me think this is negligence by the manufacturer. In picture 3 the gasket runs straight along the bottom of the window but dips down as it approaches the corner. Picture 4 shows the underlying decal when I tried to straighten the gasket out. The gasket was covering- perfectly- the defect in the decal.

I contacted Crossroads and was told that this OBVIOUSLY wasn't a manufacturing defect because it hadn't shown itself within the 1-year warranty period. I told them that I knew this wasn't a defect because it appears to have been done deliberately. The dealer told me, after supposedly looking at the pictures, that that is how Crossroads installs windows.

Given all of that can anyone tell me if this is actually how these windows are supposed to be installed? I'm trying to determine if my anger at this whole situation- as well as Crossroads and the dealer- justified.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_fowardCorner.jpg (104.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2_rearCorner.jpg (152.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 3_BottomCorner.jpg (144.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 4_BottomCornerDecal.jpg (239.7 KB, 6 views)
TomK3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Did you purchase the trailer new?
Without looking at mine I couldn't say whether it's right or wrong.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
New Camper

Yeah- purchased new in 2013.
TomK3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

On my 2011 there are no gaskets, just caulk. I guess if all other windows have gaskets then CR changed method. I do think it should be continuous across top and sides. Go to your dealer and look at other units with similar window and if they look right then ask for a courtesy repair with 1 piece gasket

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote