Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2023, 03:39 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

2015 Sunset Trail Reserve converter or battery issue

Yes camper is still plugged. When i had it on shore power the old battery would not hold a charge but I still had lights. I changed the battery and I unplugged it from shore power my lights worked. Then I stored the camper in my building and installed a single pole 30 Amp. I purchased the 30amp receptacle kit from lowes ran 10/2 romex to panel and receptacle . It reads 120 from 1 leg (hot) to ground, and when I read the neutral leg to ground I get 0-volts. I get 120 when reading across the neutral and hot. But my new battery was completely dead. I thought the battery would charge as long as my camper was plugged in. I took cables off the battery and charged battery again. I noticed that there was some corrosion on both battery terminals. Cleaned it off. Waited 6hrs, battery read 80%. I hooked battery back up and everything works. I put a trickle charger on the battery. Not sure if my battery will hold a charge. I will take charger off tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks to you all for helping me .
Old 02-17-2023, 06:18 AM   #2
Site Team

A quick test is to take the battery cables off--- Black+ and white - and with your meter check for voltage on the cables. Should be 13 or more. If not what is it?
If you have nothing than go to your power center and check the 2- 40 amp 12 volt fuses. They are there to protect the converter in case you accidentally hook up the battery cables incorrectly/ backwards.

Do you know what brand power center/converter you have? On the 120 volt side of the power center check the breaker labeled converter. Turn it off than back on just to be sure it had not tripped. With the battery disconnected do you still have lights inside?

Try these few tests and let us know what you find. Good luck.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:58 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Wish I had seen this response earlier as I had the exact same issue. Replaced batteries with cables to the wrong side and whole host of issues followed. Then when I set up at a campground everything was acting up. Paid a tech $264 just to tell me I need a new converter because the converter was bad. He said the converter usually fails before the fuses, but apparently he didnt even check them as I'd come to find out later and more so wanted to make a few bucks as he said it'd be $450 to replace. I ordered a new one myself for $150 and when I went to replace, sure enough both 40 amp fuses were blown from initially accidentally putting the battery cables on the wrong sides. I already had the new one and instead of dealing with any more potential issues/hassle of returning I just decided to replace.
Bs106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:49 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs106 View Post
Wish I had seen this response earlier as I had the exact same issue. Replaced batteries with cables to the wrong side and whole host of issues followed. Then when I set up at a campground everything was acting up. Paid a tech $264 just to tell me I need a new converter because the converter was bad. He said the converter usually fails before the fuses, but apparently he didnt even check them as I'd come to find out later and more so wanted to make a few bucks as he said it'd be $450 to replace. I ordered a new one myself for $150 and when I went to replace, sure enough both 40 amp fuses were blown from initially accidentally putting the battery cables on the wrong sides. I already had the new one and instead of dealing with any more potential issues/hassle of returning I just decided to replace.
Thanks, yes I did the same thing. Reversed the battery cables and blew the 4/20amp fuses. I was praying that I didn't hurt the NEW converter. Luckily I didn't, but after I replaced the fuses the ac thermostat and radio didn't work. Thanks to dagst1 he told me to take the thermostat cover off and check the fuse. And to remove the radio and check that fuse too Yep fuses were blown, and I took the radio out replaced the 15 amp fuse and changed the fuse for the thermostat. Now everything is working fine. I'm so glad that I am a member of this forum, saves me a lot of money. I'm sure if I took it to the RV place it would have been very expensive . Glad that you got your issue fix. Sorry that the Tech took advantage of you.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:46 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu View Post
Thanks, yes I did the same thing. Reversed the battery cables and blew the 4/20amp fuses. I was praying that I didn't hurt the NEW converter. Luckily I didn't, but after I replaced the fuses the ac thermostat and radio didn't work. Thanks to dagst1 he told me to take the thermostat cover off and check the fuse. And to remove the radio and check that fuse too Yep fuses were blown, and I took the radio out replaced the 15 amp fuse and changed the fuse for the thermostat. Now everything is working fine. I'm so glad that I am a member of this forum, saves me a lot of money. I'm sure if I took it to the RV place it would have been very expensive . Glad that you got your issue fix. Sorry that the Tech took advantage of you.
I was having issues with the thermostat and what not but it was solved by putting a battery charger on the battery in the meantime while waiting for a new converter(which coulda been solved by replacing fuses on current one i believe). I don't know what thermostat you have but I have an RV Comfort.ZC. I did not see a fuse when I took it off the wall and looked behind it. Also, where would the fuse for the radio be? That also stopped working for me and it hasn't turned on since replacing so i suspect same issue. I've got a Jensen JWM62A. This is on a 2015 Sunset Trail 290qb. I agree, this forum is a great source of information. Now I'm having issues with cable adjustment, I just made a post on it. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:58 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
I was having issues with the thermostat and what not but it was solved by putting a battery charger on the battery in the meantime while waiting for a new converter(which coulda been solved by replacing fuses on current one i believe). I don't know what thermostat you have but I have an RV Comfort.ZC. I did not see a fuse when I took it off the wall and looked behind it. Also, where would the fuse for the radio be? That also stopped working for me and it hasn't turned on since replacing so i suspect same issue. I've got a Jensen JWM62A. This is on a 2015 Sunset Trail 290qb. I agree, this forum is a great source of information. Now I'm having issues with cable adjustment, I just made a post on it. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this.
I am having an issue getting my message to go through. I will try again.
The fuse for the thermostat is located right behind the front cover, you don’t have to take the thermostat off the wall. It’s a glass fuse 2A/250V. The fuse for the stereo, pull the stereo out, find the wiring harness that plugs into the stereo. Look under the harness should be a 15A (red) fuse . Take it out and see if it’s blown, mine was and I replaced the fuse for thermostat and stereo. Now i have NO issues. Thanks to DAGST1. Let me know if you have more questions or you can’t find their fuse. Have a good day
Old 04-07-2023, 06:11 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu View Post
I am having an issue getting my message to go through. I will try again.
The fuse for the thermostat is located right behind the front cover, you don’t have to take the thermostat off the wall. It’s a glass fuse 2A/250V. The fuse for the stereo, pull the stereo out, find the wiring harness that plugs into the stereo. Look und er the harness should be a 15A (red) fuse . Take it out and see if it’s blown, mine was and I replaced the fuse for thermostat and stereo. Now i have NO issues. Thanks to DAGST1. Let me know if you have more questions or you can’t find their fuse. Have a good day
Latest update on my converter. Everything works noe. I changed the fuses on the - and radio. Thank you for your help. This group has saved me money!
Old 04-07-2023, 06:57 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the reply. My thermostat is good after replacing. No need to check fuse. However, still need to check fuse on radio. Is it a glass fuse or ATC blade style fuse?
Old 04-07-2023, 08:28 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My thermostat is good after replacing. No need to check fuse. However, still need to check fuse on radio. Is it a glass fuse or ATC blade style fuse?
You are very welcome. The radio fuse is an ATC. It's located behind the radio. Directly under the wiring harness. Good luck, if you have any more questions please feel free to contact me.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:56 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

How did you get the radio off to access the back side? Mine doesnt have any exterior screws. And underneath in the cabinet there is no access. I have a Jensen JWM62A.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Not the exact same model, but looks very similiar. Here is what a tech responded on E Trailer.

Quote:
If you check out the picture I attached you'll see a recessed section on the side of the Jensen Stereo part # JWM60A. Using a small slot screwdriver you'll need to pry gently on that so that the panel removes giving you access to the mounting screw/hardware for this stereo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jv.jpg (7.1 KB, 27 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:28 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks, I tried that but it seemed unusally hard to pry so I figured it wasnt for that purpose. But I guess I will pry harder since that is in fact what it's used for.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:46 AM   #13
Site Team

Don't know if this helps but here is a link to the instillation/ owners manual. https://www.asaelectronics.com/support/. Just enter the model JWM62A and it will come up. Looks like mark is correct and it shows the location of the fuse.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote