Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
New Camper

2017 sunset trail 270bh

Hi,

Wife and I have been looking at a 2017 sunset trail 270bh for a couple weeks and have decided to purchase it contingent on a final inspection happening this Friday.

We are both excited and nervous as this will be our first RV purchase, I have been reading a few forums to gather some information about people's experiences .

I would like to know if anyone has any advice on what to look for on these used units, should I be looking for anything in particular? Is there any problem areas I should focus on ?

Any help is appreciated .

Thank you
Clouts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello and Welcome!

There is a pretty good pdi list in the document's section. Print it out and take it with you.

My personal advice is if you do not understand how something works tell them to SHOW you how it works. If you can get on the roof look at its condition - caulking around the vents - check the AC fins for damage.

Inside look in all the cabinets with a flashlight especially the ceiling for any signs of a leak.

Another thing ask them to put water in the tank before you get there. Then while you are there turn on the pump let it come up to pressure and it will turn it self off then while you do the rest of the inspection listen for the pump to turn on and off quickly. This would indicate a small leak in the water system.

Also have them turn on the refrigerator at least a full day before you arrive as it will take 24 hours to come to temp.

Make sure to roll out the awning and if its power it should operate smoothly in both directions. check the fabric for signs of mold.

These are just a few things to check. Others will chime in with more.

Good lick with your purchase. Happy Camping!!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:41 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Look above the tires and make sure they are not rubbing on the bottom of the floor...mine did . Needed to go from 3500 lb axles and springs to 4400 lb ones. Look at the dates of the tires...did owner switch out the Chinese tires to endurance ones?loom for any water stains on ceilings. Look on roof and make sure bath skylight is sealed properly.
Have fun.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Check the roof and look for tears, cracks in the vents, cracked sealant or anything that doesn’t look like it came that way from the factory. Ask how many miles they approximately have on the rig. Then look at the tires. Original, check tread depth, or replaced with good quality tires. Open the cabinets under the sink in the kitchen and in the bathroom. Bring a bright flashlight with you. Look for water/water stains. SMELL inside the cabinet. If it smells musty, look harder for staining.

Good luck. They are all good rigs. Some just require a little more love than others.
***Going for 1 million miles***
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have the same year make and model. Shopped for a year before buying new. No regrets. Has never been back for any warranty work which I thought was amazing considering what I read about others experiences. I really appreciated the porcelain toilet over plastic on most competitors and the 48” dinette as opposed to 42” found on others of similar size. Very well made and in my opinion better than the new one for 2020. Good luck and happy camping!
Random Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! There are good points above to consider.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
270, 270bh, sunset trail