Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
New Camper

2017 Sunset Trail 322BH

Hi everyone,
We are currently looking at a 2017 sunset trail 322bh. The dinette and couch slide is on the awning side of the trailer. We are concerned with this because the awning goes over top of this slide. Just wondering if anyone has had issues with this? We have noticed a trailer in our campground where the slide had almost come up through the awning while raining (they let water pile up on the awning). On our current trailer, we always tilt our awning one way when it rains. Wondering if this is an option on this trailer. Do not want to have a ripped awning!
Thanks!!
jmoore9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

When we purchased our new 2016 CAF25SE Cruiser Aire 5er the slide would push up into the awning without tilting a side. We noticed it a few days after we purchased it and got it home. Come to find out they had installed the wrong awning arms. After the correct arms were installed we can now tilt the awning on one side and it doesn’t touch. The reason I said this is I wonder if other units could install the wrong arms; Crossroads and others. The awning shouldn’t touch the top of the slide even if you tilt one side.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks so much!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Now if you don’t tilt one side to let the rain run off; I can see it loading up in the center and hitting the slide. I’ve seen awnings break in two with the weight of the rain water building up because the person didn’t drop one side and by the time they notice the rain build up its about to late. I had a friend that did that and he realized it in the middle of a rain storm. He ran out and tried to drop one side to let the weight of the water off and the weight snapped the awning when he dropped it. With all the weight he couldn’t let it down easy. Of course it would’ve broke within a few minutes anyway, with all the rain build up.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 03-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We have a 320BH. Our awning goes out over the kitchen slide out. The dealer told us to slice a couple of pool noodles down the length of one side and put them on the top edge of the slide out before putting the awning out. Keeps the awning from rubbing on the slide out and causing damage. Haven't had any problems with it. We have a electronic awning, and it automatically drops one side when it rains. HTH.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodique View Post
We have a electronic awning, and it automatically drops one side when it rains. HTH.
Now that’s fancy. I knew they had Rain sensors on vent lids and I’ve heard of the sensors that will retract the awning in high winds, but I didn’t know they had them that would tilt automatically. I need to get out more. Lol

Old 03-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
New Camper

Thanks so much everyone. Feeling better about it now!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

The electric awnings have an auto dump feature on them all .The lowest side or whichever side goes firest will let the shock go a bit and dump rain water off awning. It will repeat when water weight gets to a certain point . But it is still best to tilt any awning.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I bought some pool noodles and slit them, then when I set up, I slip the noodle over the top edge of the slide. It prevents the awning from contacting the sharp edge of the slide.
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I have also seen some people put inflatable beach balls on top of the slide to keep it from sagging. It works for slide toppers also.
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote