Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2022, 06:17 PM   #1
New Camper

253RB toilet leaking

I have a 2022 253RB that I've been in for 3 weeks and now the toilet is leaking at the base. I'm assuming this is a warranty situation. Should I just swap out for a Dometic 320?
Armymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:50 PM   #2
Site Team

What ever you do, do it sooner rather than later. Water leaking in an RV is a bad bad thing.
If that floor gets soaked up you will have one heck of mess.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Hello and welcome!

I guess the only one that can answer your question is you. If you want it fixed under warranty then take it in but if you want the other toilet and have the ability to make the change and it is a direct replacement than change it out.

If you take it in than it could be a while depending on the dealers schedule -- how many are in front of you but if you do the work your self and it still leaks than you may have voided the warranty.

Ultimately the decision is up to you.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:01 PM   #4
New Camper

It looks like it's the water hose running to the toilet. I tightened up the nut at the top. I'll continue to watch it for now. Still thinking about that 320. I like the idea of having a more comfortable seat, but am also concerned about space.
Old 07-17-2022, 03:45 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armymutt View Post
It looks like it's the water hose running to the toilet. I tightened up the nut at the top. I'll continue to watch it for now. Still thinking about that 320. I like the idea of having a more comfortable seat, but am also concerned about space.
I had the same leak as well as the kitchen faucet and outdoor kitchen faucet. I recommend wrapping all the faucet threads in Teflon tape, including the bathroom faucet then reattached the water supply lines.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:21 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

It is always best to pair the use of teflon tape with a light coating of PTFE paste on the outside of the tape. It lubricates to minimize galling of the tape and adds a 2nd layer of sealant protection. Just 2 cents from a habitat for humanity plumber.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnsn57 View Post
It is always best to pair the use of teflon tape with a light coating of PTFE paste on the outside of the tape. It lubricates to minimize galling of the tape and adds a 2nd layer of sealant protection. Just 2 cents from a habitat for humanity plumber.
Or you can use
Quote:
Blue Monster PTFE thread seal tape is a blue colored, professional-density, PTFE thread sealing tape. Pressure rated to 10,000 PSI and is engineered for use on iron, brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, galvanized steel, polyethylene, polypropylene, PVC, CPVC, ABS, fiberglass, and more.
With this teflon tape there is no need for PTFE paste.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tef.pdf (57.4 KB, 9 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:09 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Or you can use

With this teflon tape there is no need for PTFE paste.
Wow! Never heard of such tape. I'm getting some and redoing the facuets in my TT.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:31 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

2022, isn't it still under warranty? I know we all like to do things ourselves, but when it is under warranty, make them fix it. If not, the next time you take if in for something you can't fix, they may void your warranty altogether. Sometimes they are just looking for an excuse to do so so they don't have to put out the money to fix what shouldn't have broken or been defective in the first place.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSon View Post
2022, isn't it still under warranty? I know we all like to do things ourselves, but when it is under warranty, make them fix it. If not, the next time you take if in for something you can't fix, they may void your warranty altogether. Sometimes they are just looking for an excuse to do so so they don't have to put out the money to fix what shouldn't have broken or been defective in the first place.
That's easy to do if your dealer is nearby, but I know many members here have traveled hours to get to their dealer, let alone waiting weeks or months to get it in to be repaired. So that leaves them having to fix it themselves.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 07-17-2022, 08:48 PM   #11
Site Team

With the long wait at a dealer for service if it is something simple that the owner can fix many opt for that rather than wait for service. Things have changed a lot in the last few years. Dealers have sold a LOT of campers and now with a shortage of qualified repair technicians there are very long waits for any type of service.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:57 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I'm at a campground in the Rocky Mountains, hundreds of miles from any repair center. I get 3 water leaks. So, I should leave the campground, drive hundreds of miles to a repair center to have them tighten the connection between the water supply line and the toilet, under warranty? Or, I can fix the problem better than the repair center ever would and keep enjoying my camping trip?
Old 07-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
That's easy to do if your dealer is nearby, but I know many members here have traveled hours to get to their dealer, let alone waiting weeks or months to get it in to be repaired. So that leaves them having to fix it themselves.
Yeah, but he is talking about replacing the toilet. That is not a simple fix.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #14
Site Team

Disconnect the water line and remove a couple bolts. But if someone is not experienced/comfortable with doing repairs then by all means take it to a shop or call a mobile repair guy. Unfortunately the days of calling a dealer and getting a appointment in a few days or a week or so are gone for now.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:17 PM   #15
Site Team

I seems he fixed the leak and is only considering to replace the toilet. If you're fairly handy like dagst1 said, it should not be a problem. If not, dealer or handy friend.
I know members who were allowed to get a mobile service and were reimbursed by the manufacturer. That's another option.

I called in May just to get my rv inspected and cannot get it in until the 3rd week of August. He said they are book solid.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:21 PM   #16
New Camper

Has anyone installed a Dometic 320 in a 253RB? I'm concerned about the door being in the way. The hole is more than 11" from the back corner and the bolts are more than 11" from the walls on each side. However, when the door slides open, the distance on one side is reduced.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:05 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armymutt View Post
Has anyone installed a Dometic 320 in a 253RB? I'm concerned about the door being in the way. The hole is more than 11" from the back corner and the bolts are more than 11" from the walls on each side. However, when the door slides open, the distance on one side is reduced.
Did you ever get an answer to this? Thinking of doing the same.