Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
New Camper

290qb

Recently found a Pre owned 2015 Sunset Trail 290QB at a local dealer. Been looking to move from my Class C to a TT and thought I'd found the one. Looking online however, there seems to be a multitude of issues involving this manufacturer. Anyone had any experiences with this model? Thanks in advance.
Irishmafia27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Team

What you see is that complaints are always going to be posted here. Not too often do people post positive posts, and that's not just on this forum. That's on every manufactures forum. A lot has to do with dealers not resolving the issues, the manufacturer not wanting to authorize the parts and service some are upset because the manufacturer will do nothing for them when their warrant runs out. Here on the forum, many just want to blow off steam. I've had good luck dealing with Crossroads, my dealer, not so much.
So check out the other forums. See what's going on. Check out your dealer.
So far, I have not been disappointed with my Cruiser. Good luck.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

We have a 2015 290QB and have been very happy with our unit. We have had zero issues. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I would be a little concerned about a "pre-owned" 2015. Was there something wrong with it?? Make sure you do a thorough PDI.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

x2 to Jerry's comment.

Not too many good reasons someone uses and trades in a new trailer since you take a huge loss. Of ones that come to mind is a few versions of buyers remorse:
1)too heavy for tow vehicle/driver 2)floor plan not right for needs 3)defaulted on loan/can't afford

Otherwise, this may be a lemon they fixed at the dealer/factory. Unfortunately unlike cars/trucks, they do not have to disclose recalled or factory repairs.

You can always try contacting the DMV or your insurance company to find the previous owners using the VIN. They may have a policies on sharing that information but you might be able to sweet talk them.

The direct route would be to tell the dealer that purchase is conditional upon speaking with the previous owner.

Oh, on your original question, our last trailer had the same bunkhouse layout and it was absolutely awesome for younger kids, but it gets tight back there with teenagers and we grew out of it as our boys got older.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
New Camper

Great. Thanks for the info everybody. Much appreciated.
Irishmafia27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Your welcome,

Always cautious here since we seem to hear more bad experiences with dealers than good. So to round out all the negatives, if its a solid, water tight trailer. Your going to get a great deal and let some other guy take the first year depreciation hit while getting a close to new trailer

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

we have the same unit. just used it for the first time last weekend and loved it. We do have some minor fixes that still need to be completed from the PDI.

Most concerning is I noticed some bubbles in the roof where it comes down the side a few inches.

to add to this post. anyone know what size lug wrench I need to purchase?

Also want to put a hitch on for a bike rack. the 2 tubes that are welded onto the frame holding the back bumper seem solid. OK to bold on a 2" hitch for a bike rake?
jsd493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I have a 14 290QB, only had two issues with it in our first year. 1: The LED strip on the front had a LED stop working. No big deal because we never use it. 2: The skylight in the bathroom pulled away from the roof. 2 screws and some caulk and it was fixed.

Overall we love it and can't wait to use it more this year.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

My front has been replaced for a leak, the LED strip too. Now I have a slide leak, but it could be from the angle its been parked at thru winter. I've noticed the glue they used to fix the front is disintegrating after less than a year, so i think there's as many issues with the quality of repair products chosen by Thor (Crossroads) as with the manufacture process. Also have some concerns about the rubber roof holding up over time. Regular maintenance and annual inspections are key with any RV.

We do love the trailer layout and its functionality overall. We'll see if any new issues arise this season. I would have liked a walk on roof too, but that'll be on the list for next time.

JSD493 I would steer clear of adding a bike rack on the bumper unless you reinforce the welds and brackets.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:37 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Oh and that unit could have been a 2014 they titled as a 2015. They did that with my 2014 that we bought in middle of 2013. Also I traded my first TT in just a little over a year after I got fir a big f er one and my neighbor traded his smaller 24ft TT for a 40ft 5th wheel after one season. So its common to see some newer model used TT's simply because the buyer decided they wanted or needed mmore or less TT. Get a good after market warranty from the dealer, be sure they will honor it, do a detailed PDI, and enjoy.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote