Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
New Camper

291rk front storage

Our new to us trailer is in another city. Will pick up when weather permits. In prep does anyone know or can measure the opening for the front storage? Need size to buy storage bins. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Sunny View Post
Our new to us trailer is in another city. Will pick up when weather permits. In prep does anyone know or can measure the opening for the front storage? Need size to buy storage bins. Thanks in advance.
Hopefully you've calculated all your weights?
That's a 33'+ long rv with a GVWR of 7600lbs with a tongue weight of 1000lbs+ (13% of the GVWR) on a 1/2 ton truck with typically +/-1500lb payload depending on truck options. Check the yellow/white on the drivers door of your truck for the payload.
From that payload subtract that 1000lb tongue weight + 100lbs for a WDH + the weight of everyone/everything in/on your truck that didn't come from the factory.
To be quite honest I believe once you've calculated YOUR numbers you'll find that's too much rv for a 1/2 ton truck.
Unfortunately you aren't the 1st & won't be the last that been in this position from either bad advice of a dealer or not aware of or how to calculate the correct numbers. Typically "my truck is rated to tow XXXXlbs & that rv dry weight is only XXXXlbs" which both those numbers are absolutely useless for these calculations.
Hopefully this isn't you!!!!
2744.jpeg
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
New Camper

Thanks. I'll be scaling once we are loaded and set up. Any chance you can help with my question?
Old 02-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have to agree with Danny. Dealers will tell you “Oh you’ve got plenty of truck for that camper”. Been there done that. Can you pull a 33’ camper down the road with a F150, YES, except maybe some transmission problems down the road. Stopping is also a major problem. We’re not trying to give you a hard time; just trying to save you from an accident and problems down the road. A lot of wise many year campers on here.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Not sure where you got the picture but there is NO equalizer hitch. So that is not a fair representation.

As to the question asked - i do not have that camper but maybe someone with one will have the answer answer .
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

But to answer your question? They make storage doors many different sizes. Maybe someone that has that exact model will jump in later. Safe travels!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 02-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

EF2570AD-7178-4746-8DCD-8DC54FA821BA.jpg
As far as towing, here are the 2017 Ford 150 specs. If your truck has the maxx tow or heavy duty packages you should be within specs.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:26 PM   #9
New Camper

Thanks. I've had those docs for sometime now.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #10
Site Team

I believe the question was about the size of the trunk opening. So does anyone have that model and year camper to answer the question?

If they have a question/concern about the truck / camper and its ability/ratings them maybe they could start another thread about that.

Not trying to censure anyone but it seems that someone asks a specific question then the answers get off topic and the question never gets answered.
I agree that the tow rating VS real world rating is VERY important it just has nothing to do with the size of the storage compartment door.

Now we return to our regular scheduled program.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #11
New Camper

So just to head off anyone else wanting to school me on specs. I know the raw numbers involved, consulted my door labels, checked load spec on my tires and I have my production line sticker that details all my options. I've towed many rvs before so what nobody seems to include is load/weight distribution. I never travel with water of any kind except the hot water tank. As I mentioned these are all raw numbers and scaling the unit is the true test. I'm confident I should be ok. Also the manufacturer in setting GCWR engineers frame, driveline, brakes etc. to meet that spec. Using an arbitrated hitch weight percentage is only good as far as scaling. It can range anywhere from 10% to 15%.
Canada Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #12
New Camper

I agree.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:20 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Sunny View Post
Sunny, I don't have the same model or year but I looked at the specs on yours and it is very similar to the design of mine. My front to storage doors are 24"x14" on one side and 30"x16" on the other. I looked on the Trekwood site for yours and it shows the same dimensions.
https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...arch-keywords=

I hope this helps you.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:49 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Sunny, I don't have the same model or year but I looked at the specs on yours and it is very similar to the design of mine. My front to storage doors are 24"x14" on one side and 30"x16" on the other. I looked on the Trekwood site for yours and it shows the same dimensions.
https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...arch-keywords=

I hope this helps you.
Well at least maybe the previous post will help with your question. And again please don’t take the other post the wrong way. We may have jumped off target some but keeping someone safe with suggestions is really at our heart. Been there on both ends and have learned to not take it personal.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:34 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Welcome to the forum.

I believe Oliver answered the original question. Sometimes it is hard to sift through the wheat and the chaff to get the answer you needed but even in the chaff there are always a few kernels that are good to store in your memory for the future.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakherder View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I believe Oliver answered the original question. Sometimes it is hard to sift through the wheat and the chaff to get the answer you needed but even in the chaff there are always a few kernels that are good to store in your memory for the future.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

I've got the same model and year but it in storage and the weather is crappy out today but I can get you that information tomorrow probably when the weather is nicer. BTW we have been towing ours with a 2015 F150 2 wheel drive with tow package for 4 years with no issues. WE just bought a 2021 4X4 F150 with the max tow package but haven't had a chance to use it with the camper yet.
mrtomallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

We have same model but is in driveway. crappy weather notwithstanding, I measured and here is the answer for a 2017 Sunset Trails 291RK. Door openings on both sides are 28.5" wide X 14.5" tall. I bought several sizes of Craftsman red/black storage containers from Lowe's and they fit perfectly.
that said, let me add some thoughts (some may call it advice but Socrates offered advice and he was poisoned for it!).
1)Plan to get an awning over the slider. All was well with ours until we were parked on a site that wasn't level and it was a rainy weekend- slide leaked. It now seems to like to leak even in the driveway closed or open. I think I might have the slider pitched slightly down so water flows away from camper. I was considering an awning anyway to keep debris off of it but now for sure. I am looking at models from Carefree that I like the looks of PLUS I can get in colors other than black or white.
2)Sticker by door says Extreme Weather Package- excuse me while I barf from over-laffing! I took off the plastic underbelly and added insulatio n I ha=d left over from my shop. Insulation-4-less has rolls 4" wide and varying lengths and R value. I used the R-17 close cell foam and put it on inside of frame rails and sheets between rails just under the plastic & tanks. I cut plastic into 6 sections and can get back in fairly easily if needed to add tank heaters or more outlets etc. The 2" duct from furnace that is supposed to "heat" the underbelly was hanging BEHIND the rear gray tank. Ya like any of that heat will find its way forward? I ran that duct into a PVC pipe and routed it pointing forward by passing it around the rear gray tank and then used a 1/2" drill bit at an angle to encourage air to flow forward. I sealed with Gorrilla tape for now cause the EternaBond tape I bought needs warmer temps to apply- and I think I am going to add some more outlets from the bottom. I also used foam in a can to seal all holes between underbelly and inside- and couple other places as well. While it was open and BEFORE foaming, I insulated all the pipes with the foam pipe wrap available at home centers and secure with tie wraps but only snugged enough to hold and not strangle.
3)Our 2017 only had 4-5 uses prior to us finding it on side of road for sale last Spring so still smelled new. But even with little use, I needed to re[pair several doors that the hinges had pulled out of the fiberboard backing. The easy way is get good wood glue and toothpicks. I like TiteBond but any similar will work fine. I am a wood worker so have plenty on hand. Remove door and cut toothpicks to be flush or slightly inside holes. Apply glue and insert toothpick(s) and then screw hinges back in. The toothpicks give wood for the screws to bite into and the glue bonds it all together nicely with the fiber crap- er I meant board.
I am still fixing a few things and planning some "improvements". We are not planning to go further than 1-2 ours away so for now my Silverado hauls it fine, but it works hard on hills. Before we do any long trips I will need to upgrade my truck to a bigger motor and 2500. The torsion bars are built in a hitch that has a friction swivle. I like it until it gets off center and I am trying to put the bars in to go somewhere. I carry a small crow bar to "adjust" the position. Next year will also buy replacement tires and get a heavier load rating. We keep them covered but still I have seen blow out damage and not interested. I probably will catch some flack from someone about towing it with a 1500 still but it stays pretty level if I get the bars set correctly. Before next trip I have some air shocks that will help keep it level. For such a long trailer, it is really very light compared to others I have seen/spoken to waiting at dump stations. Overall I think you will like it. The rear kitchen we like a lot. it is quiet roomy. We also like all the windows. We had a 24' hybrid so are used to having great airflow. Which reminds me of first upgrade- chuck the bath fan and put in someting that actually moves air. I replaced the junk one with one that moves air 3 speeds out and 2 in if needed.
Now if I can just get better backing it into a super narrow driveway from a narrow street...... I been doing trailers a long time and figured it out finally but the positioning has to be exact or I get the wheels on some grass. At least I have kept it out of the flower beds on each side of the driveway. I don't golf but I know what a hazard is!
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

WE also have a 2018 291RK... Danimal713 Has the dimensions to an exact. I do agree with many thing they stated about the unit, but we as of now do not have intentions of cold weather camping. That being said, I do not have plans to add insulation to the underbelly, but find the information useful incase the thought crosses our minds to camp later into the season. We got ours used about this time last year and after one season with it we absolutely love it. It's just mama and me so a couples camper is what we wanted and this suits our needs and then some. The fact that is weighs under 5700# helps also. I have to update my signature and pic tho...we started with a 1500 and while it pulled it, I had many times I wish I was behind a bigger wheel. I am not going to go on a rant about trucks other than, I wish we were back in the day when If you had a truck...you hooked up and went. To much comfort and ride has taken away from the half ton trucks. We now have a 2017 F250 gasser. Also have 2ft of evil white on the ground, so I haven't had a chance to pull with it. Just got out of two full weeks well below freezing temps...hard to believe 40 feels nice. Hope you enjoy your unit as much as we enjoy ours!!!

2018 Sunset trail 291RK
2017 F250 gasser
Monday blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #20
New Camper

Looking forward to getting into ours for the first time. "Evil white"....a person after my own heart. Fortunately where we live it's a rare occasion but it still chokes the city when it does.