Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

A/C Issues

We turned our A/C on for the first time this past weekend and man are there issues. When we picked up the trailer in September it was 82 degrees, and the A/C seemed to be working just fine. We haven't really used it since we brought it home because the weather has been beautiful.

This past weekend temps were in the high 90's and the A/C just didn't work well at all. There was cold air coming out of the returns, warm air out of the supply vents, it was ridiculous.

Looks like I will be up on the roof re-sealing everything this coming weekend
Old 06-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

When we got back from Myrtle Beach the first of June I took our 250RB in for warranty work. Our AC was struggling as well. When the service folks looked at it they noticed the unit was not property sealed up from the factory. They stated they sealed it up and was blowing cold air with no issues. We are camping this weekend in 90+ degree heat so we will be testing it out. Hopefully you can get yours sealed up properly.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Check the end runs of your duct work. Many have found that they were not closed off and dumped cold air into the ceiling. I cut 2" foam to fit the duct and sealed them about a foot from the end of each run.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

How do you check the ends of the ductwork? I can't see in the durn duct! I did my best to do some sealing around the unit from the inside and around all the outlets/vents but I still don't have what I would consider a good air flow.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Pro BSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
Site Team

Try a cell phone camera with flash, or use some type of probe. I measure my ductwork from the last vent to the wall. Then measured how far the duct work continued. I was at the same measurement and that didn't make sense to me, so I plugged it with the foam.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

We remove the directional covers for summer. I also added two extra vent holes in the ceiling. A/C quality control is non existing at Crossroads as far as I can see. We bought ours in February.. Yea the A/C worked...One side...I had too reseal the duct work inside and under the A/C unit on the roof. It was like a five year old put it together. Good luck. PM if you have any questions.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Well, it seems the AC is working much better after 4 days of 90+ degree heat. The initial cool down took a lot less time than the last time. So, with the dealer sealing up the unit and sealing up two vents the camper stayed nice and cool. The hottest the camper got was 72 during the 95+ heat in direct sunlight. Also, I added reflective insulation to all windows to stop heat transfer. I will say this the window frame in the direct sunlight was very hot inside the camper even with the reflective insulation. I didn't permanently attach the reflective insulation to the windows so I could remove them quickly. They just pressure fit within the frames for easy removal. Not to mention it made the camper very dark at night!