Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #1
New Camper

A/C Unit Compressor

Hello Everyone!

My a/c is cooling like it should...sort of. SO a few weeks ago it Froze itself and I had to defrost it with my hairdryer (so not fun let me tell you), and since then, once it gets to temp, the fan turns off like it should but the compressor stays on for a while afterwards. The compressor also clicks on and off randomly without the fan coming on. Sometimes it's short clicks and doesn't fully stay on and other times it stays on without engaging the fan.

Advice please? I've been reading that it could be the control mod or the relay board? Are these the same thing? I don't want to call a mechanic if it is something I can do myself with a little help.

Thanks in advance!
Dory25198908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory25198908 View Post
Hello Everyone!

My a/c is cooling like it should...sort of. SO a few weeks ago it Froze itself and I had to defrost it with my hairdryer (so not fun let me tell you), and since then, once it gets to temp, the fan turns off like it should but the compressor stays on for a while afterwards. The compressor also clicks on and off randomly without the fan coming on. Sometimes it's short clicks and doesn't fully stay on and other times it stays on without engaging the fan.

Advice please? I've been reading that it could be the control mod or the relay board? Are these the same thing? I don't want to call a mechanic if it is something I can do myself with a little help.

Thanks in advance!
There is a FREEZESTAT that (should be) mounted ON the Coil, but they also get out of spec; they (were) about $15 year/ so ago, I read; this cycles compressor if/when coil Ices. They blow air below 32 when most working properly and RV cooled some; this is NORMAL. Capacitors do need inspection/replaced every years, along w/ blower motor oil and coil cleaning. You can also get corroded terminals on circuit board Push-on connectors, and removing/ reinstalling these will find loose terminals, or restore corroded to make good connections. (i.e. Scratch cleaning) LUCK Youtube used to have good videos on Freezestat?
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote