Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have had my 32BH for 1 year now. The awning leaks in the center and drips down on top of the stove vent. Of course the vent was not properly caulked so it flooded the inside the trailer. It was re caulked and does not flood inside now but awning still leaks water. Dealer tried to fix by puting more calk on the awning but said this was a common problem. This is not my first camper and have not had a problem before. I can not take it anymore as when the awning is extended I would like things to stay dry. The water leaks down, hits the vent, and sprays over everything. Anyone else had this problem?
awresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Yup same problem. Dealership said same bs as you, common issue. They added caulking, it never did a single bit of good, leaks even more now.
It is leaking right where the gutter tracks but up together, that connection is so poorly designed all the caulking in the world will not fix it. I am curious to hear what other have done to stop it from leaking. As you may be able to tell I have had it with this issue, such bs, should be able to have awning out in the rain and not worry about this leak.

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Crossroads put the seam of the guttering right there in the middle. Probably the dumbest place they could have put the seam other then right over the door. How come I can get 90 ft of seamless guttering on my house but they can't find a thirty foot piece to put on the camper without a seam? Bothers me every time it rains!

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
sle1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Have done everything that you all have done and doesn't fix it. Some things get so wet with that leak, I might as well not even have the awning out. Crossroads, please send someone out to camp in these things to fix theses problems in advance.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
sle1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Same problem here, I tried everything I could think of. Finally had success by removing trim insert, loosening screws on both sides of trough seam, and sliding a small strip of eternabond between the siding and seam. Then tighten the screws up. Has worked so far, fingers crossed.
Mine was leaking down the kitchen window, real nice.
I agree the seam should not be there.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy45
Same problem here, I tried everything I could think of. Finally had success by removing trim insert, loosening screws on both sides of trough seam, and sliding a small strip of eternabond between the siding and seam. Then tighten the screws up. Has worked so far, fingers crossed.
Mine was leaking down the kitchen window, real nice.
I agree the seam should not be there.

That is probably the best alternative short of replacing the track with a full length piece. When the awning is open, it is trying to pull the track away from the sidewall. With a joint, the ends can flex too much and allow water to run down behind the track. Extra screws as close to the ends may offer some help. Also, it may be possible to lap the eternabond over the top of the track to 'hide' the joint.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We have also had the same problems. Our leak is just over the side bedroom window behind the entry door. Water drenched all of our camping gear that we had under the awning on a few occasions. It really doesn't take a genius to engineer these things, any monkey with half a brain could figure out that putting a seam under an awning would most likely cause some sort of leak in the future. Our trailer is less than a year old and we've had several problems with it already. Our radio was faulty from the start, our mattress had a 2' long rip in it, san-t-flush water line installed incorrectly leaked all over inside the trailer, rear stabilizer motor went on 3rd trip out, decals peeled off and the list goes on.. We dumped $30,000 on this thing and it's worthless. Our dealer's service department is less than stellar and they don't care, they made the sale and have our money so who's the sucker??. I realize trailers are built to save weight but some things like the awning issue, san-t-flush lines over the electrical panel are just dumb designs without any though whatsoever put into it. Once I sell this piece of %$#& I will never buy another crossroads again or buy anything from lazee acres. Keystone looks like they might put a bit more effort in their quality control area.

2013 Sunset Trail 29ss

Hunter(black lab) and Scout(Shishon)
northern21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Northern 21 that is a laundry list, sorry to hear of you problems. Don't jump on the Keystone bandwagon without further research. You will find many of thw same type of problems with thier products. Both are owned by Thor and they produce a lot of product. Obiviously way to fast and QC seems to be secondary to profit.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Taking my unit back into dealership on Monday for a list of items to get repaired. We will see what round 2 brings on the awning repair. My guess is I will have to fix it myself on round 3, good help is hard to find.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Socoguy, I think your right, lesson learnt, I thought that when we were looking at the rv that I went over it well enough. Next time I will spend as long as it takes during the PDI and do my own QC of every major component. Crossroads also needs to acquire better engineers if they have any at all. Like I said earlier putting a seam under an awning, the san-t-flush check valve over the electrical panel wires, putting the rear jack switch right in line behind the tires where they will get a full blast of road salt/water/grime to me is just neglectful and lacks any simple common sense. We enjoy camping and the kids love it but there should not be this many design flaws on a new RV.

2013 Sunset Trail 29ss

Hunter(black lab) and Scout(Shishon)
northern21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Same awning rail leaking problem here and it's done it since day one but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to see it at the dealer in Albuquerque where I bought my unit. On the way back home to Tennesseeit began raining right after we set up camp and then I noticed it.I didn't think it would be a big deal to fix so I waited until several months went by and took it into a local authorized dealer to have this problem and a couple of others corrected. All they did was goop some caulking in therail channeland we all know from the other posts here how well that doesn't work. I'm currently camped out in Gulf Shores AL and the humidity comingfrom the A/C is dripping right down out of the same location and right on top of the outside 110 connection. I'm going to try theeternabond solution that I saw posted here but I'm wondering if anyone has tried Flex Seal yet? I've used it on a gutter on my home and it's held for over a year now.

https://i819.photobucket.com/albums/z...ailsCamper.jpghttps://ptarthur.com/Sunsettrailscamper.jpg
ptarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

norther21 is right about that dealer. never even checked my santiflush ...fittings not even tight from the factory.but thats another story.
about the awning , I put sealant inside the joint and has seemed to work so far and had to take the rubber covering off the whole gutter track and tighten all the screws as the water was coming down behind the gutter . all screws on both side s of the trailer need tightening.also had to add sealant above the gutter to where it meets the roof mateial . worked so far.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:50 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Noticed on this last trip that mine had a couple drips coming fron the center bracing seam as well. Luckily it doesn't affect any windows or doors on my 290QB. The perplexing thing I've discovered is that the outdoor shower is right over the 30 Amp connection. I know it's supposed to be waterproof but still seems like a dumb place for it. Otherwise we love our trailer.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Wow, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with the same problem. You figure that with this many people having this type of problem, they would try to rectify the problem. The whole purpose of an awning is to stay dry when it rains. Well i get just as wet if the awning is up or if its down b/c it leaks so much. Its piss poor designing.
2013 Dodge Ram Sport R/T 5.7 Hemi(Pics to follow)

https://i44.tinypic.com/mttqmh.jpg
thefabbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Well finally got mine fixed, insisted they used eternabond and reseal entire gutter rail. It stopped the leak, hopefully it lasts.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Yahoooo! Out camping this week, huge thunderstorm(love the sound of rain when inside a rv) and guess what ISN'T leaking for the first time...thanks goodness awning leak repaired properly.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Went through the season with the same leaking awning rail at the seams. Two seams, oneover the big window in the rear living area and another one near the door. Was told my unit was no longer under warrantee, (2012 30RE Reserve) I told the dealer that I was toldthe unithad a 2 year warrantee "front to Back", when I purchased it in March of 2012. Dealer said Crossroads no longer has a 2 year warrantee! I did try the FlexSeal...didn't work. Dealer is waiting for a reply from Crossroads. Anyone know about them canceling the 2 year warrantee?

Gary & Judy

Special Olympian Nic,

and Cody,the Chocolate Wonderdog

ST30RE
Chz hed campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

I as well as the 30RE (2013), and have awning leaks on both sides where the rails butt up together. One drips right over the outside 110V receptacle, the other over the slide. As well water drips in several areas where the awning fits into the rail (when awning is in).
Please let me know if the dealer is able to get any satisfaction from CR.
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Our 2012 Zinger leaked at gutter seam on both sides. I put caulk INSIDE the gutter from on the roof and it helped a lot.

If you have only caulked the bottom - maybe try some inside?

We will see how many summers before the new one leaks at gutter seam...
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
Seasonal Camper

Mine did too, even my previous rigs did. I calk them and have used Eternabond on them with success as well.