Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Awning problems

Ok, reviving an old post of mine about our awning.

My auto dump feature seems to work well and consistently dumps between the main door and the bedroom door. I still feel that there is a huge amount of sag...it's maybe a few mm from resting on the corner and edge of the slide. I've added some black foam pipe wrap which takes the edge out but it now completely rests on it.

One concern I do have is that in order to have the awning as taught as possible I need to have the awning lights nearly rolled up. I have the pins on the final adjustment putting the awning as high as it can go. The other three adjustments are completely useless as they put the awning tight against the leading edge of the slide!!! Whoever designed that should be fired!!!!

I have noticed now that when I roll it out, it looks like the awning is rolling but not extending until 3/4 done, then it jumps forward and continues to come out. To try and give a verbal picture, the fabric sags down until the arms retract enough to tighten it up. Not sure if there is another adjustment or not. Anyone have any advice outside of going to the dealer as I am on a 2 week camping trip and 400 miles away. Just hoping I can do something here before I get home....

Cheers
Old 07-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Looks like the arm on the right side near the bedroom is sticking while coming out. I wonder if the fabric is now slightly off for some reason. Does anyone know of a way to keep it in one place??
Old 07-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Are your arms even? Make sure the silver push button is in the same hole on each side... plus when the awning is out =keep one side lower than the other and the water will run off and the dump wont be needed. assuming you have a carefree...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Are your arms even? Make sure the silver push button is in the same hole on each side... plus when the awning is out =keep one side lower than the other and the water will run off and the dump wont be needed. assuming you have a carefree...
Thanks for the reply......

The awning arms are even on the last holes possible as they are the only ones that stop the fabric from stretching over the edge of the slide. I actually wish there was another hole to give it a few more cm of height!!!

I actually think the awning fabric has shifted slightly to the rear of the trailer as I noticed a grey plastic cord sticking out yesterday. Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to push it back in. Do you think this could cause the arm to stick??
Old 07-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

check for a screw in the awning rail up near the roof line
that is what holds the fabric from shifting front to back
gcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I measured the fabricland on each side from the end of the arm. On the right side (standing looking at the main door) it was exactly 3 inches. On the left it was 3 1/4 so the fabric has shifted 1/8 of an inch to the left. Could this have caused it? If so, why would it shift with the screws in??
Old 07-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Fabric will stretch a little. Doesn't sound like the 1/8 would make a difference. You shouldn't have to keep the silver buttons in the same hole. Sounds like you arm is slightly bent or out of alignment. That could keep the arm from extending fully. Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in store. It's still under warranty isn't it??

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
It's still under warranty isn't it??
Yes, it's only 3 months old!!! Not too sure how the arms would get bent unless the auto dump feature may have thrown it out as that's the side it dumps to.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Sometimes mine does the same thing, its really not a problem. as the awning unrolls gravity allows the arms to move outward. sometimes they sit in the upright position alittle then fall outward. I just give it a little push if needed. The arms tend to get hung up slightly due to the roller sagging in the middle because of the length. As far as the fabric resting on the slide. I use it to my advantage. It makes a great slide toper and the lower I dip the awning the tighter the fabric gets because it rest on the slide. adds a little pitch to it and holds it up in the middle. I have had my trailer for over a year and having the fabric touch the slide has not damaged or worn the fabric in any way.

I hope this eases some of your concerns.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
I measured the fabricland on each side from the end of the arm. On the right side (standing looking at the main door) it was exactly 3 inches. On the left it was 3 1/4 so the fabric has shifted 1/8 of an inch to the left. Could this have caused it? If so, why would it shift with the screws in??
Like stated, fabric can/will stretch. Also, just because the screw is in the position it's at, doesn't mean it was placed exactly right in the first place. There might have been a slight variance right from the start, but it being a new trailer, and lots of other things taking your attention, maybe you just didn't notice it right away.
As far as it rubbing on the edge of the slide, I don't think I would like that. Anything that continuously rubs, will eventually start to chafe/wear. Somebody said they slipped a swim noddle on the edge. I think that's a good idea.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Like stated, fabric can/will stretch. Also, just because the screw is in the position it's at, doesn't mean it was placed exactly right in the first place. There might have been a slight variance right from the start, but it being a new trailer, and lots of other things taking your attention, maybe you just didn't notice it right away.
As far as it rubbing on the edge of the slide, I don't think I would like that. Anything that continuously rubs, will eventually start to chafe/wear. Somebody said they slipped a swim noddle on the edge. I think that's a good idea.
I was actually the one who added the swim noodle. It does work well as it takes the edge off the awning but I still feel like there is a fair amount if sag. That being said, it needs to go back to the dealer in September for about 10 things that need repair so I will have then check it.

As for the arm rubbing, it was completely fine for the first several openings. Now it sticks!! You're right in the fact that gravity eventually takes over and forced the arm into position however I guess I felt it should work as advertised....petty I know!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
Sometimes mine does the same thing, its really not a problem. as the awning unrolls gravity allows the arms to move outward. sometimes they sit in the upright position alittle then fall outward. I just give it a little push if needed. The arms tend to get hung up slightly due to the roller sagging in the middle because of the length. As far as the fabric resting on the slide. I use it to my advantage. It makes a great slide toper and the lower I dip the awning the tighter the fabric gets because it rest on the slide. adds a little pitch to it and holds it up in the middle. I have had my trailer for over a year and having the fabric touch the slide has not damaged or worn the fabric in any way.

I hope this eases some of your concerns.
It does and thank you for that!!! One of my biggest concerns was that the slide corner would literally rub through the fabric!! It's not in their tight but eventually friction will wear through. If be interested to see not only how long the fabric lasts but what Crossroads is going to do about it as a significant design flaw will end up contributing to it's shortened life span