Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Battery charging

Does anyone know the brand or specs on the stock converter in a 2015 Sunset Trail 240BH TT? The one I'm getting has a single 12 V battery which I intend to replace with 2 6 volts in series. But I want to make sure I have a good multi stage charger so as to not ruin them prematurely. I have no manuals and don't pick up the trailer till 8/27, so I have no idea what the stock converter is that came in the unit. Hoping someone out there can fill me in...

Thanks!
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Do as you wish, but I wouldn't be in such a hurry to fix that which is not broke. Our 2015 has a multi-stage that works fine, and the battery is fine. If you want extra boon-docking capacity, just get another 12V battery, and put it in parallel. Once you get it, you'll find a lot of things to improve or replace. Mattress, shower nozzle, tongue jack, surge suppressor, battery disconnect, new hoses, extension cords, etc, etc.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Agree with Marty. You probably have a WCCO, 3 stage charging unit and maybe more.
Get er wet first before chasing more good money than necessary.
Good luck.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

OK, thanks for the advice. We do a lot of dry camping, and I use a CPAP machine, and from checking around the conventional wisdom seems to be to put 2 6 volts in series as a way to get more reserve capacity. Since they are more costly, I want to make sure I have a good charger to protect the investment.

But I'll take your advice and give it a good shakedown cruise, then see what's amiss and prioritize...

Thanks!
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

There are 12 volt cpap's that might work better for you as they pull less power and that way you can turn off the inverter too (which takes power to run)

The most important thing in battery life is charge cycles and rate...

if you have a 20 amp battery and charge it @ 40 amps... you are asking for trouble, so ensure your charge rate is correct for YOUR batteries