Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
New Camper

Bearing Failure

Sunset Trail Reserve~loaded within specs with all bearings greased and less than 4000 K on RV. Made a 200 mile trip and spotted smoke on right rear wheel while traveling 60 mph. Pulled over and problem was a right rear bearing toast... Called GoodSam roadside assistance and realized that that service is not as advertised. Very poor service and after 4 hours found a mechanic who was able to dress the spindle and reinstall a new hub and bearings... Downtime over 8 hours on the side of a busy freeway.. Not fun!! I am now concerned about the other bearings and will replace when we get back to home base. Hope no one else has had this experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4448.jpg (270.8 KB, 31 views)
Magnumker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:20 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I've done at least 30k on my 2012 Cruiser Aire, I found one bearing with a scratch on the rollers of the bearing. Replaced and repacked. Good so far.
Yes, we had problems getting towed by one of Good Sam's contracted towers also. Never renewed, just have AAA now. I've heard people have had problems in certain areas with them also.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to kidyounger
Had a bearing completely fall apart on freeway last summer, had a problem with route66 people, found someone on my iPhone ,didn't want to sit on the freeway all day.Also had to have axels realigned tire where wearing uneven. Have had to many problems with trailer with probably sell it.All these rv companies make junk, no pride in there work.
kidyounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I agree.
Ksh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

bearing failure

Last summer family and I took a trip from Denver to Seattle. Everything went well until we decided to take coast road south. North of Gold City noticed RV behind me flashing lights. I found a cutoff to pull off and found left rear hub smoking and rim wobbling. Bearing got so hot it melted the plastic bearing cover. We had Route 66 coverage. Called the help line and gav. e them all the information. Several minutes later got a call from a service station that had a contract with Route 66. Gave the driver all the information where we were at. Tow truck showed up about an hour later and spent an hour blocking up the axle. Drove the trailer to his service station. He checked the axle and said he would have to replace the axle. We were told repairs would take three days. He offered to let us stay in his yard and even offered electrical. Had the axle shipped in, and took about three hours to replace parts and we resumed our trip home. All went well until we tried to get reimbursment from Route 66. Can't complain about the service, but took over 6 months to collect most of what was suppose to be covered. Will not renew Route 66 but will go with AAA.
2001 ford excursion 7.3 diesel
Rick G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

This is just my opinion, but after seeing how horribly out of balance my wheels and tires were, I got the new ones balanced. Look and see; the wheels come out of the factory without weights, and are unbalanced. You should have seen the wobble and shake on the balance machine!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Please read my post tonight about catastrophic wheel/tire failures!

Just got back from our 2nd long trip. About to write about a crazy failure and Crossroads response!