Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
Lloyd, so what you're saying is the jack or receiver becomes a 3rd axle per se and reduces/distributes the overall GVWR across those 3 points?

I never thought of it like that. I guess it makes sense but even lifting the front of the trailer would exert more force on the rear axle wouldn't it? Like when you lift a board off the ground by one end...the weight is forced and increased onto the part still touching the ground.

Now you got it.

As far as lifting the front of your trailer---you want to keep it as level as possible. That will insure the weight is distributed evenly onto each axle.

When hitched up to the tow vehicle, stand back and take a look when parked on level ground. Everything should be level if the hitch is setup correctly. If you want to check a little closer, use a tape measure and check your distance from frame to ground front and back on the trailer.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #22
New Camper

We have a 2014 300BH that had a rr axle bend, mainly on the passenger side. With photos, scaled weights, and conversations we got ours warrantied a year past expiration.
I agree with minimum weight issue design. I have a design engineering back ground, and the automotive industry never would design without larger margins.
The thing I noticed in these discussions, is the extra stress put on the axle due to the wide design. The axles are fixed to the frame and the tire torque is all transferred to the axles. I believe that is why the bent axle are not in the center. I don't know when CR went to wide stance, but did they recalculate torque on axles
when they did? Just my thoughts. But we like the trailer layout.
dj and elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #23
Site Team

OK, So if you drop the front of Rv and put 2 jack stands under the frame behind the rear wheels, raise the front of the rv and put 2 jack stands under the front frame of the rv and lower the rv back down, you are taking a substantial part of the weight off the axles. Would accomplish the same with the new auto levelers they're putting on the rv's now.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
Lloyd, so what you're saying is the jack or receiver becomes a 3rd axle per se and reduces/distributes the overall GVWR across those 3 points?

I never thought of it like that. I guess it makes sense but even lifting the front of the trailer would exert more force on the rear axle wouldn't it? Like when you lift a board off the ground by one end...the weight is forced and increased onto the part still touching the ground.
Now you're getting it. The idea is to haul your trailer level, not pin high so to speak. Your hitch should be adjusted to reflect this. If you are tilted up at the front, thereby putting more load on the rear axles, you need to level your towing configuration by lowering your hitch point on your vehicle.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #25
Gone Traveling

Mark, yes you can use your level up system to raise all 4 wheels off the ground if you choose, had ours raised with them with all 4 wheels off for 2 days waiting for new brakes. If you're working under there BE SURE TO BLOCK IT UP!!!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #26
Family Vacation Member

The point of my posts goes more to the OP's situation and DJ & Elsa's. Warranty coverage for the crap axles CR used with these trailers. Why is CR not stepping up more? Maybe a recall for the affected trailers. You can be assured if one of these failures causes a serious highway collision with serious bodily injury or death NHTSA will be involved.

Hands down these axles are underrated for any application involving turning with the wide axle setup and loading them anywhere near the GVWR rating.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote