Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Black tank rod and t-handle missing/fell off

Hello,

We have a Crossroads Sunset Trail 262BH from 2018 that has been a pleasure to own.

Our first camping trip, we get to the site and notice that the rod/handle for the black tank were missing. So we did not use the black tank at all and for all intents and purposes is empty.

What do we need to order (part number) for the T-handle and rod in order to repair this? I see that we will need to remove some screws underneath on the underbelly to get access to the valve/rods. Is this fairly straightforward to do? I originally thought they were rivets but one of the guys at a dealer says they are self tapping screws.

Thanks
Mike
mikemilw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

They screw into the valve. You'll need to know what length you need first. Therfore, unless you can see the valve without taking the underbelly down, that should be your first step. You may be able to determine using a tape measure if you know where the valve is.

BTW.. if you know where the valve is and can't see it, you can cut a 3-sided access door in the underbelly and then tape it back up. Maybe you can see that by taking a few screws out and pulling down the underbelly to peer in there with a flashlight.

Pulling the whole underbelly down is a real PITA. Not so much getting it down but putting it back up into place.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNB3RD8...1V6BQ94C3GEXNG

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:59 PM   #3
Site Team

If the handle came off and that's all you need, Amazon has it.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T100...5G82XPAGE&th=1
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Exactly what Matt said. Cut a 3 sided access hole around where the valve is. Replace the handle and then tape it back up using eternabond.

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Handle only maybe loose set screw. Solution new handle and set screw. Temp fix visegrips.
Winterpegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterpegger View Post
Handle only maybe loose set screw. Solution new handle and set screw. Temp fix visegrips.
I think the OP said the handle and rod were missing.

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I have a 2014 Sunset Trail 25RB which is similar to yours. But, it appears that you do not have direct access to the gate valve for the black/grey water tanks and the handles and drain are the only projections on the outside of the trailer.
Am I right so far?

There should be some screws and washers holding the coroplast (underbelly) along the frame at the drain location. You can remove some of those first to get a better view of where the gate is located and at that point you should now what parts you need to fix it.

I don't know how the rod is attached; screw in or part of the gate itself. If it is screw in there should be no problem to slide the row w/handle in from the outside and screw the new one back in. You may want to use some loctite on the screw end so it doesn't come loose.

If it is the gate that needs replacing you can get those at an RV store and many box stores sell them as well. You may have enough room to remove the faulty one and it not you can cut the coroplast just enough to give you enough room to change out the gate. Hopefully the tank is EMPTY. Four bolts, spread the pipes apart, slip in the new parts and seal it up.

Use the Eternabond tape which is highly recommended. When I replaced my coroplast I used the Gorilla waterproof tape (the rubberized one) three years ago and it is still like new.

Good luck

Tags
black tank, rod, t-handle