Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

"Bouncy", shaking slide when retracting/extending

So.. I've looked all over the place to find an answer on this and I'm pretty sure it's probably been answered at some point but I'm not finding it now.

My cable operated large slide "bounces" and shakes as it is being extended or retracted. My small slides don't.. they go in and out smoothly.

I have tried dry lube on the bottom seal and it doesn't make a difference at all. I assume there must be rollers or a track of some kind underneath to guide the slide but don't see how to access it or any hint on how to lube it.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Not sure if this is your system, but if it is, this may help you.

https://www.nexusrv.com/fckimages/pd...ice-manual.pdf

Good luck

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:49 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Not sure if this is your system, but if it is, this may help you.

https://www.nexusrv.com/fckimages/pd...ice-manual.pdf

Good luck
Thank you. It appears that there are rollers on the bottom. I'll take a better look. It's not real obvious they are in there from the outside.

007matman AKA Matt
Old 04-23-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Update: no rollers.

All I see is a plastic/metal piece that the slide rests on. I cannot get in there.. my fingers barely squeeze through to feel it.

Is this normal that they do this? Should I be worried something is going to wear out?

007matman AKA Matt
Old 04-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
Site Team

A friend had some rollers installed on his slide to help, they installed aluminum sheets for the rollers to slide on also.

Here are some videos that may help you.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
A friend had some rollers installed on his slide to help, they installed aluminum sheets for the rollers to slide on also.

Here are some videos that may help you.

I think this is probably the ticket! Thank you!!

007matman AKA Matt
Old 04-24-2021, 07:46 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Here's a similar vide of AZ Expert adding rollers to the same type slide.

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:26 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats
The bottom of my kitchen slide was being gouged on the ends similar to the slide in the video toolman.dustin posted. Was able to jack the slide up about an inch. My slides ride on a nylon/plastic bar the full width of the slide. That nylon bar is held in place by countersunk screws into the floor about every foot. Those screws are flat heads about the size of a quarter. One of them had backed out and was gouging the slide bottom as it went in and out. Two other screws along the length were loose. Used a 90 degree slotted screw driver to tighten them back down. Then fashioned a 90 degree channel 4 inches wide on the bottom and two inches up from a thin sheet of stainless steel. Screwed that channel to the bottom on the ends of the slide. The slide now mostly rides on those end stainless steel channels. That worked so well I put channels on the other three slides in my unit.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:06 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KECoats View Post
The bottom of my kitchen slide was being gouged on the ends similar to the slide in the video toolman.dustin posted. Was able to jack the slide up about an inch. My slides ride on a nylon/plastic bar the full width of the slide. That nylon bar is held in place by countersunk screws into the floor about every foot. Those screws are flat heads about the size of a quarter. One of them had backed out and was gouging the slide bottom as it went in and out. Two other screws along the length were loose. Used a 90 degree slotted screw driver to tighten them back down. Then fashioned a 90 degree channel 4 inches wide on the bottom and two inches up from a thin sheet of stainless steel. Screwed that channel to the bottom on the ends of the slide. The slide now mostly rides on those end stainless steel channels. That worked so well I put channels on the other three slides in my unit.
That's a great idea and relatively easy fix. The edge of one of my slides is getting chewed up. I think I'll try you're fix. Thanks for sharing.

Dustin

Dustin and Doris

Old 04-30-2021, 02:37 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Sounds like a good fix.

So, trying to wrap my head around how that works. Do you have a picture?

007matman AKA Matt
Old 04-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I have the same cable system, it is the BAL AccuSlide. I had the exact same problem, with the slide jerking. At first, it helped a lot to use dry lube on the underside of the slide. However, over time it got worse. I jacked up the slide to look underneath and discovered that the plastic rail that the slide sits on was crushed on the ends.
After a gearbox failure from the strain of trying to drive the heavy slide on a bad rail, I found those rollers.
The roller upgrade works like a charm. That is how the slide should have come from the factory.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:47 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
I have the same cable system, it is the BAL AccuSlide. I had the exact same problem, with the slide jerking. At first, it helped a lot to use dry lube on the underside of the slide. However, over time it got worse. I jacked up the slide to look underneath and discovered that the plastic rail that the slide sits on was crushed on the ends.
After a gearbox failure from the strain of trying to drive the heavy slide on a bad rail, I found those rollers.
The roller upgrade works like a charm. That is how the slide should have come from the factory.
That's what I'm in the process of doing.

I called Crossroads/Sunset Trail/etc and they gave me the number for Lippert who sent me to BAL who sent me to yet another company (I guess BAL doesn't actually make it..

They gave me two different part numbers but told me it was very likey the 1/2" roller. I thought I measured it correctly and ordered the 1/2".

They came a couple of days later and wouldn't you know it.. I need the 3/4".

I found the part numbers on multiple sites but pricing was crazy. $34.99, $37.99, etc.

I was about to order them from eTrailer when I remembered what the woman at Crossroads said.. she said to call Colaw RV and order parts through them. Wouldn't you know it.. I called them and they were only $8.99 each!!

Whot woot!!

In case anyone needs it.. the official part numbers are:

1/2" 854304
3/4" 854303

The 3/4" size shipped today. Hopefully, they're here early next week. I'm gonna need to pay for shipping on the wrong sized ones but that's ok.. I still saved a lot of money calling them.

007matman AKA Matt
Old 04-30-2021, 10:59 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
That's what I'm in the process of doing.

I called Crossroads/Sunset Trail/etc and they gave me the number for Lippert who sent me to BAL who sent me to yet another company (I guess BAL doesn't actually make it..

They gave me two different part numbers but told me it was very likey the 1/2" roller. I thought I measured it correctly and ordered the 1/2".

They came a couple of days later and wouldn't you know it.. I need the 3/4".

I found the part numbers on multiple sites but pricing was crazy. $34.99, $37.99, etc.

I was about to order them from eTrailer when I remembered what the woman at Crossroads said.. she said to call Colaw RV and order parts through them. Wouldn't you know it.. I called them and they were only $8.99 each!!

Whot woot!!

In case anyone needs it.. the official part numbers are:

1/2" 854304
3/4" 854303

The 3/4" size shipped today. Hopefully, they're here early next week. I'm gonna need to pay for shipping on the wrong sized ones but that's ok.. I still saved a lot of money calling them.
That's where I got mine as well, in the middle of last summer when nobody had them. Colaw RV had to order the from BAL, but they were sent to me within a week. They also saved me with a gearbox, apparently the only one in the country at the time. I was in the middle of a 5000 mile trip, and they saved my trip.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:41 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
So.. I've looked all over the place to find an answer on this and I'm pretty sure it's probably been answered at some point but I'm not finding it now.

My cable operated large slide "bounces" and shakes as it is being extended or retracted. My small slides don't.. they go in and out smoothly.

I have tried dry lube on the bottom seal and it doesn't make a difference at all. I assume there must be rollers or a track of some kind underneath to guide the slide but don't see how to access it or any hint on how to lube it.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I found this video that makes a lot of sense on how these AccuSlide systems function. I like this fix. I'll use galvanized metal rather than aluminum.

Several other videos showed people installing rollers but later said the rollers were causing pressure problems with the Darco material.

Happy Camping,
Dustin

Dustin and Doris

Old 08-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats
Slide runner

Sorry 007matman. Just now saw your request for photos. The first is a piece of aluminum used as a prototype for size, etc. The next two are the thin stainless runner mounted on the bottom of a slide. You can see the screws holding it on the outside. Inside it is fashioned to fit the wood floor of the slide and screwed to it. The inside is covered by carpet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210801_135051717.jpg (203.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210801_134727950.jpg (102.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210801_134735706.jpg (107.0 KB, 17 views)
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
I found this video that makes a lot of sense on how these AccuSlide systems function. I like this fix. I'll use galvanized metal rather than aluminum.

Several other videos showed people installing rollers but later said the rollers were causing pressure problems with the Darco material.

Happy Camping,
Dustin
I think perhaps those that were having 'pressure problems with the Darco material' were probably not installing enough rollers. My main slide out is 3 feet plus deep, and 14 feet long, has a sleeper sofa and the dinette in it, and it is HEAVY! I think the Accu-Slide system is entirely too inadequate for this size slide, but I'm stuck with it. I put 5 rollers under the slide, and it is a night and day difference, and the only thing that really fixed the slide.
I have put it in and out 100 times, and I see no problems with the underside.
Also, there is a big difference in dry lube brands. You will have much better success with the WD40 brand dry lube (NOT regular WD40!).
Old 08-01-2021, 05:05 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
I think perhaps those that were having 'pressure problems with the Darco material' were probably not installing enough rollers. My main slide out is 3 feet plus deep, and 14 feet long, has a sleeper sofa and the dinette in it, and it is HEAVY! I think the Accu-Slide system is entirely too inadequate for this size slide, but I'm stuck with it. I put 5 rollers under the slide, and it is a night and day difference, and the only thing that really fixed the slide.
I have put it in and out 100 times, and I see no problems with the underside.
Also, there is a big difference in dry lube brands. You will have much better success with the WD40 brand dry lube (NOT regular WD40!).
14' sounds like mine. I agree it's too heavy for the accuslide system and the wear bar. 5 rollers sounds like a much better weight distribution than the three I've seen others install. I can't imagine the wear bar is a good idea on anything other than maybe a queen sized bed. My trailer has been in for repairs for the past 3 months, water damage. When I get it back I'll only have about 3 weeks to fix the jerky slide. Hopefully I can get this done before we take a one month long trip. Thanks for the feedback.

Dustin and Doris

Old 08-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
14' sounds like mine. I agree it's too heavy for the accuslide system and the wear bar. 5 rollers sounds like a much better weight distribution than the three I've seen others install. I can't imagine the wear bar is a good idea on anything other than maybe a queen sized bed. My trailer has been in for repairs for the past 3 months, water damage. When I get it back I'll only have about 3 weeks to fix the jerky slide. Hopefully I can get this done before we take a one month long trip. Thanks for the feedback.
So.. an update.

I did find the rollers.. there are two sizes to choose from.. 1/2" and 3/4" I ordered the wrong ones the first time.

My camper doesn't have the Darco material he's referring to in the video. I like the solution he had there but dont think it'll be a problem for me due to the fact I don't have that material. I guess time will tell.

I installed 5 of them maybe a month ago. However, the problem that I was trying to avoid occurred just after I installed the new rollers.. the gearbox stripped three days before our trip to Glacier National Park. I was so mad but I did find a replacement gearbox and install that the day before we left.

No issues on the trip. The slide works well and no more jerking. I also do not see any visible signs of wear.

007matman AKA Matt
Old 08-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Wear bar with screws in it, really

Quote:
That nylon bar is held in place by countersunk screws into the floor about every foot. Those screws are flat heads about the size of a quarter. One of them had backed out and was gouging the slide bottom as it went in and out. Two other screws along the length were loose. Used a 90 degree slotted screw driver to tighten them back down.
So I installed my galvanized metal runners on the ends of my heavy kitchen slide. After I got it all done I ran it in and out a couple times and then checked it. There's a very large gouge in the sheet metal. After inspection I can just barely see a large screw that has backed out of the wear bar. I can barely see it, I can't imagine how I'd get in there to tighten it. I even tried to get a sawsall in there to cut the screw off.

In the two photos below you an see the screw (red arrow) that cut the grove in the sheet metal (2nd photo).

It's no wonder the Darco material is being torn to shreds, it's gouging the sheet metal in just two trips in and out.

Any suggestions on how to access this screw?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScrewHead2.jpg (1.73 MB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210818_164105483_HDR.jpg (266.0 KB, 17 views)

Dustin and Doris

Old 08-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #20
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
So I installed my galvanized metal runners on the ends of my heavy kitchen slide. After I got it all done I ran it in and out a couple times and then checked it. There's a very large gouge in the sheet metal. After inspection I can just barely see a large screw that has backed out of the wear bar. I can barely see it, I can't imagine how I'd get in there to tighten it. I even tried to get a sawsall in there to cut the screw off.

In the two photos below you an see the screw (red arrow) that cut the grove in the sheet metal (2nd photo).

It's no wonder the Darco material is being torn to shreds, it's gouging the sheet metal in just two trips in and out.

Any suggestions on how to access this screw?
Perhaps you could jack up the slide so that all the weight is off the bar, go as far up as you can so you have as much space as possible, then get a large flat screwdriver or some such tool, and lift the bar up enough to get your sawsall under it to get to the screw.
My bar collapsed flat on each end, and I really had to have the rollers.