Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
New Camper

Unhappy Buyer Beware

I have recently purchased a new 2014 fifth wheel holiday trailer, Sunset Trail Reserve, Model 34-BH from Islander RV in St. John’s, Newfoundland. It was built, inspected and approved the Crossroads facility, then shipped to Islander RV, at which time it was again inspected and approved for sale.
The official purchase date was September, at which time I picked up the trailer and set it up at a RV camp site. After using the trailer for occasional camping trips, I had an issue with the black water tank at the back of the trailer over flowing after emptying the kitchen sink. The water came out onto the floor in the kitchen area. At that time I knew there was a major issue considering that the water from sinks and showers is classified as grey water and should not be going to a black water tank.
Please note that this model has a shower, sink and toilet on the upper level with a black and grey water tank. Also a kitchen sink and half bath with sink and toilet at the rear and an outside kitchenette with a sink. There are separate black and grey water tanks at the rear as well for those amenities. That is a total of two black water tanks and two grey water tanks.
After trouble shooting this issue myself, I discovered that the kitchen sink, the half bath sink and toilet was all tied into the black water tank at the rear. Only the outdoor kitchenette sink was going to the grey water tank at the rear.
At that time I informed Islander RV of the issue and taken the trailer to their facility for repairs.
Once again a kitchen sink would be classified as grey water, as it is stated in the owners manual under section labeled Storage Tanks.
Islander RV had confirmed the issue that all the amenities were going to the black water tank. Phone calls were made to the Crossroads management team by myself and Islander RV informing them of the situation. We were told that is how it was designed and that Islander RV should have informed us of that. A blue print was requested to confirm it was designed that way but Crossroads refused to disclose it to myself or Islander RV.
So how could Islander RV even inform us of the design if they cannot even get a blue print to review?
I feel this situation can be easily rectified by running the plumbing for the kitchen and half bath sinks to the grey water tank. Or if there is not enough room to accommodate that design, you can install a specially molded tank to allow for the plumbing to run properly or put one big tank at the back for everything. Right now there is a grey water tank at the rear which really serves no purpose.
Crossroads claim that the trailer was built properly and up to code.They will not address our concerns.
The fact that , what I consider to be a design flaw, was not disclosed to anyone was deceitful and should be known to any and all customers.
chassem74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Online it states that you have a 80 gallon black and a 80 gallon gray tank. Is that correct or is it a mistake?? Seems very confusing. Do you have multiple black and gray tank monitors?? Sounds like a very poor design or a very big mistake. Keep up with contacting Crossroads for an answer. Try calling anyone on the warranty team to see if they can help you. Good luck and let us know if you hear anything.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

This lady was absolutely fabulous to work with on our warranty issue:

Andi Miles
Service Writer
Email: amiles@crossroadsrv.com
Phone: 260-593-3850 ext 2407
1115 West Lake St.
Topeka, IN 46571

I suggest calling rather than emailing. Good luck.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Online it states that you have a 80 gallon black and a 80 gallon gray tank. Is that correct or is it a mistake?? Seems very confusing. Do you have multiple black and gray tank monitors?? Sounds like a very poor design or a very big mistake. Keep up with contacting Crossroads for an answer. Try calling anyone on the warranty team to see if they can help you. Good luck and let us know if you hear anything.
Hope this explains it a little better.
This model has two 40 gallon grey water tanks and two 40 gallon black water tanks. There is a black and grey water tank at the front for the main bath shower, sink and toilet. There is a grey and black water tank at the back for the kitchen sink, half bath sink and toilet and outdoor kitchenette.
I have been contacting CrossRoads management for months on this matter via phone and email. They claim its how the trailer was designed and there is nothing they can or will do.
Since posting this issue, just today, I have received a plumbing schematic for this trailer and it do show that all the plumbing at the back, kitchen sink, half bath sink and toilet is running to the black water tank. Only the outdoor kitchenette sink is running to the grey water tank.
Really at this point it means nothing. We were never informed that this is how the plumbing was set up and I still say its a design flaw that should be fixed. I don't know of any other trailers that run there grey water to a black water tank.
If nothing else, I just want to inform the public and potential customers of what has happened and CrossRoads response to the matter.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I know it sucks but I have seen other manufacturers plumb bathroom sinks and sometimes showers to the black tank as well. It does seem odd though that you have a 40 gallon tank for just an outside sink. I think I would start doing my dishes in that sink to help with water issues. Good luck.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Like Anaro said there are other manufacturers that dump everything into a black tank. I seem like you have a huge capacity for gray and black tank water. You're going to have to monitor the black tank that overflowed so it will not happen again. Do you feel comfortable re-plumbing it yourself. Or have any plumber or rv dealer do it. by doing so it might give you some piece of mind. Good luck.

ps
cutting and gluing plastic pipe together is fairly easy. Laying it out is the hard part.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 01-15-2014, 04:48 AM   #7
New Camper

I could easily re-plumb it myself but feel that CrossRoads should take care of it just because they did not inform us of how the plumbing was installed. If we were informed I would not have overflowed the tank into my kitchen. That is the main reason I'm disappointed with CrossRoads, the lack of information given to the customer. Plus it's a major inconvenience having to dump that tank twice as often than normal. If they would even put one big tank at the back for all those amenities I would be satisfied but they refuse to do anything.
I do appreciate the feedback
Old 01-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

What is the timeline? Did YOU contact Crossroads?

In my humble experience, dealers are generally worthless for warranty work. Keep on Crossroads and they should (and likely will) address your concerns. It may take some time, but be patient and diligent.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
Site Team

I'm not sure Crossroads will do anything in this instance. It was built to the specs on the plumbing schematic. So in reality there is no warranty issue or defect in construction. You could say it is a poor design. Seems like the dealers should be aware of how each individual Rv is built. Many have no idea. I know when I was doing research for my new Cruiser I searched all over the net for answers and asked a million questions of the dealer. There were salesmen at some dealerships who new less than others. I felt like I was teaching the salesman about the Rv he was selling.
IMHO I believe the dealer let you down. He should know his product.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Site Team

I fully agree with Mark.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
New Camper

I have received some great news recently.
After many phone calls and emails and the countless amount of time it takes to inspect and remove the underbelly of and trailer, several times, Islander RV have come up with a solution for my plumbing issue. Not only a solution but the proper fix. Grey water to the grey tank and black water to the black tank.
My hat goes off to Islander RV for their dedication to this issue. Something that would have taken an hour on the factory floor will now take days to complete. It was just a matter of changing one component that would allow the clearance needed for the plumbing. CrossRoads had just done the bare minimum, what was easy and cheap.
Anyway, Thank you again Islander RV. When the time comes for me to downsize to a new trailer you have guaranteed yourself a repeat customer.
Maybe not so for CrossRoads.
To anyone thinking of buying a trailer, do your research, ask the questions and thoroughly inspect and function all components before signing on the dotted line. It will ensure you know what your getting.
Happy Camping everyone!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

On a sorta similar note , while on vacation in Newfoundland this past summer ,the cheap water pump in my new Sunset Trail started leaking(used 3 weeks)and we went to Islander RV in St Johns . Got the new pump,shur-flo this time,and was on my way.
Very friendly bunch there and conveniently visible from the highway with easy access.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

[QUOTE=harley;70415]the cheap water pump in my new Sunset Trail started leaking(used 3 weeks . Got the new pump,shur-flo this time,and was on my way.
QUOTE]

Did it leak inside the trailer? Curious as it looks like we have the same TT.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Was spewing all inside the hot water heater compartment and leaking thru the hole that the hoses go thru and leaking out the bottom. Left the cover for the heater compartment off for the remaining 3 weeks of vacation.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #15
Site Team

Was the pump getting louder before it went out?
Reason I ask, when we out in CO. last summer the W. pump was getting louder. I was lucky enough to have looked in under the sink where its housed, and I seen some water on the floor. I shut things off and went and got a new pump. I felt pretty fortunate to have caught it like that.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Not sure , the kids were having showers and I was out getting a 5 gal jug of water to refill tank , came back and noticed water pouring out of underbelly. My pump is where the water heater is so there was a hole where the hoses go thru to allow water to escape.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Was spewing all inside the hot water heater compartment and leaking thru the hole that the hoses go thru and leaking out the bottom. Left the cover for the heater compartment off for the remaining 3 weeks of vacation.
I just went out and looked at mine. Might look into caulking that box at the floor so that water would be forced to exit out that hole. I usually turn the pump switch off if we are going to be out and about so don't know if really necessary.

I also looked at bathroom door. Just so I am clear, on the 25RB you just swapped the left and right jamb, but no need to flip door upside down? I assume it is not that big a deal to reach behind slide and open door with slide in? Not much room left to get thru with slide in. We could do it, but I could see where someone "bigger" may have a hard time.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:29 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODERRVING View Post
This lady was absolutely fabulous to work with on our warranty issue:

Andi Miles
Service Writer
Email: amiles@crossroadsrv.com
Phone: 260-593-3850 ext 2407
1115 West Lake St.
Topeka, IN 46571

I suggest calling rather than emailing. Good luck.
I agree totally,call Andi and hear her out,ask her where in your area there is a CR warranty shop.
Best of luck

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote