Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2022, 07:58 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Cabinet stain

I have a 2018 Sunset Trails 222rb and want to make a new drawer front in the outdoor kitchen area to install a tv mount. Can anyone tell me what brand of stain Crossroads uses on their cabinetry
Dlowfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome.

Checked the 2018 brochure and there is no mention of wood color. Can you remove a door from somewhere else and take it to a cabinet shop or maybe one of the big box home stores and see if they could match it?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Minwax has a good selection of stains. Remember, different varieties of wood stain differently with the same color stain.
For the finish, I've been using water based Minwax Polycrylic, very durable and water clean up.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:18 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlowfer View Post
I have a 2018 Sunset Trails 222rb and want to make a new drawer front in the outdoor kitchen area to install a tv mount. Can anyone tell me what brand of stain Crossroads uses on their cabinetry
They do not use a stain on their "wood", it is a plastic(vinyl?) coating.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:22 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZeee View Post
They do not use a stain on their "wood", it is a plastic(vinyl?) coating.

I don't think that is entirely correct. My cabinet doors are stained.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:25 PM   #6
Site Team

That depends on the brand /level of camper. Our Cruiser had real wood and our Seville has even more. But that comes with a price in the form of extra weight.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:29 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I don't think that is entirely correct. My cabinet doors are stained.
I stand corrected, most I have seen, from many manufacturers, are simply plastic coated. That being said, I wouldn't doubt the higher end stuff uses real wood. (I wouldn't know, I am not wealthy enough to bother looking at the high end stuff.)
Old 05-20-2022, 09:55 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

cabinet stain

Thanks for all the replies.

My drawer front is made from 1X maple.

I was able to find a minwax stain that sure looks like the original, but will only know when the new one has the stain and polyurethane are applied.

My motivation in making a new drawer front is to be able to put a quick release tv mount on it in the outdoor kitchen area. I didn't want to have to fill the holes from the cabinet hardware and put screws into the face of the original drawer fave to secure it to the cabinet frame. I'll just keep the original and change it out when i go to sell it someday down the road.
Thanks again all
D
Old 05-22-2022, 05:53 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Best to try it on a sample piece of board to see what colour it comes out as and see if it matches. Apply the top coat as that can change the colour somewhat.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:29 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlowfer View Post
Every piece of "wood" in my 2018 Sunset Trail is really Genuine Simulated Wood. Which means it's vinyl wrapped, compressed paper. I have yet to find anything that is real wood, and I've looked.

I suspect this is to reduce weight and cost.

Dustin

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 07:25 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
Every piece of "wood" in my 2018 Sunset Trail is really Genuine Simulated Wood. Which means it's vinyl wrapped, compressed paper. I have yet to find anything that is real wood, and I've looked.

I suspect this is to reduce weight and cost.

Dustin
While you are mostly correct, I think if you look at the doors, you might actually find that the rails & stiles, and maybe even the panels, are actually real wood(Maybe). The face frames are almost guaranteed to be vinyl wrapped.
Old 01-21-2023, 05:17 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Its been a few years since I have done any re-finishing, but I've done more than my fair share over the years when I used to do contracting work, and would help out with a friend who owned an antique refinishing business.
Unless technology has progressed wildly since then, Stain cannot be "color matched" like paints can. Most times its a tedious process, depending on how finicky the owner is, other times its as simple as pie.
Commercial processes for staining vary a great deal from the process we would use at home, and will garner slightly different results in color and depth, sheen, ect. along with that, there are products that can be used on the bare wood prior to staining that can change things, like wood cleaners, sealers, and even "aging" chemicals. Some varnishes will yellow over time, and make it even harder to match colors.
It is possible to mix stains together to change colors, but that is a tedious process as well without a good understanding of the colors you are using, and a good supply of different colors to start with.
As someone stated above, your finish coat will change the color as well, so its wise to do samples in their completed state before committing to one.
Another poster referenced Minwax Polycrylic. I have used that several times in the past, and like the fact that it is water based, and produces great results, but it will not wear as well as a varnish or lacquer finish. I personally did a few cabinets in my garage with it years ago, and over time, the finish rubbed off in well used places, most notably behind the door pulls, and around knobs. My go to has always been starting with lacquer sandable sealer, a quick scuff with 220 grit, and then lacquer clear wood finish from Deft. (you can get satin or semi-gloss finishes) Not the easy water cleanup, but professional results every time.
Good luck with your project, and sorry for the long read!

It dries extremely fast, and is a very durable finish.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:23 AM   #13
Site Team

Well written, and it jogged my memory of my past wood working experiences.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:55 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

cabinet stain

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to take my existing drawer front and a scrap of the wood used to make the new one to Sherwin Williams and have them color match the stain. It took about a week for them to do this but they did a great job and the match is great. FYI I found that my drawer fronts were maple.

There was no charge for the color matching, just had to buy a quart.

Thanks again
Dave
Old 01-27-2023, 07:28 AM   #15
Site Team

When we moved in to our current house the wife wanted a cabinet door where there was some dead space in the kitchen. Took off another door and went to a local cabinet shop and had a matching door made. They were able to match the color and now it is hard to tell the new door from the original ones.

Glad it worked out for you and Thanks for letting us know.