Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Cable TV Fuzzy...trouble shooting

Took our camper out this weekend and the site we were at has cable TV hookups. I hooked up the cable to the camper and it was very snowy and fuzzy. I tried two more cables and the same issue. I had one of the camp hosts come over and check their signal and it was good. I even bypassed the camper all together and ran the cable to the back of our outside TV and it was crystal clear. So, below is what I did to trouble shoot the problem:

1. Took the cable connection box off of the back of the camper and tightened all cables. Tested the cable inside the camper and still fuzzy.

2. Removed the splitter from inside the cabin and tightened all connections. Tested cable again and still fuzzy.

3. For kicks I swapped the cable from the back of the camper to satellite and connected the satellite cable to the TV. That cleared up the cable considerably.

4. The TV splitter inside the cabin has some electronic board on it. So, I bypassed all that and hooked the cable up directly to a standard home style two to one cable splitter. When I did that the cable cleared up and no issues. So, it seems the splitter inside the cabin may be bad.

Below is the picture of the splitter inside my camper. As you can see it has an electronic board on it that splits up the signal to the cable or TV antenna. My feeling is that this splitter is bad. Biggest question is...where can I get one of these? My local dealer is backed up until December on service work. Since I'm camping in two weeks and the week of Thanksgiving I'd like to get this resolved before the 18th. Any ideas or suggestions would be highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4237.jpg (158.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4238.jpg (130.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

The red/green button on that piece in your photo must be off for viewing cable channels & on for antenna, it's the antenna booster, any splitters will be buried in ceiling or walls.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Yes I know this. It's off but looks like it's on in the picture.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:57 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Not sure what the purpose of that piece is...
Is it original to the rv ?

Does all work well without it in the loop ?
If so, leave it out... and enjoy the great outdoors

If it is just a signal splitter, most anywhere sells them cheaply... and boosters are not that much more expensive...
Old 11-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

It came original with the camper when we bought it in February. Never had a problem with it until this past camping trip when we were trying to watch some college football with friends.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I had this same issue with my SOB 5th wheel (not my CR trailer). Even had a local DISH network installer come look at it. He's seen this devices on lots of RVs and, in his words, they are all crap.

If you're not using the OTA antenna, bypass this switch and hook the cables directly together. If you need the OTA switch from time to time, get good splitters and hook them up so that they are available OUTSIDE of the wall/roof area so that you can get to them. It's not the most attractive fix but it will be functional.

Another thought -- has anyone seen an upgrade to these stock electronic OTA/cable devices? There has got to be something out there that we can use to replace the stock devices.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

That's my plan is to just bypass this switch. It's not worth the headache at this point.