Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
New Camper

Considerations for a first time buyer?

Hi! I have been researching travel trailers (and local dealers) for sometime and we are nearly ready to buy. We have narrowed our choices down to a 2020 Sunset Trail super lite 289QB or a couple of different Grand Design models.

The ST just came on our radar mainly due to layout, weight and price range. Our search criteria - 3-4 season as we camp year round; bunkhouse (2 teenage boys); solar prep; under 33 ft and 7500lbs; comfortable/roomy as we will be using for up to 2-3 months at time and at least half the year - some traveling and some stationary (parked on offgrid property we own).

In my research on the ST I've come across many reviews about poor quality build and numerous issues. While I know many of the problems I've read about are not exclusive to the ST, I'm hoping someone here with some personal experience could give me some insight 1) in general as a first time buyer and 2) pros and cons to Crossroads ST line.

TIA!
rebeldandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

We have a 2012 Sunset Trail which might be a good item of comparison. Although sometimes quality goes downhill in later models when manufacturers cheap out in some areas, most times in my experience with both vehicles and campers, rough edges get ironed out so later models have fewer issues than earlier ones.

We bought our TT used so it also had the "benefit" of some rough usage from earlier owners. Here's what we've found so far.

1. Major subsystems are sound. Plumbing gate valves, electrical/charging systems, windows, and so on are all fine. To our knowledge they've never been worked on, nor needed it.

2. Cosmetic items are getting a little rough, especially trim pieces. We have four ceiling cross-strips, the little decorative flat mouldings they cover with the same wallpaper as the ceiling itself and fasten across gaps between ceiling sheets. All four have the wallpaper covering peeling and/or warping. There is also warping in the wallpaper underneath the kitchen window behind the sink. These don't appear to be water damage, it looks like heat-based shrinkage/warpage during storage.

3. We have an "insulated basement." Our plastic sheet covering it is still in great condition, but doesn't appear to be held on with enough screws. There are a few areas where it's sagging/pulling away exposing about 1/4" of the spray foam insulation. I plan to seal these this year.

4. On the roof, the roof covering itself is still in great condition and other than some mildewing there's no sign of damage. However, the dicor sealant around some of the vent fans and other roof accessories (TV antenna) is noticeably cracking. I plan to re-seal these areas with Eternabond tape this year when I'm up there adding solar panels.

5. The remote control for the Lippert systems is basically useless. I've seen other comments in the forum about this. I've found I sometimes have to turn it on and off multiple times before the system will "see" its commands, and even then, holding the button down such as to extend the awning or a stab. jack is very wonky. (I have a brand new battery in it, too.) Unfortunately, I do have to use it because the rear stab. jack no longer works off its hard-wired switch. The switches on whatever Lippert model comes with this 2012 ST are junk, they aren't sealed. I've already bought new replacements and will be installing them this weekend (if the weather allows). Hopefully that'll eliminate the need for me to use the remote.

I don't know what they've done in the new 2020 model but a few general lifestyle things we've come up with. First, we LOVE the bunkhouse. We have 3 kids and the 3-bunk/1-table (convertible to bunk) is just an awesome layout for our family. When they're tired of us (or we're tired of them!) they can have a private room to themselves back there. Unfortunately, the door doesn't have any kind of doorstop in the 2012 model year. If they haven't fixed this, consider adding a magnetic doorstop. It'll save you some headaches.

Also, the pullout sofa in the 2012 model is actually very comfortable IMO, but one thing it lacks is cupholders. We got one of those cupholder inserts that has two prongs/legs that go between the seat cushions. That's working out great.

I would also definitely pick up some slide lube. Unless they've changed something in the 2020 year, I feel like the rails and motors on the 2012 model are a little underpowered. I'm sure they were fine the first few years, but now it extends/retracts only under protest (and sometimes a little tugging). I bet if the system had been maintained a little better it wouldn't be an issue right now.

Other than that we've been pretty pleased with it. We've taken multi-week trips with it, and we're going to do a 30-day PNW loop this summer if COVID restrictions get lifted. I definitely feel it's up to that kind of use. Happy to answer any questions if something comes up.
backcountrycamp is offline   Reply With Quote