Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Converter - Sunset trail

2017 Sunset Trail 290QB.
1st outing of the year. Every time I turn on a light the converter fan comes on and ramps up and down. The fan sounds like a bearing is going.
Bad battery or is it a converter problem?
Anyone know what brand/model converter Crossroads used?
paguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:21 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

My 2014 Sunset Trail 26RB has a WFCO WF-8965, not sure if this brand is used on newer models. I changed every incandescent bulb to led, never hear converter run anymore.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

It's not the normal fan sound. This sounds horrible. Like an airplane reving it's engine.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

It's probably a bearing or the fan blades hitting a piece of "something". You can try to get to the fan (never done it myself) and inspect/lube. The fan increasing in speed as you turn on more and more 12v items is normal. Loud noises is not. I agree LED's definitely cut back on the fan running.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Yeah, all my lights are already LED's.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Yea get to the fan and see what’s going on. Shouldn’t sound like a bearing.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:39 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paguy77 View Post
2017 Sunset Trail 290QB.
1st outing of the year. Every time I turn on a light the converter fan comes on and ramps up and down. The fan sounds like a bearing is going.
Bad battery or is it a converter problem?
Anyone know what brand/model converter Crossroads used?
Like Oliver, I have not heard my fan run at all since converting to LED, and LED uses 90% LESS Power; but it is temperature actuated and probably speeds up/ down w/ temperature; but you could also have dirt and or Nests in the fan? I would try for a visual inspection w/ flashlight and POWER UNPLUGGED. THEN CONVERT LIGHTING
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to Woody Send a message via MSN to Woody Send a message via Yahoo to Woody
I am also watching this thread for answers about converter, mine is 14 years old
and I assume it is on its way out, with only a couple of 12 volt lights on the converter speeds up and down and when a lot of 12 volt is used it speeds up
and runs fast steady----something new is going on.

2006 Cruiser CF29RE (sold)

1996 F350 PSD Dully (sold)

Honda 2000i (2)
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #9
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
It's probably a bearing or the fan blades hitting a piece of "something". You can try to get to the fan (never done it myself) and inspect/lube. The fan increasing in speed as you turn on more and more 12v items is normal. Loud noises is not. I agree LED's definitely cut back on the fan running.
totally agree
jacinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:41 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Most Crossroads RVs use the WFCO convertor. Like most convertors, when the convertor is working hard, the fan runs according to the load.
The fan is a muffin-type fan, like used in a desktop computer. They get noisy when they get dirty, and the bearings or bushings can go bad.
With a little research, you can find a generic replacement fan.
Personally, unless it's dirty, I think it's time for a convertor upgrade.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
Most Crossroads RVs use the WFCO convertor. Like most convertors, when the convertor is working hard, the fan runs according to the load.
The fan is a muffin-type fan, like used in a desktop computer. They get noisy when they get dirty, and the bearings or bushings can go bad.
With a little research, you can find a generic replacement fan.
Personally, unless it's dirty, I think it's time for a convertor upgrade.
Suspicion is new symptom would be related to battery aging/ battery charge, if charger clean and airflow not blocked.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I have a 2006 25’ Crossroads Cruiser 5th wheel. I have had it seven years and put in a new converter last fall. Two owners before me and I don’t know if they had problems with it or not. It just got continually worse. Fan came on if I turned on more than one light! I had an RV tech put in a new one and everything is great now. I will be putting in LED bulbs now which use a lot less current.
Bud1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

re: Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud1750 View Post
I have a 2006 25’ Crossroads Cruiser 5th wheel. I have had it seven years and put in a new converter last fall. Two owners before me and I don’t know if they had problems with it or not. It just got continually worse. Fan came on if I turned on more than one light! I had an RV tech put in a new one and everything is great now. I will be putting in LED bulbs now which use a lot less current.
LED Conversion, you will be amazed, with 90% reduction, your CONVERTER FAN may NEVER run again, unless battery starts to go bad, or gets badly discharged.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:44 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

2015 sunset trails reserve

I have my camper plugged in to 120vlt 30AMP receptable. I installed a new battery before I stored my camper. I went out to check on my camper and the microwave was the only thing working. I checked the new battery and it was dead (and camper was still plugged in to shore power). I charged the battery up with a battery charger, lights are working, AC thermostat reads temp and receptables work. Is it time for a new convertor or a new inverter? Which one does my camper have? thanks
Old 02-15-2023, 05:54 AM   #15
Site Team

So while in storage the camper was plugged in? You say that before you charged the battery you had no lights? First check your breakers for the one labeled converter and turn it off than back on. Disconnect the battery and check for lights. Also when you installed the new battery did you put the correct cables on the correct posts Black+ White- ? You may indeed have a dead converter but do a few checks first. There are 2 40 amp fuses in the power center that are for the battery check them also.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:00 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu View Post
I have my camper plugged in to 120vlt 30AMP receptable. I installed a new battery before I stored my camper. I went out to check on my camper and the microwave was the only thing working. I checked the new battery and it was dead (and camper was still plugged in to shore power). I charged the battery up with a battery charger, lights are working, AC thermostat reads temp and receptables work. Is it time for a new convertor or a new inverter? Which one does my camper have? thanks

How long are you storing your camper? If long term, I wouldn’t plug it in and I would also unhook battery or if you have a battery cutoff switch, switch it off. Check the breaker for the converter too. When the battery is low or when there is high demand for power, you will hear the fan on the converter. BTW, you have an converter which changes 120 volts to 12 volts. An inverter changes 12 volts to 120 and you need a good bank of batteries to run the plugs for any length of time.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:45 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

There are two 30a or 40a fuses for REVERSE POLARITY near fuse panel/ converter, but on Battery end of cable, within 18-inches of battery are also a 30a or 40a circuit breaker or fuse/ fusible link. Get a DC voltmeter and troubleshoot before spending money wildly that does not fix anything.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:38 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu View Post
Rather than hijack an old post, you should start your own post. You will get better responses.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:32 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
Rather than hijack an old post, you should start your own post. You will get better responses.

I really don't think that is an appropriate response to the question.
Maybe a PM would have been better??
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 03:28 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Sorry, I was having trouble finding the correct thread.