Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
Couple of questions

We have the trailer listed below and so far love it. I have found that no matter the make there are problem, just ask anyone in your park.

The few problems I have had are small and I could of fixed on my own but figure it is under warranty why not take it to the dealer.

Now that said, I have two small issues pop up this weekend, our porch light won't come on, maybe a bulb but can't get the cover off, any "how too"? Don't want it to the dealer 45 mins away for a bulb.

Next the light over the dining table won't come on, pulled the cover off and checked the leads (led strip), no power to it but also couldn't find any bad fuses. Could it be a bad strip of LEDs and will crossroads ship the replacement to my house or will I be forced to take it to a dealer? I would rather just replace it myself, as just two screws.

Lastly on the back wall of the TT in the bunk house, I would like to mount the spare TV, is it safe to transport it mounted that way? I was thinking the V mount like on the outside and just screw it down to the wall. What type of screws, how long is safe to use to put on the back wall?

A noob question, my thermostat says heat gas or electric, on gas it worked great and ran fine, but for giggles, I swapped over to electric heat and only cold air blew out. Went back to using the gas furnace and was worried about consumption but ran the heat for 3 days and it is still only using one bottle. Also cooked on it a bunch as well. How long do they last?
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I can't help you with most of your questions but I have some input into the TV situation.

The rear of the unit gets the most shaking. Friends of ours have a Jayco with a closet across the rear. Every time they arrive at their destination all their clothes are on the floor. People with rear kitchens complain that things in their cabinets get knocked about a lot. I would be afraid that a TV mounted to the rear wall would maybe shake the TV too much, and might also damage the wall where it is mounted.

Just my nickel's worth. (We Canadians no longer do pennies!)

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

For the outside light , if it is oval,take a knife from the cutlery drawer and pry up from the bottom of the orange lens a bit to take lens off.
For the TV. measure the thickness of the wall next to the entry door when opened . That will give you an idea of wall thickness. make sure the screws are shorter than wall and bracket together. You are aluminum framed so it will be tricky to find stud, but when you find it ,put an eyebolt above the Tv and below it to attach a bungee cord or strap to hold TV in place (or take TV down and lay on bed for travel.)
For thermostat. The elec switch may be for a furnace that has an electric option . mine does not but have seen them.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We do a lot of cold weather camping. If you are someplace with shore power your best bet for heat is a $45 ceramic tower heater. We have a Sunset Trail 33BD and it heats the entire unit just fine. I also have heated tanks so I don't have to worry about keeping heat blown in the belly.

Before we started using the electric heater, we were able to go an entire season with two bottles of gas. I suppose it depends on how high you keep the thermostat set and how long the unit runs.

I have the same thermostat that has the dual fuel control for the furnace, but our furnace is only gas so switching it to electric doesn't do anything. It is nice to know it is already wired if we decide to swap out furnaces in the future.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

x3 on the TV.

We have a rear bunkhouse with a TV on a stand. If wall mounted, I would definitely remove it before travel. Just set it on the bed in the front (screen up). Our swivel-mount TV was fine, and the bunkhouse TV stayed comfortably in place laying on the front bed.

Sidebar - Have I lost my mind having 2 TV's in a camper?!
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

If you feel you have lost your mind having 2 TVs in your rig, you have company in the asylum. Welcome!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

We use the foam packing rectangles, that fit on the edge of the TV when inside the original packing box. Mounted on the wall, the TV can wiggle and swivel. Placing the packing rectangles on the left and right edges of the TV wedges it immobile against the wall. While camping, we store them above the valences above the windows.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:12 AM   #8
Ken
Weekend Camper

To answer your heater question yes you have electric heat. It took me almost the full winter to figure it out. Here is what we do we point the roof vents away from were we will be (the bed or couch). The roof vent will turn on when using the electric heat but what is doing is circulating the air in the trailer the electric heat will come out of the floor vents just like when using the gas. Electric heat works great I haven't filled my propane tanks in almost 2 years and we camp a lot in the winter
Ken

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:18 AM   #9
Ken
Weekend Camper

One more thing it takes a good 5 minutes or longer for the heat to start coming from the floor vents when you turn the heat on electric but the roof air starts right away. No where did it say I had electric heat in my paper work but I do and I camp when it's in the 30's at night and the heater works just as good as gas.

Ken
Tyler, Texas
2014 Zinger ZT31SB
2012 Dodge Cummins Diesel 3500 SRW
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Awesome, Thanks for the information, makes me very excited!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Sent Christian a PM about the lights, hopefully he will get back to me, would rather replace them at my house instead of the dealer. She is up for the winter but will test the electric heater this spring.