Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2022, 06:58 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Door Issue

Looking for advice on a door problem with 2018 sunset trail 222rb.
My entry door is out of square and the bottom corner of the handle side of the door is binding at the frame.
Does anyone know how I can “pull” the door towards the hinge side to eliminate this issue.
It does close but you have to slam it to get it to close
Any advice is appreciated
Dlowfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:27 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm not saying this is your problem, but, in many instances the trailer is not setting level when that problem occurs..
That can cause the frame to twist, which will a lot of times result in the door not wanting to close.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Lloyd thanks for the response. I agree with you 100% unfortunately that isn’t the case here. However you got me to be thinking, if out of level will cause the door to rack maybe I can intentionally put my trailer out of level and force the door to operate as it should. Hmmm
Old 07-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

As hinges wear on any door, they usually sink a bit. With the door in numerous degrees of open, lift upwards and determine if you have excess motion. If so, this can be caused by wear on the vertical bearing surfaces. Any chance new hinges? Other is pin wear that allows door to rotate away from top hinge and into lower hinge. Same suggestion. Unless you can determine
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:17 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have 4 kids, the door on my 17 289QB is often 'out of adjustment' as it sees a TON of traffic. I assume the wind catches it, or the kids close it on something... The aluminum frame and hinges are easy to bend out of alignment. If I know the trailer is level and not the issue - I use a 2x4 to adjust it back - sound crude but it works good without marring the door/frame. I use it as a lever between the frame and door to put pressure toward the hinges - easy and it works.
Also the bottom part of the door is often bent in (so it contacts the frame before the latch area) from kids pushing it closed from the bottom of the door. So I put the 2x4 between the frame and lower part of the door while I push the top of the door toward the trailer - this gets the door closer to flat again. Closes much better after an adjustment... I usually have to adjust the door 1-2 times a summer.

2017 Sunset Trail Superlite 289QB
2016 Escalade

Custom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:19 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Do you have those friction Hinges? I had a similar issue where one of the hinges was almost frozen.. instead of closing, the hinge would push on the frame causing the door to rub the opposite side.
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:24 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I also had an issue with the friction hinges where they ended up snapping the cheap alum screws on the door frame allowing the frame to be bent when the door closed.
I put some beefy screws in the door and that helped as well.
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:12 AM   #8
New Camper

I had a similar problem with the door on my 2018 Grand Reserve. It would close, but had to be slammed. After analyzing the whole construction, I first tightened all hinge screws on the door frame and where they attached to the door. Some were a little loose. I also put some dry lube on all the hinge internals. Worked the door back and forth and it began to loosen up. Lastly, I checked all the door frame screws to make sure they were snug. Again, I found a few loose. I confirmed my latches were still aligned and had to make some minor adjustments. This fixed my problem and I have not had any issues in two years. The door now shut very easily.
Photoguy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:29 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks for sharing your fix, I will do those exact things and hopefully will have the same results. Thanks for taking the time to reply

Dave
Old 12-04-2022, 09:58 PM   #10
New Camper

I think it's better to replace the door hinges with new ones because the strength of the hinges cannot withstand the door load and just because of that it shows a slight gap between the door and the rack.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:35 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Update: Door Issue

I wanted to update my original post re door not closing easily and having to be slammed to close.
My door continued to be harder and harder to close. Yes it has friction hinges.

I lubricated my hinges with silicone spray and worked it into the hinges and now my door closes fabulously. After a few weeks I noticed it was getting slightly harder to close so I relubricated it and again it closes perfectly.

Curiously, one of my friends was having the same problem on his Open Range 5er and the hinge lubrication resolved his problem too.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:09 PM   #12
Site Team

Glad you found a inexpensive solution. Thanks for letting us know.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote