Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

door not quite locking

I've had a couple experiences where the trailer door came open while driving. I thought I must have forgotten to lock it, but on closer examination, it appears that the deadbolt doesn't fully extend into the door frame, so it doesn't click into the fully locked position like it does when you do it with the door open. Any body had this happen, or better yet, have a fix for it?
pschaafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Couple things---
Does the bolt drag/rub on the plate?
Have they got the hole in the door jam deep enough so the bolt is able to extend fully?
When you extend the dead bolt with the door closed, does it seem to travel as far as when the is open?
Sounds to me like maybe it's not extending fully and is able to vibrate back.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

No dragging or rubbing. The bolt won't go all the way in to the bolt hole, only extends fully with the door open. Sounds like we have a trip to the dealer coming up.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Our 2013 ST has the same issue. The deadbolt doesn't line up correctly with the hole in the frame. Asked the dealer to correct it under warranty and they ground down the deadbolt some. Still had the problem, so I tried to file away some of the frame around the edge of the hole. Still only locks completely about 50% of the time. Must have the trailer perfectly level, or just right, in order to get it locked. PIA.
https://www.treehousewellness.com/Pho...amper/F150.jpg
mikenannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Mine had the same problem . Culprit is the alum frame and fiberglass/luanne siding in the wall that you can see when you you look inside the striker plate hole that the deadbolts goes into. Put grease on end of deadbolt and try to lock it with door closed. This grease will transfer onto alum frame area that you have to drill out to allow the deadolt to fully engage ....easy fix.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I had similar problem

I had a similar problem that I finally fixed. If it is the same issue here is what I did.
The door itself was a bit cupped. That is the top and bottom of the door would close to the jam before the center would. Kinda hard to just explain but try this. As you slowly close the door, see when the gap just closes on the top and bottom of the latch side. Is there more of a gap in the center? If there is, take a small 2 x 4 or similar pc of lumber, with a helper hold one pc at the top, and one at the bottom of the door as you close it. Then put gentle pressure as if you are closing the door right in the center, at the latch. This will help to straighten the door and it will close evenly now. It may take a couple light adjustments but the door will adjust. Remember, I said light adjustments.

I hope this is the issue and I hope it helps. My door now closes and latches very smoothly.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Team

There was no place for my deadbolt to go into the aluminum frame. I could turn the key about 45° to the left. The deadbolt would go into the striker plate, but not into the wall. I marked where it goes, drilled a hole and filed it square. Now I can turn the deadbolt until it clicks in place.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info. I spenty some time with it today and managed to get it working well enough to satisfy me (today anyway) and declared victory. I found that I had a conflict with the trailer body inside the jam, and had to make a little slot there to accept the deadbolt. However, I also had to file down the inside of the deadbolt so it would get past the aluminum frame post of the doorway, which I didn't want to cut into. From what I can see, the deadbolt is just too long in this application.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschaafs View Post
I've had a couple experiences where the trailer door came open while driving. I thought I must have forgotten to lock it, but on closer examination, it appears that the deadbolt doesn't fully extend into the door frame, so it doesn't click into the fully locked position like it does when you do it with the door open. Any body had this happen, or better yet, have a fix for it?
Independent of the deadbolt issue, it is always a good idea to fold the outside grab handle over the door rather than away from the door. On some models that is the only way it will fold due to other issues. Anyway, this measure will keep an open door from further damage while driving.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
Independent of the deadbolt issue, it is always a good idea to fold the outside grab handle over the door rather than away from the door. On some models that is the only way it will fold due to other issues. Anyway, this measure will keep an open door from further damage while driving.
I have to agree with Larry. Assumeing your unit has a grab bar, you need to fold it over the door when traveling...That being said it is still good that you got your dead bolt fixed..
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote