Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
Raz
New Camper

Experience with Crossroads 254RB?

Looking at a new 254RB. Anyone with experience with one of these units, would be interested in your review. Thanks.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

After looking and researching for about 4 months we decided on a new 2017 SS254RB from a really good dealer only 10 mile from us. What really sold us on it was the layout and "tasteful" decor. So many other units looked terrible and were awkward in their layout. This unit is spacious with the 12 ft. slideout, full size queen bed, perfect size bathroom, and kitchen storage. I could have spent more money on other brands like Arctic Fox or Lance but I felt that the CR model was real quality for the price. I'm real happy with our unit! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MoTreker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
Raz
New Camper

Hi Mo! Thanks for the info. How long have you had yours? How does it pull? I can see you're pulling with a 3/4 ton diesel. I'm going to pull with a '14 Tundra Crewmax 4x4. Any thoughts on that? I've got plenty of towing capacity, but this whole tt experience is new for me. Learning a lot.

Raz
Old 08-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I've owned mine since the spring - used it three times so far. We had friends join us on one trip and they slept great on the pullout couch/bed. Four adults were real comfortable in it. The dealer included an EZ 10,000lb WD hitch and it really handles fine - don't really know it's behind me sometimes. That Tundra would do great too. Like many on the forum have stated, there are things that come and need attention on any unit - if you are a little handy and mechanical (YouTube helps)you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MoTreker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:08 AM   #5
Raz
New Camper

Thanks again. I've gotten some negative feedback on Crossroads, and we like the entire line a lot (aesthetically, I guess). It's good to hear from someone who has one and is happy with their choice. I appreciate it.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum Raz. Good luck with the decision. As stated any unit can need attention at times but I still think Crossroads is a good unit and we've owned 4 Jayco's, a Coachman and Two Crossroads. A good WD hitch does makes the difference when pulling.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Raz, no matter which brand/model you look at you will find negative information about. Anyone with a problem these days immediately looks to the 'net for answers, information, and a place to vent/rant etc. The forums will often also have folks who like what they have, but they generally don't write threads extolling the positives, but they discuss their mods and fixes and problems etc. You will find threads from people considering a specific brand or model and in the responses you will also read both positive and negative experiences. This is just normal behaviour.

Even on rigs costing north of $75k, $100k etc. you will find the same or similar issues. A lot of it comes down to expectations. Set them properly and you will usually be better off than the average person! You are buying a lightweight 'home' that bounces down the road at 60+mph. It is built and put together by people usually being paid on a piece rate, emphasis on quantity not quality. At the end of the day you need to perform a really good inspection PRIOR to handing over money. Even then you will still miss stuff (our black tank sensors for 1/3 worked but 2/3 & full did not - found out the hard way). So it's better to find a dealer that you're more comfortable with than one just willing to sell you at the lowest price. And then you need to be prepared to fix the stuff that will need fixing, maintain the stuff that needs attention, and to generally be handy during both home time and travel time.

Yes you may have more or worse issues than others, but you may also have less. I have a 2012 that I bought Aug 2011. I have 5 kids and a dog, and often my parents that also join us. We don't F/T, we don't travel coast to coast. We do camp a couple of weeks each year and 5-10 weekends. We have towed it around 9k miles. It is not babied and it sits on my driveway though somewhat harsh north east Ohio winters from November to April. This year I replaced the OEM tyres and also had it leak tested. ZERO leaks. This surprised the tech so much he re-ran the test at a higher pressure. ZERO leaks still. Has it been perfect, no. Have I had to fix stuff, yes. I bought Crossroads because in my research I felt it was one of the better brands and they had a model/floorplan I really liked. It's now a more common layout, but I'd still take it over many other brands. I would consider a couple of other options if I was buying now, as I believe there are some 'better' offerings. But they're also higher priced, and they're still not without issues, and their forums are like every other with people's problems etc.
Prev.: '05 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
CenterLine HD (original)
1 wife, 5 kids, 1 rescue lab-mix
FezUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Agree

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Raz, we have a 2015 250 rear bath and like the layout. We tow it with a 2013 Tundra and it pulls just fine. Just don't skimp on the weight distribution system. After reading about tires on this site, see if you can get a tire upgrade. Good luck to you.
2013 Toyota Tundra Double Cab V8 5.7 Ltr Limited
cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote