Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Faded front cap

Hello,

I have a 2014 st290 QB and over the past few months have noticed the front cap fading. I know this is a fairly common problem especially with the darker front caps, but was wondering how many 2014 superlites have had this issue. I have already consulted with the warranty department and they said that they will not cover it because it is outside it's one year warranty. If this is a known issue and enough people complain about it, maybe something will get done?
mbohnert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

It is a known issue and has been covered past the warranty period many times. What Crossroads told me is that the formulation of the gel coat did not include an appropriate amount of UV Protectant. Skip the first line customer service folks for their knee jerk reaction is to say no. They paid for repair on mine right at the 20 month mark. Reach out to Mike Antal and/or Andy Cripe directly.
Good luck
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks so much for your reply! This is exactly what I was looking for!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

You are welcome. My cap was painted the spring of this year. The shop used automotive Basecoat/clear coat paint as opposed to gel coat and it looks fantastic.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
New Camper

I was wondering if any of the fading has occurred on the trailers that don't have the caps. My trailer is dark brown in front with what I assume is fiber glass with a decal on it. Is this "gel coat" just applied to the caps?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

I did a bunch of research when my cap started to fade and the only thing I recall seeing was an issue with the front caps across a number of brands. I don't recall seeing discussions about fading elsewhere on the RV. I suppose the gel coat supplier sold defective formulation to many manufacturers. The rounded cap does get the most exposure to the UV rays from the sun- more than the flat side and back.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Drawing from my past experience of working in a boat factory, I will tell you what I know about gel coat.

First, there is a "mold" for everything fiberglass that I'm aware of.
They wax that mold inside so the part doesn't stick to it when they remove it.
Then the part we see. Like your front cap is sprayed into the mold. It's referred to as gel coat. They can put any color they want or need into the gel coat. In the instances of the fading front cap, it was a brownish pigment that was added. After that dries they will add the fiber glass cloth and then depending on what is needed for strength, they will spray in the fiberglass matte. When everything has went thru the curing process and time, it's popped out of the mold and the process starts all over again.

I hope the process now is the same as it was back when I worked in it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naps View Post
I was wondering if any of the fading has occurred on the trailers that don't have the caps. My trailer is dark brown in front with what I assume is fiber glass with a decal on it. Is this "gel coat" just applied to the caps?
You have the same front cap that I have. They are able to sand down the gelcoat to the color and repaint it from that level. There is also a additive that they can put into the paint to give it some flexibility.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Fading

I have a 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32FR that we bought in July of 13. Beautiful unit. I take very good care of it. Wash, wax etc. I just noticed the cap starting to fade. I have a friend w same unit but a 2013. Fortunately for him his started to fade while still under the 1 YEAR Warranty. Bad for us as Crossroads is saying (Mike Antal) that they cant help outside the warranty. This is unacceptable for a flaw that is beyond the customers control. Crossroads should accept responsibility for this issue and they arent. I will make sure to tell everyone I meet at campgrounds NOT TO BUY CROSSROADS as they dont back their products.
Stephenm781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:14 PM   #10
Gone Traveling

Do not quit and take no for an answer. They HAVE fixed this issue past the 12 month mark. I was one they did it for. Reach out to Andy Cripe the CEO.

If your are still unsatisfied reach out to Trailer Life Magazine who has helped folks in the past. They have a whole column devoted to helping folks rectify problems.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thank you very much for your feedback. If we stick together it makes things easier. I emailed Andy Cripe earlier. I will keep you updated. Its very unfair that consumers are expected to shoulder the costs caused by a product/procedure defect. Thanks Again
Old 09-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Faded Front Cap

I have recently spoke with Mike Antal myself and I explained the entire situation to him. He even agreed with me and still says that they can't participate in the repair. Problem is I still very much like the camper but this is some horrible customer service. I'm getting quotes right now of around $1300 to have it repainted. Not sure what else to do or who to talk to, Mike is apparently one of the top people in customer service.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

No problem. I have emailed andy the same time I email Mike and never heard from him. Good luck
Old 09-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Mike told me the same. I told him that I am not done and asked where else could I go. His reply was "i am it" I found the CEOs email and sent him and email this afternoon. I am awaiting a reply. I got another reply through this forum saying to contact the Magazine Trailer Life that they have a means of following defective products. That is my next step.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #15
Site Team

This is an alternative you can do yourself. Never had to use it but heard good things about it. Products To Restore and Protect Oxidized Surfaces

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:48 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Can you send me his email. I will send him my problem as well. Might give the situation more kick.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #17
Gone Traveling

From my latest trailer life magazine regarding RV Resolutions:

"...please send a typed letter to Trailer Life RV Resolutions,2750 Park View Court,Suite 240,Oxnard,California 93036. Include copies of appropriate bills and correspondence as wel as a self addressed stamped envelope."
Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Ok thanks. I may try that
Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
This is an alternative you can do yourself. Never had to use it but heard good things about it. Products To Restore and Protect Oxidized Surfaces
Thanks for the reply. It looks like an alternative to try short of putting it
In to be painted. I am sincerely hoping that the CEO has it in him to right this wrong. If not, I plan on a major negative campaign against Crossroads. I am not afraid of
Making some noise.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Thanks again. I will try anything to expose this travesty.