Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Did the Wash and Wax on the

Trailer a couple of weeks ago and found a couple of warranty issues I

probable wouldn't have found if I hadn't been up high looking over

the trailer!
Hosed off the roof and found that water pools

dramatically on our slide topper. Now I know they are to keep debris

out but they should also let water run off as well right?????? Anyway

because it is about 12 feet long the only way to get the water off

was to retract the slide and then let it out again and we certainly

don't want to have to be doing that in a rainstorm.

The big

one was noticed the Dicor was pulling back from the front fiberglass

cap on the top and sides of the seam leaving a nice 1/4 inch gap for

water to get in!! Glad it's been so dry up here as it hasn't been an

issue. But really glad I noticed it.

Anyway spoke to the

dealer and left them with a list of a few other things we wanted them

to look at, such as furnace still smelling and soft spots in the

shower floor (poor support) and he said they would take a look. Told

me that the fiberglass caps were attached with self tapping screws

and a lot of times they work themselves loose because they were not

drilled first causing the cap to separate from the front of the

trailer !!!!
I says pardon, and he says ya it happens and they

just remove the old screws and drill holes and install new ones not a

big deal!!!!!! Well maybe not to him but.......anyway said they can

fix it so I will just wait and see.
As for the slide awning he

said they can probable tension it up a bit and that should fix

it......
Anyway thought I would share in case anyone else cares to look at the front seal of the Big Brown Cap on their Sunset Trail Reserve.Now

to see how the warranty work goes????

Home is where the hookup is.
2012 ST25RB Reserve tailgating a 2011 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Roadie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have seen others mention water pooling on slide toppers and that they fix it by putting a large inflated beach ball under it creating an arch for the water to run off. Whenever you have a long flat surface, water will tend to pool in the weakest spot (the middle) so by creating the arch you prevent the problem. We don't have slide toppers but I have seen this fix mentioned so I thought I would pass it on.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Dealer said they may be able to increase the tension a bit but I"m not

holding my breath. Thought a cover with enough

angle would let rain run off like a tarp but shows how much I know

Actually just got a reply much the same on another forum and they suggested a boat fender, tie point at both ends to pull it out and big enough to work. I had thought about the beach ball but was wondering how to easily get it out.

Besides everyone has a few boat fenders from the yacht kicking around don't they?

Edited by: Roadie66

Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

My slide topper also pools water. I don't worry about it much.

2013 Sunset Trail 30RK

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps1d70353a.jpg
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I was just up on the roof of my Sunset Trails 30RE and didn't notice any evidence of theroof covering pulling away from the front cap. What I did notice was there was a place on the roofabove the awning that concerns me. There isa narrowband of rubber material that goes all theway around the edge of the roof that seems toseal the roof the the camper. I noticed a 2" long section where that rubber bandhas become separated from the roof. It may be very minor but Iam concerned that water might seep in through there eventually. I alreay have a date scheduled for some warranty service next monthand I'll get them to checkout theroof then.
The original issues thatI am taking the camper in for are:

Water pump failed and was replaced under warranty (by another dealer) but the supply hose was not routed correctly causing a kink that restricted water flow.

Slides on the top kitchen drawer are falling apart.

Black water drain valve appears to be leaking, when the cap is removed from the end of the sewer drain pipe, about a quart of sewage falls out on the ground (and all over my hands).

This is a 2013 model that I purchased back near the end of this past May so I was a bit dissapointed to find anything major so soon like the sewer valve leaking. Hopefully my local dealer will be able to get this all resolved quickly but I'd like to hear if anyone else has run into these same issues?

https://i819.photobucket.com/albums/z...ailsCamper.jpghttps://ptarthur.com/Sunsettrailscamper.jpg
ptarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

ptarther as long as your dicor sealant is still attached to the front cap you shouldn't have any issues! At least with that part of the roof I'll be sure to take a look at mine in the spot you mentioned.

So far no issues with the water pump but we haven't used it all that much and both grey and black valves seem to seal tightly. I always make sure to have a bucket under the cap when I first open it and I lift it from the bottom up just in case! (used to drive fuel truck so it's habit)

The issues we had so far were:

Slide topper but that was dealer installed and now I am learning I was expecting to much
Dicor sealant pulling away from front cap
Screw missing in dinette window
Convenience center cracked at bottom right (someone overtightened the screw)
Stove hood light not working
Furnace still smells even after running it for awhile to burn it in
So called "stainless steel" sink is rusting
Shower floor is soft in spots, poor supports underneath (had a look)
No sealant around shower taps
Converter comes on when you turn on the bathroom light

So I do have some issues but not to bad. Glad I got mine before the 2 year warranty was changed! As well I bought a 5 year extended toungue to bumper so I hope to be OK.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

What did they charge you for the extended warranty? They wanted near $2,000.00 for ours. I thought that was a bit much, and decided to keep that money in my bank instead of theirs. If & when the time comes, I can use it for the repairs at that time. Most repairs on previous trailers, I've found I can handle myself, especially if I have to drive nearly 100 km's (60 miles) each way, to drop off trailer, then have to wait 3-4 weeks to go pick it up again. Hopefully any future repairs will be minor & not of the "slide" type. I cringe every time I open or close slide after reading all the posts. "Knock on wood", haven't had any issues yet, & we've opened ours quite a few times already.Our dealer servicetechtold me they themselvesreplaced slide motors on all late 2011 & up Sunset Trail models (our 2012 model specifically) after they were shipped from Crossroads......on Crossroads directive! Apparently original motors were too small, or windings inside were too small & burnt out under load after several uses. Hopefully that solved any future issues.

Take care, many happy future trails ahead to all!
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

We too had the Dicor pull away a bit from one corner of the cap...no leaks as I noticed it before it rained. 5 minute fix in my driveway.
The converter will kick in when there is 12 volt demand, we installed a second battery and it now takes alot of lights to get the converter to run.
I' ve never had an RV that isn't soft on the shower/tub floor. A can of expanding foam from Home Depot has always been my fix, some say don't use expanding foam but it has worked for me.
I think you have figured out the slide topper issue, some like them and some don't for the reason you mentioned (and flapping in the wind).

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Hey folks thanks for the tips!!!!
I suggested fixing some of the issues but the DW said that's what the warranty is for so let them take care of it! Right now I don't mind as we were getting ready to put it away for the winter anyway And besides the dealer is between our storage place and the highway so no real out of the way trips.

Tonemeister you are close to the figure for the extended but the slide out issue worried me!!!!! As well as the other big money issues I have read about and the fact that everything on the reserve edition is power!
As this is our first rig I wanted to be sure we could enjoy it without worry and possible learn a few things along the way for the next upgrade. We went into this having very little first hand experience with RV's and are learning fast!!!!!

Edited by: Roadie66

Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Well here's an update on the warranty repairs almost 2 months later. Can' t fault the dealer as most of the time was waiting for parts but after all was said and done the warranty work was done.
They fixed the problem with the front cap having to remove and replace all the attachment screws as the heads were breaking off. Replaced the broken convenience centre and the kitchen sink ( those were the parts that took so Long). Put a bunch more supports under the shower and re-caulked the faucet so now it feels like a solid shower now. Wound the slide topper up a couple of more turns but as I have learned I will be surprised if it does not pool water. Furnace smells a little better now so I guess I was just not patient enough . Anyway they took care of everything on the list so call me impressed!
Big thanks to Bob and the boys at CanDan Rv!!!!!!!!

She is tucked away safe and sound in the barn for the winter now......problem was towing her there made me want to go camping

Spring can' t come soon enough!!!!Edited by: Roadie66