Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #41
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparkcamper View Post
I didn't see anything either. I've always done it at the end of the season with all of the other trailers I've owned through the years.
I don't understand. I had a 2013 ST25RB w/ 3500 lb axles and had zero trouble. I made certain of my TT weight. The safety factor is greater w/ a heavier axle, but unless you're hauling rocks, you should be just fine.

Are you certain you were not overloaded? If so, it sounds like you had a different problem than axle failure due to a capacity issue.
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #42
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy666 View Post
I don't understand. I had a 2013 ST25RB w/ 3500 lb axles and had zero trouble. I made certain of my TT weight. The safety factor is greater w/ a heavier axle, but unless you're hauling rocks, you should be just fine.

Are you certain you were not overloaded? If so, it sounds like you had a different problem than axle failure due to a capacity issue.
Definitely not overloaded. Almost all of my cabinets are empty. It's only my wife and myself mostly doing weekend trips. Not much food or clothing. I empty all of my tanks before leaving the campgrounds. Check truck and trailer tire pressure before every trip.
This is the 4th camper I've owned. Been camping over 35 years so I think I know how to pack. I can't believe it either. Crossroads is finally starting to work with me. Apparently I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I spoke with at least 5 different mechanics and showed them my tires wear pattern. Every one of them said the rear axle looked overloaded. I took it to a public scale. It weighed just over 6000 lbs. The problem most likely lays with the lippert axles. From what I've been reading they don't make the best products. But I also don't blindly believe everything I read.
I can't say enough for Fretz RV. They are doing everything they can to help me. Even with my problems I still love that trailer.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #43
Site Team

Walt, nice post.
Wishing you the best getting it resolved.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #44
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Definitely not overloaded. Almost all of my cabinets are empty. It's only my wife and myself mostly doing weekend trips. Not much food or clothing. I empty all of my tanks before leaving the campgrounds. Check truck and trailer tire pressure before every trip.
This is the 4th camper I've owned. Been camping over 35 years so I think I know how to pack. I can't believe it either. Crossroads is finally starting to work with me. Apparently I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I spoke with at least 5 different mechanics and showed them my tires wear pattern. Every one of them said the rear axle looked overloaded. I took it to a public scale. It weighed just over 6000 lbs. The problem most likely lays with the lippert axles. From what I've been reading they don't make the best products. But I also don't blindly believe everything I read.
I can't say enough for Fretz RV. They are doing everything they can to help me. Even with my problems I still love that trailer.

I know what you mean about the trailer. We traded in our 25RB ~1month ago for a 32RL. Don't get me wrong, the 32RL is very nice...but I sure do miss that outdoor kitchen you have.
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #45
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy666 View Post
I know what you mean about the trailer. We traded in our 25RB ~1month ago for a 32RL. Don't get me wrong, the 32RL is very nice...but I sure do miss that outdoor kitchen you have.
That's why I bought it. In 35 years I might have cooked inside maybe 10 times. I made a slideout 2 burner stove and installed it in drawer under outside fridge. Now I have a stove and a grill outside. Oh yea, the fireplace is great also. I thought it was a little over the top when I was looking at the camper to buy. But I love that thing.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #46
Weekend Camper

Perhaps a good case for extended warranty. I had to replace undersized axles on a Trail Cruiser (bent spindles) a few years back and my extended warranty covered them.
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #47
Full Time Camper

Quote:
That's why I bought it. In 35 years I might have cooked inside maybe 10 times. I made a slideout 2 burner stove and installed it in drawer under outside fridge. Now I have a stove and a grill outside. Oh yea, the fireplace is great also. I thought it was a little over the top when I was looking at the camper to buy. But I love that thing.
I feel the same way. Can you post a pic of your stove and how you mounted it? I have been wanting to do that.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #48
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I feel the same way. Can you post a pic of your stove and how you mounted it? I have been wanting to do that.
I'll post it after they fix it. Here's how I did it. I moved the fold down door that's under the fridge to the left closer to the center. The wood face on the front of the cabinet is only held on by staples. Just use a rubber mallet to carefully tap it loose. I completely removed the small piece of paneling on the far right. I now use the cavity to store my longer kitchen utensils. I used a few pieces of wood from an old chest I had to make a box to hold the stove and glued and screwed other pieces against the back wall to support the sliding drawer brackets. ( I wanted to use a hard wood. That's why I picked the old chest). I bought the smallest 2 burner stove I could find. I believe it's from suburban. I drilled up from underneath. I put a "T" on the gas line at grill hook up. I installed a flexible line from the t up to the stove. Set the stove in the box (drawer) I made checked all connections. Made sure the hose would slide freely and I was done. It's very tight so make the box as small as possible and constantly check your measurements. You can't put side shields on the stove but I found that a piece of foil placed along the edge works fine. I wish it was an option before purchase. It would've looked a lot nicer. Mine still looks good but not as good as the stoves I've seen that were original equipment.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #49
Weekend Camper

Quote:
I'll post it after they fix it. Here's how I did it. I moved the fold down door that's under the fridge to the left closer to the center. The wood face on the front of the cabinet is only held on by staples. Just use a rubber mallet to carefully tap it loose. I completely removed the small piece of paneling on the far right. I now use the cavity to store my longer kitchen utensils. I used a few pieces of wood from an old chest I had to make a box to hold the stove and glued and screwed other pieces against the back wall to support the sliding drawer brackets. ( I wanted to use a hard wood. That's why I picked the old chest). I bought the smallest 2 burner stove I could find. I believe it's from suburban. I drilled up from underneath. I put a "T" on the gas line at grill hook up. I installed a flexible line from the t up to the stove. Set the stove in the box (drawer) I made checked all connections. Made sure the hose would slide freely and I was done. It's very tight so make the box as small as possible and constantly check your measurements. You can't put side shields on the stove but I found that a piece of foil placed along the edge works fine. I wish it was an option before purchase. It would've looked a lot nicer. Mine still looks good but not as good as the stoves I've seen that were original equipment.
Make sure you use heavy duty drawer slides that are long enough to push the stove away from the counter.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #50
Site Team

This is all good info, but it's getting away from the flat axle theme of this thread.
It belongs in the mod forum.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #51
Weekend Camper

Just to add to other peoples comments.
2013 26BH, less than 5k on the road and noticed the back left wheel had some bad negative camber and was wearing unevenly.
The rear right also had bad camber, but was not worn as much as the left.

Dealer replaced the axles with 5400lbs replacements.
wikdslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #52
Family Vacation Member

I am also experiencing axles issues. I have a GVWR of 7738lbs and 3500# axles on the trailer. 26BH SS 2013. I do not understand this logic either that you can subtract hitchweight from the equation to say that 3500# axles are sufficient. There is no way I have a 800lb hitch weight on this rig, and there is zero safety factor engineered into this @ 3500#.
Trailer is in the axle shop now getting my axles re aligned as my tires are wearing on the inside. Mainly the driverside rear. Axles shop says these axles are not the correct rating for this trailer and reccomends going to 5000# minimum . Makes sense to me, but does it to CR? I have a call into customer service to see what/if anything they will do for me. At this stage I am out $300 for a re alignment, and another $500 for new tires.
And NO i am not over loaded. I travel light and never haul water, either fresh or grey always dump before travelling.

Kagex is offline   Reply With Quote