Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Furnace won't ignite

We are trying to turn furnace on & it won't ignite. Brand new camper never used. Would camper not setting level effect the ignite of furnace? Worked at home sitting in driveway. Now at camp ground & won't ignite. Any suggestions ?
C.nack72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Is the battery working? The furnace needs power from the battery to ignite. Is there propane in the tanks? Is the setting on the thermostat correct?

That's all I can think of. Others may have other ideas.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

All is good we are plugged in to shore power. Just switched to full propane tank. I have electric heater but it is going to get down into 30's tonite. With freeze warning.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you have an electric blanket, I would go with that until you get the problem fixed.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Did you turn on your stove top first to bleed the line. For some reason my dealer told me this is important. That would also leave out that the gas is working.

John and Julie
Dubois, PA
2015 Zinger ZT31SB- 2008 Toyota Tundra
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
Site Team

What johnwill said. VERY important. Leave stove burn for about 5 minutes.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

When you turn thermostat on and you set temp higher than the room is, does the blower start? It should. Then if yo listen closely you should hear the igniter sparking. Is that what's happening?
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Turn stove on & let it run minute or two. Turn heat on & can not hear ignite.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

OK , stove says you have propane. Now next question. Did you flip thermostat switch on? It can be difficult. When you do and setting is high, you should hear blower motor run before any ignition happens. Did the blower start?
Dalzell SC
Old 10-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Go to our Document section. There is a troubleshooting manual for the furnace. Download the file. That may help you.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

As soon as I turn on heat / blower kicks on but can not hear ignition. Started up fine in driveway. Could it be a piece if Debry ? from being new. ?
Old 10-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

OK, good. Blower operation tells us you have control voltage, and the system is responding to your request for heat. We also know there is propane in the pipes. The next logical step is the spark, which according to your posts, sounds like is not working. That spark, and a response by a heat sensor of flame operating, allow the gas valve to open all the way and stay open. At this point it would be good to take the cover off of the heater, and look inside for debris, such as wasp nest/tubes, right around the propane tubing and sparker. After clearing any debris, have one person watching inside, while the other turns the thermostat back on. See if you can see sparking.
While there, of course, look for loose or disconnected wires.
No debris, and no spark, would indicate a failed furnace. Refer to owners manual. (the one for the heater, not for the trailer)
Dalzell SC
Old 10-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

That is a classic sign of a failed sail switch. It is an odd device with a long metal tail. As Marty said above, look for debris or bugs or even spiders that keep the small switch from operating. If no obstructions, check the switch for continuity. The switch closes on air flow and allows the igniter to operate. Do a search on sail switch - there are many great resources out there. The good thing is that the switch is inexpensive and easy to replace. The bad part is that the furnace can be a PITA to remove.
Here is a video on how to test the switch. The switch in the video is a vacuum device rather than one with a tail that is moved by air flow, but the testing method is the same.https://youtu.be/3qt8Y33fKls
Here is a link to switches on ebay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sail-switch I bought mine at a local dealer for just about the same price, and did not have to wait for delivery. While your furnace is out, take some aluminum tape and seal up all the loose knockouts and connections for improved heated air flow.
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Here's one more thing you can try, IF you have a good view of the starter. While it is trying to start, try manually lighting it with a butane fire stick, like you would an oven. If it starts, let it run 2 or 3 minutes to clear any debris, the turn thermostat off and let flame cut off. In two minutes or so blower will cut off. Then turn thermostat back on and see if it fires up. If it lights manually, but not electrically, you have a failed sparker. If it does not light up manually, you have a failed gas solenoid valve. Check wires and/or give it a gentle tap, a sharp tap, like with the handle of a screwdriver.
Dalzell SC
Old 10-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by denviola View Post
That is a classic sign of a failed sail switch. It is an odd device with a long metal tail. As Marty said above, look for debris or bugs or even spiders that keep the small switch from operating. If no obstructions, check the switch for continuity. The switch closes on air flow and allows the igniter to operate. Do a search on sail switch - there are many great resources out there. The good thing is that the switch is inexpensive and easy to replace. The bad part is that the furnace can be a PITA to remove.
Here is a video on how to test the switch. The switch in the video is a vacuum device rather than one with a tail that is moved by air flow, but the testing method is the same.https://youtu.be/3qt8Y33fKls
Here is a link to switches on ebay Sail Switch | eBay I bought mine at a local dealer for just about the same price, and did not have to wait for delivery. While your furnace is out, take some aluminum tape and seal up all the loose knockouts and connections for improved heated air flow.
Good answer Den! Better than mine! You're probably right!
Dalzell SC
Old 10-16-2015, 09:04 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Well denviola, it's been a while. What do you think? He got it started, and went to bed without telling us? He's still digging? Or worse? I wish they would let us know.
Dalzell SC
Old 10-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

mine worked fine at home too.....
Had same problem with my furnace on elk hunt had to switch on and off many times to finally fire and heat .. it sucked but got me through the hunt .. got up many times at night flipped on let fan shut off tr[ed tell finally lights {
8 days of hunting lows in high 20s }
. sh$$ happens make the best of it .. hope this helps. in for repair Nov. 2
aupainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:35 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
Well denviola, it's been a while. What do you think? He got it started, and went to bed without telling us? He's still digging? Or worse? I wish they would let us know.
Depending on where the furnace is will determine how hard it is to check and repair. In a TT I owned, it was easy to get to - under a bed. In my Elevation it was at the far opposite side of the underneath storage compartment behind the wall. I had to work inside to disconnect electric and gas but could not find the mounting screws. Had to remove the intake and exhaust air plate from the outside to find the screws and use a very long screwdriver to get to them. Put it back together differently for the next time, but never happened again. The bad thing is that you cannot test switch from outside the furnace (I think), must take blower apart to get to it. Since he said he was at a campground, may not have enough tools, and have to shut off gas to work on it so will not be able to use his stove.
As also mentioned above, the switch may be intermittant. When removed, mine tested ok periodically and I'm glad I replaced it. Also glad I bought a small electric fireplace too!
President, Susquehanna Valley Chapter Shelby Dodge Auto Club (SDAC).
denviola is offline   Reply With Quote