Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

General TT camping questions with Sunset Trail Super Lite

So my wife and I saw a SS291RK this past weekend, and we're looking at putting a deposit on one the dealer said he has coming in later this week, to pick up this upcoming weekend. I have some basic questions that came up now that we're getting closer to actually getting the TT, and was hoping I could get some experiences and input from you all. Figured I'd throw them all in one thread to keep from cluttering up the forum.

First...what do you do for TV service when you are either dry camping or camping at a park that has limited services? Does everyone just pay for satellite? I was thinking about using internet streaming, like getting a Chromecast and using SlingTV and Netflix. At that point we'd obviously have to up our data usage for the month, and pay for a month of SlingTV if we use that, but it'd be a no-contracts way to easily only pay for what we use. But then again, we'd only get TV if we're somewhere with a 4G connection. What is everyone out there using?

Second - the SS291RK is a 33' 4" OAL trailer. How difficult will it be to find state and national parks that have RV pads that big? And if we bring a 33' trailer and park it on a pad that the park lists for a 30' rig, how likely are they to complain about the 3' overage?

As far as decor in the TT, we were thinking about throwing some pictures in storage, and hanging them when we get where we're going. Nothing excessive, just a little bit to make it feel more like home. What's our best mounting option in the Sunset Trail Superlite brand? Do 3M hanging strips secure to those walls? I'm guessing you don't want to use nails to hang things - that seems like a bad idea, right?

The last question I had is about A/V modifications. The TT we're getting has the Furrion 39" TV in the living area, and a sticker on the wall in the bedroom indicating it's a TV mounting location. Are those stickers placed properly? Like if I got a VESA mount and screwed it on top of the sticker, would there be some 2x behind there for it to bite into? Also, I was trying to find a way to see the back side of the CD/Bluetooth stereo head unit, but couldn't find it. Looking to find a way to pipe the TV(s) into the speakers, but from what I could see the best bet is going to be to just run a 1/8" cable from the TV's output to the AUX IN on the head unit? And how difficult is upgrading the speakers? Are they just standard 4" or 4.5" speakers that I can swap out, or are the bezels and such not removable?

Thanks, everyone!
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

With the digital antenna we've been able to get upwards of 50 channels, granted 20 are religious or Spanish channels, but we can usually find something to watch. IMHO with satellite you pay for more channels you won't watch.
As far a length, you'll have do your homework, ours is 39' & we can't do most state/national parks, yes they usually have several spots big/long enough, but you cannot get to them due to narrow roads or low limbs.
Most all of our wall hangings are held by 3M command strips just clean all surfaces with alcohol before sticking them & I've found more is better, if you think 4 will hold it use 6, in over 4 years nothing has fallen off the walls. I do have a clock & fairly large picture frame hung with short screws.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With the digital antenna we've been able to get upwards of 50 channels, granted 20 are religious or Spanish channels, but we can usually find something to watch. IMHO with satellite you pay for more channels you won't watch.
As far a length, you'll have do your homework, ours is 39' & we can't do most state/national parks, yes they usually have several spots big/long enough, but you cannot get to them due to narrow roads or low limbs.
Most all of our wall hangings are held by 3M command strips just clean all surfaces with alcohol before sticking them & I've found more is better, if you think 4 will hold it use 6, in over 4 years nothing has fallen off the walls. I do have a clock & fairly large picture frame hung with short screws.
Thanks for the input!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you have Dish satellite at home, you can get service on the road for $7 a month. You can even suspend service for no additional fee for the months you don't need it. You do have to purchase an antenna and satellite box to begin with. I use the King satellite antenna and the VIP 211 box. You can buy them in a package for about $350. You will get all your channels you do at home, as long as there are no obstructions. Sometimes you will not have HD on all channels, or may be missing some channels. The good thing with the portable antenna is that you can move it around to overcome tree obstructions, etc.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
If you have Dish satellite at home, you can get service on the road for $7 a month. You can even suspend service for no additional fee for the months you don't need it. You do have to purchase an antenna and satellite box to begin with. I use the King satellite antenna and the VIP 211 box. You can buy them in a package for about $350. You will get all your channels you do at home, as long as there are no obstructions. Sometimes you will not have HD on all channels, or may be missing some channels. The good thing with the portable antenna is that you can move it around to overcome tree obstructions, etc.
Thanks, Steve. Where we live, the cable companies all have a competitive agreement so you have one option for cable and internet, and satellite providers can't partner with any of the normal internet providers for bundle pricing. We're stuck with terrible service and support reps who know we have no other options. We'd probably get better service just getting an unlimited data plan from a cell provider and using streaming TV, so we may end up getting better service out on the road then at home!
Old 02-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

We use our phones at hot spots and bought a amazon firestick. If you have amazon prime which I highly recommend amazon TV is free.
2014 Sunset Trail 32bh

"I work so I can CAMP, I camp to get away from WORK"
dminer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Before you commit to any expensive dish solution, hold off and see what you get. As mentioned before, FREE over-the-air TV is WAY better now that it is digital. If, like most, you've been used to cable or dish, and thought an antenna would only get you three snowy channels, you would be wrong. When the transmitters went from analog to digital several years ago, they can now transmit about 4 channels where there was once one. Example, channel 10 locally becomes 10.1, 10.2 - 10.4. the .1 is always the primary, and usually the only one in HD. (Better HD than the cable provides). The others are often old-time TV, Black, Spanish, and shopping.
We've found out we are less interested in television while camping. Another solution, is to bring a few special DVDs you want to watch.
Give it six months. In the meantime, I promise you will find PLENTY of items for the new camper to spend your money on! Enjoy!
As for camp site lengths, some are arbitrary (you can hang over) and some are fixed (tree or utility in the back side). Your biggest challenge in most state parks will be maneuvering, not parking.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
Before you commit to any expensive dish solution, hold off and see what you get. As mentioned before, FREE over-the-air TV is WAY better now that it is digital. If, like most, you've been used to cable or dish, and thought an antenna would only get you three snowy channels, you would be wrong. When the transmitters went from analog to digital several years ago, they can now transmit about 4 channels where there was once one. Example, channel 10 locally becomes 10.1, 10.2 - 10.4. the .1 is always the primary, and usually the only one in HD. (Better HD than the cable provides). The others are often old-time TV, Black, Spanish, and shopping.
We've found out we are less interested in television while camping. Another solution, is to bring a few special DVDs you want to watch.
Give it six months. In the meantime, I promise you will find PLENTY of items for the new camper to spend your money on! Enjoy!
As for camp site lengths, some are arbitrary (you can hang over) and some are fixed (tree or utility in the back side). Your biggest challenge in most state parks will be maneuvering, not parking.
Thanks! For the time being, a lot of our usage will be at dog shows, meaning we'll probably use the TV a lot more than we would when camping... But we will probably hold off on the TV service for a while.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Well TV is good on rainy days but are you really going camping to watch TV. I use to use a satellite dish and bring my box from home but I don't do it anymore. Don't get me wrong if you want TV there's nothing wrong with it. But like has been said, wait and try the antenna first with the booster. Good luck and enjoy.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Well TV is good on rainy days but are you really going camping to watch TV. I use to use a satellite dish and bring my box from home but I don't do it anymore. Don't get me wrong if you want TV there's nothing wrong with it. But like has been said, wait and try the antenna first with the booster. Good luck and enjoy.
I think that's the plan for now. When we're actually camping the TVs will definitely be off, but we're going to be doing a lot of long weekends at dog shows.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

As mentioned...lots of DVD's....we usually take 10 or so each trip out just in case we are weathered in for awhile. Another option you have is standard cable if the campsite has the hook up, which quite a few do. I carry a 30' section of coax with the trailer so if it is available, I usually use it. The antennae on the trailer works okay, but channel selection will be limited.

I have seen many campers get zoned in on attempting to get their dish systems up and running. I was in Canada last year and watched a guy for three hours move his dish around inch by inch attempting to get a signal for his system. Watching that was better than any TV......