Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Good ol' Faded brown Cap

I am now a disgruntled member of the faded front cap club. My 2013 only sees the outdoors 6 months of the year, but it started this summer.

Just wondering if anyone in the Maritime provinces in Canada has had theirs repainted. If so, where and how much. I doubt Crossroads will help but will contact them anyway.
2014 Ram Hemi Outdoorsman 3:92RE
2013 ST Reserve 30RE
p4lrjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I just picked up a used 2014, noticed the cap has been repainted.
gsbuick65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
Site Team

The term repainted is actually incorrect. The original caps are a colored gel coat. There lies the problem. When they do it over, I believe they use an automotive paint to make it look new. It should not fade after the paint job. just keep it uv protected with a good polymer coating.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

It's a "feature" not an issue

No two fade alike so you can tell which one is yours !!!

sorry, not funny, is it ?
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

To funny!! I had to have mine done by camping world last summer. It looks better than the first day we brought it home. Good luck with the cap. It was frustrating dealing w camping world over it.

DaddyO & GG
Kids and Cat
2010 Tundra 4x4 CrewMax 5.7 (gas hog)
2013 Sunset Trail 29SS Reserve
Daddyo&GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
The term repainted is actually incorrect. The original caps are a colored gel coat. There lies the problem. When they do it over, I believe they use an automotive paint to make it look new. It should not fade after the paint job. just keep it uv protected with a good polymer coating.
Not sure what this means? Mine was repainted, by a body shop, with auto paint. Looks great. You can see yourself in it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
Site Team

Original caps are not painted. the gel coat color is inside the mold for the shape of the cap. When they redo the caps, they use automotive paint, just like on a car.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Ahh...got it. You are correct.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 08-31-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

ok, but no has answered the second part of the question..... what would be the cost to get it repainted. would that include new decals?
Old 08-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Cost to repaint is determined by the body shop you chose. Get some estimates. As far as decals, Crossroads might be able to provide new ones, or here is a link to a custom decal shop that will reproduce what you need. Custom RV Decals replaced & removed, Prescott Az - HOME - , They will ship you what you need, you can install yourself or have the body shop do it after paint job.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Been There!!

Maaco in the Burnside Industrial Park can accommodate your rig. I had mine done in the Spring under warranty. Cost was 1300 or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4lrjfd View Post
I am now a disgruntled member of the faded front cap club. My 2013 only sees the outdoors 6 months of the year, but it started this summer.

Just wondering if anyone in the Maritime provinces in Canada has had theirs repainted. If so, where and how much. I doubt Crossroads will help but will contact them anyway.

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

If not under warranty you will have to get estimates. Keep in mind that decals have to wait for several weeks for paint to cure before going on or so I was told.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 09-01-2015, 06:06 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Why would it not be under warranty as this is most CERTAINLY a mfg defect and a common problem ?!?
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Here is another, much less expensive solution for you to try. I used it on our last 5th wheel for a faded front cap and it came out looking brand new. The product is called Poli-Glo and I bought it on Amazon. I think the kit was about $70.00. It worked amazingly well and the front cap looked better than it did brand new. It took about 2 hours to do the front cap and another 3-4 to do the rest of the trailer. They claim it will last up to 12 months, but we traded in about 3 weeks after I did it. Hope the next guy enjoys the fruits of my hard labor! Here is a link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Poli-Glow-Appl...words=poliglow

Bill and Kim Wandrack
Wake Forest NC
2015 Crossroads Elevation Talladega
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW
6.7L High Output Diesel
AISIN 6 spd auto 4:10
bwandrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Why would it not be under warranty as this is most CERTAINLY a mfg defect and a common problem ?!?
The 2013's start fading just after the one year manufacturer warranty expires and Cross Roads makes it clear that you are out of warranty and they will not fix the fading. Also, the extended warranty programs do not cover this type of repair either.

So, you either live with it or pay out-of-pocket to have it fixed properly as some folks have mentioned here.

Word to the wise - don't buy a trailer with dark coatings - stick with the brands who still use white, if that fades, no one really notices!

From tent camping to 2013 - Sunset Trail Reserve 32 Bunk House
Crobyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #16
Site Team

It's really to bad CR has taken that stance. I agree with johnboytoo about it be a mfg defect, and, one that they are well aware of.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #17
Site Team

If you can't get Crossroads to repair it, here is an alternative to restore it:
Products To Restore and Protect Oxidized Surfaces

Old 09-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #18
New Camper

Have just gone round and round with CR over this issue with no success. A manufacturer of outdoor recreational equipment should know that the equipment will be outdoors. It's an expense we shouldn't have to pay, warranty or not.

2014 ST 32 BH
Robert Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Crossroads paid to have our cap painted while under warranty. It is an industry issue and should be covered beyond the warranty period. Fading in dark colors show up sooner but greys and whites are failing at the same rate. Lighter colors are not as noticeable until you get right up on them. We choose not to have the decal put back on assuming it would crack and fade within the next five years. Cap looks better without the decal IMO.
kidsolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

I need to have mine painted too. It was stored indoors most of the time so it took longer to fade.

It is currently up on blocks on my seasonal site. I really don't want to drag it to a body shop. Anybody know if they can paint it outdoors?

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote