Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Great First time out until...

WE had a great first time out, until we got home. We unloaded the camper and when I was pulling the camper out of the yard I got a little too close to the house and but a half inch tear in the awning. The when I got to storage I was checking everything out inside the camper and the gas door holder broke when a huge gust of wind opened the door too far. Anyone know of an easy way to get a new gas strut? And what can i do to the awning?

I just want to go back to the camp ground and go to sleep and pretend this never happened.

Thanks in advance, Labbie

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

There is special tape for repairing the awning, you should be able to get it at CW or your local dealer. Take the gas strut to the dealer also and have him order a replacement, hopefully you didn't damage the door also.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Our daughter got her fifth wheel out of storage yesterday and when she thought she was hitched up, she wasn't. She pulled slowly away, only to have the trailer land on the pick-up. It landed on the tailgate and did no damage (o.k., maybe a tiny little scratch you can hardly see). She was lucky!

There is so much damage you can do so easily, it's scary! I hope you get your stuff fixed for not too much money.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

On the strut (also known as gas spring) there should be markings to tell you how strong it is. Then you can go to this website and order a new one. Skip the dealer.

SPD Hardware - Gas Springs, Hinges, Catches, Latches, Handles, Drawer Slides, Rope Rings, Door Holders, Weather-stripping

There may be other places to order the gas spring but I have used this one with success to fix one of my own boo boo's.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Don't feel too bad, Labbie. I've been pulling campers for 10 years and never put a scratch on one until the other day. I pulled my fifth wheel out of the RV shed in order to pour concrete. When I backed it in beside the garage, I grazed the gutter on the garage and bent it. Nothing serious, and did no damage to the camper, but it just shows that no matter how many times you've backed one in before, complacency can lead to trouble. I'll watch it a lot closer from now on.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

X 2 on awning repair tape. I think Wal-Mart might even have it but camping world definitely does......oh and all of us can answer these issues because we have had a been there done that. We tore our awning when we left it out Untied in pA last year. Camping world dented our old tt and we fixed it ourselves with a rubber mallet and caulking. We have done many stupid things and our tt survived. While not funny at the time, we can look back and laugh now. Just keep your since of humor, you will need it.

If you are bored, this might make you feel better.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
X 2 on awning repair tape. I think Wal-Mart might even have it but camping world definitely does......oh and all of us can answer these issues because we have had a been there done that. We tore our awning when we left it out Untied in pA last year. Camping world dented our old tt and we fixed it ourselves with a rubber mallet and caulking. We have done many stupid things and our tt survived. While not funny at the time, we can look back and laugh now. Just keep your since of humor, you will need it.

If you are bored, this might make you feel better.

Thanks for the recommendations, I picked up the tape at Menards, but the gas spring is being a little more difficult. All I really need is the plastic mount that goes over the ball stud, the gas spring its self is fine and if found the plastic piece can be threaded back on.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

The company at the link I posted above has the end pieces and attachment points for the gas springs
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to kidyounger
Forget the strut, stupid idea door only opens half way, mine broke the same way. Installed a door latch on trailer so door is latch full open against the trailer. Makes it easier bringing things into the trailer. Just a suggestion.
kidyounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau Duke To Go View Post
The company at the link I posted above has the end pieces and attachment points for the gas springs
I saw the ball studs when I looked earlier but didn't see the sockets, I will look again. Thanks for the tip again Chateau Duke To Go.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyounger View Post
Forget the strut, stupid idea door only opens half way, mine broke the same way. Installed a door latch on trailer so door is latch full open against the trailer. Makes it easier bringing things into the trailer. Just a suggestion.
The dealer that I went to today ( not where I bought) had those and I am considering it.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:36 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labbie View Post
Thanks for the recommendations, I picked up the tape at Menards, but the gas spring is being a little more difficult. All I really need is the plastic mount that goes over the ball stud, the gas spring its self is fine and if found the plastic piece can be threaded back on.
Well the first piece of tape came off already, even after a through cleaning and still waiting on the gas spring to come in, I ordered it from two different camper stores and it appears to be back-ordered. Luckily I stole the one off my bathroom door. I did check out the link that Chateau recommended but the end would have been as much as 2 gas spring assemblies, but I might have to go that route.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

A good sense of humor is good advice. After washing the trailer yesterday I took it to the indoor storage garage I have for it and while backing in, rubbed the rear gutter spout on the plywood wall. No damage to the fiberglass, but will need to "adjust" the gutter spout. The gas grill bumper mount also hit the wall and took the hit as well instead of the trailer itself. No damage there. That mount is built like a tank.

I like the idea with the door...half open is useless.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyounger View Post
X2...Had this done before I took possession. I would check the gutter spout that was hit. May need to be resecured or replaced and caulked.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote