Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2022, 11:52 PM   #1
New Camper

Help: install slideout top awning but cause slideout not working

Hi,
I bought lippert slideout top awning and try to install by myself, the instruction is easy to follow but after install the fiber rail, I found the slideout won't work anymore.
I can hear some electric current sound and light become dark a bit when I click in/out button, but slideout motor just not moving.
The rail install on the top most of slideout wall, does anyone know if the wire go through that place? if my screw did drill in the wire, how can I fix it?
Thanks!
fatbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:22 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Slide toppers are spring loaded, maybe a pin or something keeping it from unrolling during installation. That would hold your slide from coming out.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:27 PM   #3
Site Team

We had a awning installed and it was pre loaded/ spring was under tension. There was a pin/screw that you removed once installed. I would think a slide topper would be the same. Sounds like the motor is working but with the switch light dimming sounds like it still has a pin in it. If a screw went thru the wire it would short and blow a fuse.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:05 PM   #4
New Camper

Sorry my description is confuse, I install the rail but not install the roll yet, nothing is blocking the slide out, so not the safety pin issue; I have my AC plug in, so not the battery issue; when I click in the motor sounds working but it’s already in, when I click out, the motor has some current sound and the light turn dark a bit but not move!
My trailer is sunset trail 27BH, I just suspect the rail screw might broken some wire, is the in and out wire the same?
fatbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Thank you for posting what camper you have. It helps to know what camper you have to provide the best help. For convenience you can add a signature with that information.

You have a BAL Accuslide cable slide. The motor and cables are easily accessed from inside above the slide out. Not knowing what size screws that you used one could have penetrated into the inside and have a cable bound up. Look up "My RV Works" on YouTube

He has a very good in-depth video on the repair and operation of that type slide. He is a mobile RV repair Tech. A little long winded but very good.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

It sounds a lot like you put a screw through a wire. You can just back out the screws, one at a time, and see if it works. Normally, you would just have punctured the wire insulation, and hopefully will be fine once the screw is out.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:08 PM   #7
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
It sounds a lot like you put a screw through a wire. You can just back out the screws, one at a time, and see if it works. Normally, you would just have punctured the wire insulation, and hopefully will be fine once the screw is out.
I think so too, I will test it by un-screw one-by-one, will update later!
Old 03-12-2022, 10:42 PM   #8
New Camper

RESOLVED: the root cause of issue is that one of the rail screw punch in and contact the slide out wire, I think it’s the OUT wire, because the IN is working but when I click the OUT, the wire connect to the whole RV through the screw, so I see the light turn dark but no power for the motor! I unscrew it and problem solved!
Old 03-13-2022, 06:18 AM   #9
Site Team

Good deal!!
Thanks for reporting back.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #10
Wit
Weekend Camper

I had similar mishap last year. I had screws falling out of our slide out and replaced with longer ones. Slide out lights wouldn't work. I also had to back each one out until they came back on. Live and learn!
Wit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 02:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Glad you fixed it and also you let us know how you resolved the issue.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #12
Wit
Weekend Camper

Not sure if you replied to me or Fatbird, but I just got a shorter screw and filled the hole with silicone and didn't have any problems after that.
Wit is offline   Reply With Quote