Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2021, 01:36 PM   #1
New Camper

Hooked up battery wrong - opps - where I found all the fuses to fix everything

2015 Sunset Trail 30RE

This spring I hooked up my boaster pack incorrectly to the battery. It was dark and the battery was dead and I needed power for the electric hitch. I hooked the booster backwards and after that nothing worked.... here is what I had to do.

1) In the main panel replace 4 auto fuses and a few other fuses. Basically check ever auto fuse in the main panel. when you hooked up the battery incorrectly you sent power to every 12 volt item down the ground wire... not a good thing.

2) Fix air conditioner - Inside of the thermostat is a old style auto glass tube fuse. replace it.

3) On the electric hitch - on the power wire to the battery (mine was covered with black tape) is a 30amp auto fuse. replace it.

4) Entertainment system dead. On the back of the radio/cdplayer/amp is an auto fuse. You must remove the entertainment system and pull it out completely to find the fuse. I missed it the first time.

5) I had some outlet out in the trailer even though I reset all the breakers. 3 outlets were out because I failed to find and reset the GFCI outlet in the bathroom. That fixed 3 outlets.

6) The final issue was the fireplace no longer worked. I searched for a fuse inside the fireplace and did not find one. finally I checked the outlet behind the fireplace and realized that there was no 120 power at the outlet. Here is the fix to that outlet that I posted on another thread - On the 30 amp system it has a rocker switch so that you cannot run the fireplace and the electric water heater at the same time. The rocker switch controls a relay. Here is what happens. When changing out a battery you can blow a fuse (or in my case a dozen fuses) if you hook up the battery incorrect or attach a booster backwards. If your electric water heater works but your fireplace doesn't (or vise versa) no matter what position the rocker switch is in, you have blown the fuse on this circuit. If neither work you probably blew the relay. I still don't know where the relay is located but just behind the rocker switch (in the wall) is an auto fuse that is blown. You need to remove the whole wall panel and pull the wires out to get to it. Change that fuse and it will all probably start working again.

Hope this helps some people....

Good Luck (GL Fan)
Minnesota Mark
minnesotamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Thank you for the nice write up. I did not know there were any fuses behind the wall panel.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:43 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Bet you won’t do that again. We learn faster from our mistakes. Nice write up. It will probably help someone else. Glade you got it fixed.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:39 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotamark View Post
2015 Sunset Trail 30RE

Hope this helps some people....

Good Luck (GL Fan)
Minnesota Mark
Sorry for the trouble this led to. Man that's a lot of trouble shooting. Glad you got it working again.
Thanks for the wriiteup.

Dustin

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:37 AM   #5
Wit
Weekend Camper

I did the same thing this spring. Luckily I just blew 2 fuses on the back of the converter. Replaced those and made it through the camping season. After we made it back from our last trip the converter started acting up. Only have of our lights were working. Replaced the converter and all seems to be well at this time. I don't know if the converter was damaged from this or not but I definitely learned a lesson! Glad you are back up and running, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has brain farts occasionally!😂
Wit is offline   Reply With Quote