Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
New Camper

Hot Water for only a few seconds

Well it was a fun weekend for sure. Our first trip out with the new camper. Everything went very smoothly except the hot water would only last for a few seconds. It would get hot but only last for a few seconds. I did notice the whole time I was at the campground it seemed to still be purging air each time it ws turned on. Was there just a tremendous amount of air in the system? As it did seem to finally get hot and stay that way this morning. Thanks for any suggestions.
2013 Sunset trail 30rk
Msaslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
Site Team

When you connect at the campground and fill the water system, burp the hot water heater by opening the safety valve on the water heater. Close it then open your hot and cold water valves inside to expel the rest of the air. After the air is out, then you could turn on the hot water heater. This should be done whenever you hook up.
Other place to check is to make sure your winterizing valves on the heater are in the correct position.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Also ,when you hook up the hose to a tap ,make sure you fill the hoe with water before you hook it to your camper,that way no air in the line ,thus no air in the system. and check your outside shower to see if it is shut off at taps.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

We had the same (almost) problem our first trip out before we learned much about its operation. Ours was hot for a few brief seconds and then cold. Same thing next time we turned it on...and the next. The difference was that ours did not purge air. Turns out that I still had the winterizing valves in the water heater bypass mode. I had opened the one to let water into the heater but not the one to let it out. I guess a little seeped out each time to get into the main line and we got a few seconds worth each time. If it turns out that purging the air is not the problem, you could double check your valve system.

What ways shall I wish I had taken when I am leaving this world? - William Law

Rhizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

x3 on the air pockets. If your running the water heater, remember that purged air and water is going to really hot, so be prepared.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

x5...This has got to be the most common problem/question. They just don't seem to cover it when doing the PDI.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
New Camper

We just bought a 2015 Sunset Trail and had the identical problem our first trip out. Purging air may help but our problem was solved by getting the water heater bypass valves in the correct position. Having thought the camper came to us winterized and bypassed, I opened the bypass valve when in fact it was closed and should have remained closed. When I opened it, it just allowed hot water to circulate local to the heater, with some residual hot water maybe making it to the faucet for about 20-30 seconds. Once I closed the bypass valve, problem solved - nice long runs of hot water. Good luck!
Swmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote