Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Anyone have any trouble with the kitchen sink leaking? It appears to be leaking from two spots. Where the faucet meets up to the countertop and where the sink meets up to countertop. My wife was doing the dishes and water was all over the countertop and could see water drops under cabinet. Just seeing if this is a problem area or a fluke.
Thanks
cberney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

First i remember of anyone posting of this issue but in the home arena, it's pretty common. There should be caulking around (and plumbers putty under if it's Stainless) the sink. The faucet should have plumbers putty under it. Lots of installers take shortcuts and this is one of them.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I had to tighten up our drain pipes under the sink. Just a minor issue.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
New Camper

I have the same issue.Both sink and faucet seals - from water getting under those areas while washing. I've noticed some gaps in the caulking under the sink.
Dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
First i remember of anyone posting of this issue but in the home arena, it's pretty common. There should be caulking around (and plumbers putty under if it's Stainless) the sink. The faucet should have plumbers putty under it. Lots of installers take shortcuts and this is one of them.
I know this is an old post, but since my sink is leaking again, I thought I would ask about it.

I have the Corian(?) countertop with a stainless sink. When we first moved in, water was running from between the Corian and the sinktop and leaking down into the cabinet below. After a few days of unloading the cabinet and drying, I went to Lowe's and got silicone and ran a very thin bead around the top of the sink where it joined the Corian. That stopped the leaking until tonight. (I just did a thin bead so I could put the sink covers back on, was afraid using as much as I would to caulk a tub would prevent them from fitting.)

I suspect a kid leaned on the sink causing the bead to break, but now I have an additional problem. The right hand sink is leaking right under the sink, where a piece of plastic joins the sink. (Sorry I don't know the terms.)

I saw this post mentioned plumbers putty for stainless sinks...where do I put that? I assume that would help/stop the leaking from between the sink and Corian? (and if mine was supposed to already have some caulk or putty there...it did not, nor did any new ones on the CW lot I went to after I noticed mine leaking. wanted to know if it should have something there, because it strikes me as a bad design to have the gap for water to get through.)

I'll get under the sink tomorrow and look at the plastic piece that leaking under so I can better describe it and hopefully someone can guide me into how to fix.

(I'm beginning to think those of us with little to no handyman skills should not own RVs lol)
Lyrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #6
Site Team

First of all, you will have to remove all the silicone. Silicone is not a great choice for sealing the sink esp if you have to add more. Silicone does not stick to silicone. Make sure whatever your use, it says that it is safe for stainless steel sinks AND corian. Disconnect all connections to sink and remove and reinstall with new caulk. Google how to install a stainless steel sink and watch the video if you need help. Or you will have to get a plumber in. (But this is a job you can do yourself)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
First of all, you will have to remove all the silicone. Silicone is not a great choice for sealing the sink esp if you have to add more. Silicone does not stick to silicone. Make sure whatever your use, it says that it is safe for stainless steel sinks AND corian. Disconnect all connections to sink and remove and reinstall with new caulk. Google how to install a stainless steel sink and watch the video if you need help. Or you will have to get a plumber in. (But this is a job you can do yourself)
Is caulk going to be enough or do I need plumber's putty as mentioned above? I'm pretty sure this job we can handle LOL. Just have to figure out what's leaking under the sink before I go messing around.
Lyrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #8
Site Team

If it's the drain, dry off every drainpipe and fill sink with water, then drain while you are looking for a loose dripping joint. If it's a water pipe, dry off all the water pipes and look for seeping water at connections.

Whatever of the two, caulk or putty, is safe for corian and stainless steel.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Just checked it out. Plumbers putty could leach into the corian. In your case, remove the silicone completely from counter and sink. Don't use any type of mineral spirits, it will stain the corian. Now, since you removed all the silicone, and new bead of clear silicone will stick to the sink and counter. Under the sink there should be some clips you remove to release the sink. Reinstall clips after setting the sink into counter.

Good luck