Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2022, 08:15 AM   #1
New Camper

Leak

Just bought a 2014. New to camper life. Anyway, brought it home and noticed a leak from underneath after we turned on the AC. Looks like it could be coming from a tank area. Not sure. It’s between the back wheels. Didn’t notice it until after the AC was running for awhile. Also, noticed a drip from the back right corner like it is running down the trim.
Just looking for advice.
KB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:38 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

The A/C condensate should drip onto the roof and will likely end up in a gutter..

If your have it dripping from under the camper, it's most likely a leak and has nothing to do with the AC.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:51 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I would get up on your roof and pull the A/C cover off to cheek if the drain hole is plugged. It should be draining directly on the roof.

Also, the Chloroplast Plastic on the bottom can be cut to form a small inspection hole. If larger repairs are needed, it can be removed. I might start with a 3-sided cut (forming a box.. just dont cut the 4th side) near the leak. That way it can be taped up afterwards. I like Gorilla Tape to seal it back up. You can also use screws and a small scrap of wood.

007matman AKA Matt
Old 04-29-2022, 10:05 AM   #4
Site Team

Hello And Welcome!

As stated the AC will drip condensate water and it usually will run off the lowest corner of the camper. You will notice it more when the humidity is a little higher.

The leak under the trailer would be a different thing. Have you filled your water tank? Are you connected to a water hose?

One other thing -- If you would include the Make, Model, And year of your camper it helps others to better help you if we know what you are working on.

A good way to do this is to add it to your signature.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Other possibility is that you have no drip spout on the gutter of the roof. If not, the water will run down the side of the camper and MAY run under the camper.
Before cutting the Chloroplast, look where your fresh water tank is. If it is near the back end, remove some of the screws and look first before you have to cut it.
If you have to reseal with Gorilla tape, heat it with a blow dryer to set the tape.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:36 AM   #6
New Camper

Thank you for all of the responses.
There was water still in the grey tanks, we emptied those. We don’t even have a water line hooked up yet so, shouldn’t be a leak from that. We cut a small hole in the chloroplast. When cut, it dripped a little faster for a few seconds and now it’s just a slow drip. Can’t see exactly where it’s coming from. Seems odd for it to continue to drip with no water source and the tanks empty.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:25 AM   #7
Site Team

Just a guess on my part. Kind of like thinking out loud.
Was or had the camper been in use when you bought it? If so, it's possible the previous owner filled the tank and water came out the over flow/vent, and it ran down inside. I know some of the guys have stated the over flow/vent line didn't stick down thru the bottom. Some said it was disconnected.

Can you see the drain valve for the fresh water tank sticking out the bottom?
As far as the slow continual drip, if there was enough water in there so it could slosh around, maybe the insulation got wet and that would account for the slow drip.
If you have to drop the bottom to see in there to correct the problem, make sure to check all the fittings and connectors.

Just a few ideas for you to check out.

OH, add the make, model, and year of your camper in your signature. Then we will all know what you have and it might make it easier for someone to give you and answer.
Good luck.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:31 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I think I'd fill the tanks and see if it'll start dripping more again.

If it starts dripping again, I think I'd look with a flashlight through the inspection hole to see if you can tell where it's coming from. If not, I'd start removing the panel. Don't cut it off.. you'll want to put it back in place when you're done.

I'm going to bet it'll be fairly obvious. I've seen instances where a screw penetrated it, small cuts, bad joints, leaking valves, etc.

If it doesn't leak more, I'd tape it up and call it a fluke. I'd monitor and see if it starts again.

007matman AKA Matt
Old 05-01-2022, 04:30 PM   #9
New Camper

Cut a small hole, 3 sided as recommended, and can definitely tell that water is running from the front of the camper toward the area of the “drip”. It isn’t leaking like it was when we first parked it. But, when we pulled down a little on the underbelly at the hole we made, more water came out.
Also, on another thread about the fresh water tank being full and maybe leaking or overflowing during travel. Don’t know if that happens or not. We were told by the guy we bought it from that he never used the fresh water tank so we just assumed it was empty. Decided to check it anyway. Definitely not empty. I don’t know how long it has been full. He said he owned it for 6 years. I’m not sure if that’s the source or not, but we emptied it. Plan on checking closer to the tank tomorrow from the underbelly to see if everything is soaked in that area.
KB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:14 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I personally have never seen it where an overflow wasn't routed or had an issue that caused the issue that you describe.

Not saying it ain't possible because who knows.

007matman AKA Matt
Old 05-01-2022, 08:34 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

If the fresh water tank is full possibly the backflow valve in the water pump has failed. If it has the tank would fill when connected to city water.
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:54 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB13 View Post
Just bought a 2014. New to camper life. Anyway, brought it home and noticed a leak from underneath after we turned on the AC. Looks like it could be coming from a tank area. Not sure. It’s between the back wheels. Didn’t notice it until after the AC was running for awhile. Also, noticed a drip from the back right corner like it is running down the trim.
Just looking for advice.

Just my 2 cents, If you bought your camper from a dealership, take it back, have them determine the source of the leak. You should have some warantee, even on a used camper. (depending on how long ago you picked it up?)
Old 05-02-2022, 02:28 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB13 View Post
Just looking for advice.
If you put the year, make and model of your RV in the signature line of your profile, we will know what RV that you have.
The 'leak' from the roof down the trim is the condensate from the A/C unit, and is normal. It just dumps on the roof. Most campers of that model year had a gutter and a gutter extension for water coming off the roof, to avoid it coming down the side of the camper. You might want to look into that.
The leak underneath is a big concern. It sounds as though you have an underbelly cover, so you are going to have to remove some of that to look for the leak. There are self-tapping screws along the edge of the coroplast cover that shouldn't be too hard to remove. Be careful and do not use power tools to loosen them, they will break off. Some people have been known to cut the coroplast and tape it back up. In my opinion, it is hard enough to keep the coroplast in place, and I'm not going to make it harder. In fact, I had to add crossbraces because of the sagging.
Good luck finding the leak. I had one that was hard to find, because it only leaked fresh water when I filled my fresh water tank fast enough to cause it to leak past the overflow connection.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote